Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities - 2012

NoMoreABD

ladybug3, thanks for this response! I wish I had gone to the info sessions but unfortunately missed them due to schedule conflicts. Did they mention whether they review ALL applications or do they automatically discard those that are weak in a specific area (ie/ a weak gpa)? Like most applicants, I'm probably overly focused on the area that I think is weak in my own application. It would just be awful to have done all of that work on the statement of purpose only to find out that they didn't even read it.

For the two year program, do you have to pick a stream (ie/mental health, gerontology)? It must be very competitive. Good for you to have gotten on the waitlist--that tells you that you are 'in', just not enough spots. Did you contact them after you found out on how to strengthen you app this time around?

Again, thanks for your response. Good luck to you, although it sounds like you will do just fine :)

It sounds like they review all applications that meet the minimum requirements. The program is competitive; there isn't enough room to let in people who do not meet the minimum. I think the minimum is a B, so as long as you have the minimum you will be examined for everything.

The two year program doesn't choose a stream until half way through the first year, however I wrote my application applying for mental health. It is quite competitive though. More than 600 applicants for 125 spots at UofT last year.. but I am thinking I have improved enough in the last year that I /should/ get in with a similar applicant pool as last year. However, like all people, I am trying not to get too optimistic. Competition is tough and you never know who else is applying.. competition, not ability, seems to be the main obstacle in getting in..

What stream did you pick? And are you from TO?

It sounds like they review all applications that meet the minimum requirements. The program is competitive; there isn't enough room to let in people who do not meet the minimum. I think the minimum is a B, so as long as you have the minimum you will be examined for everything.

The two year program doesn't choose a stream until half way through the first year, however I wrote my application applying for mental health. It is quite competitive though. More than 600 applicants for 125 spots at UofT last year.. but I am thinking I have improved enough in the last year that I /should/ get in with a similar applicant pool as last year. However, like all people, I am trying not to get too optimistic. Competition is tough and you never know who else is applying.. competition, not ability, seems to be the main obstacle in getting in..

What stream did you pick? And are you from TO?

Thanks for the info! I wonder how many of the 600 applications are incomplete? That is, out of the 600+, I'm sure that there must be some that failed to submit all documents/fees etc. As well, I wonder how many of these applicants are applying to the advanced standing and how many of the 125 spots are alloted there? Based on what I've read, it seems that the majority of applicants are applying to the 2 year program. So many questions! I really should have attended the info sessions. However, I'm thinking that they are fairly secretive regardless. Also, it seems much easier to get into MSW programs in the States...

I was interested in a few of the streams but settled on Gerontology. That is where the majority of my experience is. I've been out in the field for years. I feel like my application is competitive in all areas except for the gpa. I'm hoping that they will review it...fingers crossed. I guess it really depends on how they start the process. If they automatically discard the lower gpas, then I'm screwed. But if they consider the entire application, then I feel that my application is strong. I hope that they weigh experience just as much as undergrad gpa....

Mental health is an excellent stream. Do you have a certain age group that you prefer?

@MSW12 hopeful

I won't quote you, as it is taking up a ton of room, haha..

Anyways, the 600+ applications and 125 spots was just for the two year program. They are treated completely separately (ie, we are not competing against each other, hah). From what I got, they examined more than 600 applications. They don't even look at incomplete ones..

I know they accept less advanced standing students, but there are also significantly less applicants..

The GPA they evaluate is only your last 5 (full year) courses in third or fourth year courses (at UofT). This might increase your calculated GPA. Every school does it a bit different, though. I do not know how Ryerson/York do it.

Anyways, I am not interested in a specific age, but I am very interested in addictions (I want to do the addictions collaborative program) and I am a Psychology undergrad major. I like working with anyone beyond the kid age haha

@ladybug3

The admissions process is so difficult to figure out some times. I've seen fairly competent people be denied admission while what seems like the flakiest person in the room get admitted to multiple schools. Did they mention if certain streams are more competitive than others?

My gpa for UofT is pretty good but not so strong that it makes me feel confident. Because York/Ryerson look at the last two years, it's a bit weaker. Basically, I'm a bit of a late bloomer :)

Mental health/addictions certainly go hand-in-hand. I've worked in mental health and found it to be amazingly rewarding. I also found that many people shy away from it--probably because they find it 'scary'. I dont know this for a fact but I would think that not as many people apply to this stream than others. Do you have the same impression?

Oh, and to answer a question from your previous post, yes, I'm from TO. Are you as well?

I've applied to a range of master's programs:

Carleton University: Sociology, NPSIA, and Political Science

uOttawa: Criminology

Waterloo: Sociology

U of T: Criminology

UOIT: Criminology

It is going to be a stressful couple of months! Good luck to everyone

Edited by bentharbour

Submitted two apps for York yesterday.

PhD - Sociology

PhD - Socio-Legal Studies

I'm enjoying the post-immediate-submission-fuzzyness that is excitement and relief. I expect this feeling to last through the weekend and come to an abrupt halt when I begin to second-guess the reliability of the post office or discover an errant comma in my SoP.

U of T: Criminology

OH! ME TOO! ME TOO! I'm applying for the PhD program (submitting next week)! We seem to have a similar interdisciplinary backround! The very best of luck to you, U of T is a tough nut to crack!

Surefire,

I would definitely consider myself to have an interdisciplinary background. My undergrad is in Criminology, but much of my research and experience has involved policy studies, political science, and global governance. I see myself walking the very fine line of being involved in both areas (even if it is difficult). As you can see by my application list, I have kept things fairly wide open in order to appeal to all of my interests.

Glad to see other folks applying to similar programs (even if it is the PhD, not MA). Good luck! Hopefully we both come back here with good news!

ps. I have heard all of the stories about U of T - fingers crossed!

Edited by bentharbour

I applied to an MA in Theory & Criticism at Uni Western Ontario, I'm American. Does anyone know about funding for Americans? It says full funding and that it has a way to fun international applicants but I've heard a ton of mixed reviews/stories. Any advice on this school? I mesh with the interests floating around the school but don't know much about it.

I applied to York and Concordia for phd

York - 2 departments - political science and environmental studies (Potential supervisors want to study with me)

Concordia - Political Science.

Do you know anything about the funding opportunities for international students at York?

Submitted my one and only MA application, to Carleton's NPSIA. Hubby's career means it's Ottawa or bust for me, and now I'm going quietly beserk, having all my eggs in one basket. Doesn't help that I've been out of the loop for seven years, either.

York - 2 departments - political science and environmental studies (Potential supervisors want to study with me)

Do you know anything about the funding opportunities for international students at York?

Hey there! Well, I knew it had to happen at some point... I'm applying to York's PhD in Env. Studies too :-)

I guess we're going for the same spot, as they only have 1 or 2 spots for international students each year. One of the reasons is that they are committed to full funding, even for internationals, so that's good news on that front at least.

Where are you from? What do you plan to research? Drop me a message.

Anyway I wish us both good luck.

I'm sort of in a similar situation as foucaultmania. I applied to Psychology at Mcmaster. My POI would like to forward my file for acceptance, but I still have to wait for adcom's decision. I'm wondering what my chances are here? I'm an international applicant too, so would funding be a big obstacle for us?

Fingers crossed for us all!

Edited by fingers_toes_X

I was just notified that the graduate director of the programme at my alma mater is looking over my application since a "rush" was placed on it.

Now if only a "rush" would be placed on my application at my first choice, haha!

Just got my first rejection from York U. My application must have really sucked since I wasn't expecting to hear back until March. Oh well, at least they were kind enough to let me know sooner than later.

Surprisingly, I feel almost 'calm' about it. Glad to get this feeling out of the way.. It sucks but it didn't kill me.

Just got my first rejection from York U. My application must have really sucked since I wasn't expecting to hear back until March. Oh well, at least they were kind enough to let me know sooner than later.

Surprisingly, I feel almost 'calm' about it. Glad to get this feeling out of the way.. It sucks but it didn't kill me.

I'm really sorry to hear about the rejection :( I applied there for the 2-year stream, did you apply for the advanced standing? Also, did they update your status on their application webpage or did you receive a letter/email?

@samanthakl

Thanks :) Yes, I applied to the advanced standing which usually finds out decisions earlier than the 2yr stream. I cant help but wonder if I missed something in the application or I made a fantastic error....or the most obvious reason, my Gpa wasn't good enough. Well, it ain't over 'till it's over. I've got two more kicks at the can.

How they notified me: I got the letter in the mail today. Checked 'myfile' to confirm and sure enough, it had been updated. The letter was dated Jan 18th so they may have just updated the online status today. Actually, I wasn't checking it regularly so it might have even been updated last week...

I know that all social work programs in the GTA seem to be nutty-competitive. Good luck to you! :)

@samanthakl

Thanks :) Yes, I applied to the advanced standing which usually finds out decisions earlier than the 2yr stream. I cant help but wonder if I missed something in the application or I made a fantastic error....or the most obvious reason, my Gpa wasn't good enough. Well, it ain't over 'till it's over. I've got two more kicks at the can.

How they notified me: I got the letter in the mail today. Checked 'myfile' to confirm and sure enough, it had been updated. The letter was dated Jan 18th so they may have just updated the online status today. Actually, I wasn't checking it regularly so it might have even been updated last week...

I know that all social work programs in the GTA seem to be nutty-competitive. Good luck to you! :)

@samanthakl

I am so sorry for you:( I hope you applied to other universities as well and you will get admission, do not worry!

I also applied to York for two different phd programs.

Anyway, after applying, I called them several times for learning either there is a problem on the application documents or not. they said that there is no problem the documents will be sent to committee. In this case, you may have two problems, first one is a missing document, second one is an earlier decision of committee for applicants who are considered to be insufficient.

I am really unhappy for you but I may also be rejected in several weeks, I can understand you.....

Thank you for this information. Yes, I feel that I was likely rejected due to my Gpa. Dont get me wrong, it wasn't awful but it was less than the B+ they were asking for. I knew I was taking a chance applying but I was 'hoping' they would look at the entire application before they made a decision. My feeling is that they didn't even look at my Statement of Interest or resume etc. My transcript was enough to get my application shredded. I applied to two more schools but they are just as competitive. This rejection puts things in perspective though. At first I wanted to know all decisions NOW. But after this, I can wait...just to keep the dream alive a little longer :)

All the best to you!

I am so sorry for you:( I hope you applied to other universities as well and you will get admission, do not worry!

I also applied to York for two different phd programs.

Anyway, after applying, I called them several times for learning either there is a problem on the application documents or not. they said that there is no problem the documents will be sent to committee. In this case, you may have two problems, first one is a missing document, second one is an earlier decision of committee for applicants who are considered to be insufficient.

I am really unhappy for you but I may also be rejected in several weeks, I can understand you.....

Does anyone know if Canadian schools are slower than American schools in processing applications? I know that some Canadian schools told me not to expect any news until March, and this seemed a little late.