jerk academics

waddle

Not sure if this story from the Chronicle is true or not, but it's really making me reconsider an academic career. Now, I know that (1) the vast majority of academics are not asshats, and are actually quite pleasant and fun people, and also that (2) there's bound to be a few bad eggs in every group of people--and that the tenure process could be nasty--, but I didn't realize that department politics could get so downright malicious.

Just thought I'd share.

Not sure if this story from the Chronicle is true or not, but it's really making me reconsider an academic career. Now, I know that (1) the vast majority of academics are not asshats, and are actually quite pleasant and fun people, and also that (2) there's bound to be a few bad eggs in every group of people--and that the tenure process could be nasty--, but I didn't realize that department politics could get so downright malicious.

Just thought I'd share.

If single anonymous anecdote that may be apocryphal is a reason to reconsider an academic career, then someone in your department hasn't taken you behind the looking glass and shown you where some of the bodies are buried.

My recommendation is that you turn up your situational awareness when you talk to your professors and learn to manage your expectations. Then, when you get incontrovertible proof that the Ivory Tower is subject to the same dynamics as any other institution, you can fully enjoy that wonderful moment when the bloom comes off the rose and you figure out the meaning behind the kind knowing smiles you've gotten since you've arrived.

More than likely that was somebody with a BS story trying to get a rise out of people (i.e. a troll). On the other hand, this is no different than any other job in this world. Even religious sisters have these office politics related conflicts. So if this teaches someone a lesson, so be it.

I have to admit this would be a funny joke to pull on someone who was actually granted it, to bust someone's chops.

If single anonymous anecdote that may be apocryphal is a reason to reconsider an academic career, then someone in your department hasn't taken you behind the looking glass and shown you where some of the bodies are buried.

My recommendation is that you turn up your situational awareness when you talk to your professors and learn to manage your expectations. Then, when you get incontrovertible proof that the Ivory Tower is subject to the same dynamics as any other institution, you can fully enjoy that wonderful moment when the bloom comes off the rose and you figure out the meaning behind the kind knowing smiles you've gotten since you've arrived.

Perhaps I should have phrased my post better. I meant to say that the smallness and permanency of an academic department--and the internal strife and in-fighting that can result as a result of interacting with the same 10 colleagues every day for 30 years--is something to consider when going into an academic career. I typed that post up in a bit of a rush, and somehow the message didn't come across as I'd intended. But thanks anyways for your advice, Sigaba!

And yeah, probably a troll, but it doesn't really matter. Stuff like this will happen anyways, but it's probably a bit harder to get away from something like this as a tenure-track faculty member (as opposed to, e.g., working in a large company) without negative career impacts.

Edited by waddle

Perhaps I should have phrased my post better. I meant to say that the smallness and permanency of an academic department--and the internal strife and in-fighting that can result as a result of interacting with the same 10 colleagues every day for 30 years--is something to consider when going into an academic career. I typed that post up in a bit of a rush, and somehow the message didn't come across as I'd intended. But thanks anyways for your advice, Sigaba!

And yeah, probably a troll, but it doesn't really matter. Stuff like this will happen anyways, but it's probably a bit harder to get away from something like this as a tenure-track faculty member (as opposed to, e.g., working in a large company) without negative career impacts.

There are negative aspects to consider in every career. Even larger companies have their internal drama and issues, because subcultures develop.

I was speaking with a professor yesterday and he was talking about some of the stressful aspects of his job (back when he was in full swing, he's semi-retired now) and I simply said "That sounds stressful". And he proceeded to tell me that every job is stressful in some way. The example he used was our janitors, who both work multiple jobs to make ends meet. Nothing is perfect.

Yes, while this is a terrible story (if true - and honestly, I'd expect to hear about something like this in some toxic business workplaces, so why not academia?) it is by no means typical. As one professor once wisely told me, "You get some buttheads in any group of people." Academia is unique in that we can expect to spend many years or even decades with our colleagues. Even people we normally like can get tiresome after all that time. But that's one of the things worth enduring, in my opinion.

More than likely that was somebody with a BS story trying to get a rise out of people (i.e. a troll). On the other hand, this is no different than any other job in this world. Even religious sisters have these office politics related conflicts. So if this teaches someone a lesson, so be it.

I have to admit this would be a funny joke to pull on someone who was actually granted it, to bust someone's chops.

Uh, I don't even think this would be funny as a joke. You have no idea how a person will react to not getting something they desperately want.

Remember this - http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100216/full/463856a.html

You really have to be soulless to fire someone in such a cruel way. I've fired a few people and every single time it was extremely difficult.