Any third batch GRE takers out there? (Oct. 3 - Oct. 15)

Missy91

Wow, that's strange that your estimates are different! I wonder why that would be. If you took it earlier or later than me, maybe? Or if one of us got harder sections? I'm also at the very bottom of my estimated overall range though.. why'd they have to go and get our hopes up?

Haha I don't know, but it's terrible. I got high hopes and applied to higher ranked programs based on my scores.

V: 167 (98%)-->710 (750-800 estimate)

Q: 153 (65%)-->680 (640-740 estimate)

AW: 3.5 (how???)

Super disappointed in my low verbal score, I really thought I would break 1400. As for my appalling writing score, I am speechless. ETS really loves getting our hopes up...

Super disappointed in my low verbal score, I really thought I would break 1400. As for my appalling writing score, I am speechless. ETS really loves getting our hopes up...

I took it in 2008 and got a 5.0, but I got a 4.5 this time around. Thought I did better, too. Bummer.

Taken Oct. 14th

V: 165 (96%)--->690 (740-800 estimate)

Q: 159 (82%)--->750 (720-800 estimate)

AW: 4.5 (72%)

I knew I tanked the quant the day of, I was scoring 90th+ on Manhattan too... But it could have been way worse. Satisfied overall.

Got my scores too..Kinda disappointing..

AWA : 3.5.. :( (29 %)..Shuts me out from all my "good" applications.. :(

Quant : 167 (95%) (Previous estimate 750 - 800).. corresponds to 800 on the old scale

Verbal : 160(86%) (Previous estimate 630 - 730).. corresponds to 610 on the old scale..

So that makes in 1410.. Peeved that my verbal score is below my estimate..

Actually, your verbal corresponds up to a 730. And it might not hurt to consider having them re-score your AW section if you think you did better.

I posted this also on New GRE scores are up.

I've been following this forum for a while but decided to post only because my experience with the estimates seems to be much different than most folks. Namely, my verbal was much lower and outside of the range of 700-800 that I received. Similarly, my quant was at the higher end whereas it seems that most people are getting scores that were at the low end of ranges. See below:

V: 700-800 estimate - 162 (90%) actual = 640

Q: 650-750 estimate - 156 (74%) actual = 720

AW: 5.0

I'm satisfied with my scores even though I wanted to do better (get at least 1400 on the old scale). I've been doing research at a university for more than 5 years, have publications, and strong letters of reference so I hope to be a good candidate. I will say that folks on this site are quite impressive. Good luck to you all!

I did my test on Oct 20th and just got the results online.

Verbal: est 710-800; actual score:164 (94%) (equivalent to 670)

Quant: NS; I didn't do this part since I got 800 last time (94%).

I am satisfied with the score. 670 is lower than the lower bound of 710 but that's fine. Last time I did my GRE was two years ago. My V score was only 490 (56%). English isn't my first language.

A jump from 56% to 94% surely helps!

I did my test on Oct 20th and just got the results online.

Verbal: est 710-800; actual score:164 (94%) (equivalent to 670)

Quant: NS; I didn't do this part since I got 800 last time (94%).

I am satisfied with the score. 670 is lower than the lower bound of 710 but that's fine. Last time I did my GRE was two years ago. My V score was only 490 (56%). English isn't my first language.

A jump from 56% to 94% surely helps!

Interesting approach./you are brave. I wonder how universities will consider your NS.....

I'm actually in the 4th batch (took gre 10/28) and was supposed to get my scores back on 12/1. They were there today!

V=162/90% my range was 640-740 and this translates to a 640

Q=151/56% my range was 600-700 and this translates to a 650

AW=5.0/87%

Overall, I think this will be fine for me.

Edited by zea mays

How do universities view having a no score on one section? Do people do this often?

Yeah, I mean I would love to retake just one section, since I did very well on my AW and Q, but could use another 50 points on verbal. But I'm pretty sure schools won't like that. The test measures stamina and ability to work under pressure in addition to actual knowledge. I think that's the reason ETS reports all of your scores. I remember when I was taking the SAT you had the option to retake and your final reported score was a combination of your best V and best Q. Not anymore unfortunately. If you only studied math went to take the test and all you had to do was go thru 2 or 3 sections of math and skip everything else, that's significantly easier than taking the entire thing.

I don't know though, maybe NS is acceptable. I personally wouldn't risk it, unless the school explicitly told me it was okay. I'd love to hear others' opinions on this.

Edited by MartianQ

Curious. I agree with @MartianQ that it's comparing apples and oranges to consider scores from a complete exam alongside those from just one section. The cynic in me wonders if programs are more permissive here as adopting the policy could also serve to bolster their mean GRE sats.

I contacted three of my schools (Duke, Yale, and SMU) and all of them stated this would be fine.

Oh. Well now I am thinking about doing it. Honestly, I am a bit surprised, since it's not something you hear about often. If it's not frowned upon why isn't everyone doing it. Anyway, good luck on the retake!

Edited by MartianQ

I guess not everyone is doing this because not everyone gets 800 in quant; and of those who do, a lot of them also performed really well in Verbal, so they don't bother to retake the test. You have to be like me, who got 800 in quant but did really badly in verbal, to want to retake the test for its verbal section only.

I've never considered that some adcom people would frown upon an NS. To me, the logic is simple: 800 is good enough, why risk it? After all, the option is made available, so I think it is legitimate to use it.

Edited by 2010Applicant

I took my exam on 11/03 and I'm still waiting for the results. Couple of my friends took their test on 10/28 and had their results last Friday (they suppose to get it on Dec 1st). Do you guys know when EST release the results (Friday morning for example). Out of curiosity, does anyone who took their exam in November got the results?