Columbia personal statement

fosgfp

Thanks buddy, but the thing is that for one of my experiences, I am not even allowed to talk about the research not to talk of the results I got. If I do...my ass would be sued by the people I work for. I'm not even allowed to take my notebook home or even put data on my personal flashdrive.

But the other research, I can talk about my results but it probably wont get approved by my PI for submission. I can bullishly send out the data to Penn...but it will most likely comeback to hunt me.

EFF EMM EL!

I have the same situation, because I used to work for a biotech company. I am pretty sure that you can use several sentences to describe the general Idea, such as constructing shuttle vectors for antibiotic engineering. do not mention any specific terms.

I have the same situation, because I used to work for a biotech company. I am pretty sure that you can use several sentences to describe the general Idea, such as constructing shuttle vectors for antibiotic engineering. do not mention any specific terms.

Thats probably the best thing to do.

Edited by solorenegade

Yes, I am just giving general information. I personally think the Penn statement(s) are pretty dumb. They are looking for grad students but the questions are like if they are trying to find a lab tech. I'm just going to add a little extra information from my standard essay. Listing techniques seems extraneous and boring to me; plus they can see than on my CV.

For columbia, I decided to cut it to one page and leave it at that, even though it's longer than 500 words (it's about 750). Cutting it any more would leave out too much information. I figure one page is a good guideline

Yes, I am just giving general information. I personally think the Penn statement(s) are pretty dumb. They are looking for grad students but the questions are like if they are trying to find a lab tech. I'm just going to add a little extra information from my standard essay. Listing techniques seems extraneous and boring to me; plus they can see than on my CV.

For columbia, I decided to cut it to one page and leave it at that, even though it's longer than 500 words (it's about 750). Cutting it any more would leave out too much information. I figure one page is a good guideline

I think the prompt for Neuroscience is different from mine. They asked us to write a not-less-than-1000-word essay on our research experience. They should just stop making us write these research statements and call the labs directly. They can ask the PI whatever the hell they like about the research.

So I'm curious to know how you fit 750 words into one page :blink: . What font did you use? Is it called fosgfp special? lol

I think the prompt for Neuroscience is different from mine. They asked us to write a not-less-than-1000-word essay on our research experience. They should just stop making us write these research statements and call the labs directly. They can ask the PI whatever the hell they like about the research.

So I'm curious to know how you fit 750 words into one page :blink: . What font did you use? Is it called fosgfp special? lol

Are you applying through the med school for Penn also? I am, and there are three separate essays. One asks for you to describe all the techniques you used. Why???

Haha, I actually hardly had to do any manipulating to get 750 on the page. Times New Roman, 11.5. Made sure all of my paragraphs didn't have just one or two words on the last line, etc. Little things like that.

Are you applying through the med school for Penn also? I am, and there are three separate essays. One asks for you to describe all the techniques you used. Why???

Haha, I actually hardly had to do any manipulating to get 750 on the page. Times New Roman, 11.5. Made sure all of my paragraphs didn't have just one or two words on the last line, etc. Little things like that.

Hey fosgfp have you check your application status? I have sent all my materials to Columbia 2 months ago and it still shows not yet received/processed. Do you have the same status?

Hey solorenegade have you check your application status? I have sent all my materials to Columbia 2 months ago and it still shows not yet received/processed. Do you have the same status?

Hey fosgfp have you check your application status? I have sent all my materials to Columbia 2 months ago and it still shows not yet received/processed. Do you have the same status?

Stupid question-- where can I check? When I log into the application it just says it's been submitted. Do I need to go to a different page?

Nevermind again, spoke to soon. The website says "You can check the status of your application and supporting documents, including letters of evaluation, by going to the section titled "Downloadable Forms" and clicking on "Application Status" in the ApplyYourself online application."

But I don't have a link that says application status

Stupid question-- where can I check? When I log into the application it just says it's been submitted. Do I need to go to a different page?

after you submit your app, the department will sent you an app ID. You can check your status online https://admissions.columbia.edu/ with this ID and your birthday

mine just says:

Thank you for completing the online portion of your application to the

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at the Coumbia University Medical

Center for Fall 2012.

We hope our new online system has made the application process a smooth

one and we look forward to receiving the rest of the materials to

complete your application.

It may take another day to receive the app ID. I have actually asked the stuff to check my material and they told me they couldn't because this year there is an usually high number of applicants. I wonder how many students are applying to this program.

Hey solorenegade have you check your application status? I have sent all my materials to Columbia 2 months ago and it still shows not yet received/processed. Do you have the same status?

Yea buddy...I'm in the same situation as you. I was worried till it showed that it didnt receive my personal statement and I realized that this is gotta be a joke.

Yea buddy...I'm in the same situation as you. I was worried till it showed that it didnt receive my personal statement and I realized that this is gotta be a joke.

lol, they only thing that showed to be received by Columbia was my application fee. All they care about is money. :blink:

Edited by deundertaker

lol, they only thing that showed to be received by Columbia was my application fee. All they care about is money. :blink:

You shouldnt be worried about Columbia...the ex dean will def do something for you. We the regular ppl with no connections should be the ones worrying

I read yesterday that Upenn neuro only admitted 16/250 people last year. wondering if I'll get in anywhere...

Neurosci is always the hard one to get in and the department size is usually small. I guess it is much more selective than bio/biomed programs. I heard the same thing from the program director, Columbia only admitted 20 PhD students last year. May be it is a good idea to get into the bio program and then select PI in the neurosci area as your supervisor.

Edited by deundertaker

Neurosci is always the hard one to get in and the department size is usually small. I guess it is much more selective than bio/biomed programs. I heard the same thing from the program director, Columbia only admitted 20 PhD students last year. May be it is a good idea to get into the bio program and then select PI in the neurosci area as your supervisor.

Can't help it if the CNS is the most interesting system ;) I thought about applying to straight bio, but in some cases (can't remember which specifically), you don't have access to all the neuro people from the bio program