Chem GRE Scores

Coconutman39

Hey everybody,

So I got my GRE scores today by phone, 720 and 57%. I am an American student and was wondering if these scores are useful to send to schools. Only two of my schools actually require them, but would these scores help or hurt my application?

For reference: 3.2 GPA, chemistry and biology major at a small liberal arts school. 750 Q 570V 4AW. a year of research experience and a coauthor publication has been submitted. I am applying to biochemistry/chemical biology programs.

Thanks for any help

I finally gave in and called ETS. My scores for the GRE Chemistry subject test is 840, 86%. Quite disappointed, but looking at the scores of the accepted applicants in the school I'm applying to this year, it seems that they accept even those with a 720 and reject those with a 920 so I guess it all comes down to other stuff such as SOPs and LORs.

I heard (maybe here?) that you should shoot for 70th percentile or above. I got 67%.

When I went in to talk to profs at a Well Known University, one of them looked at my file and said, "Hmmm. Your Chem GRE score is a little on the low side." So it sounds like the 70% rule is probably about right.

I was told by the graduate admissions officer at a school ranked ~20 that it depends on whether you are domestic or international. He said something like the 90th percentile up is almost exclusively international students because tests are emphasized more heavily elsewhere. So at least for domestic students, >70th percentile is considered good and >50th percentile is considered acceptable. So (assuming you are a domestic applicant) I don't think 57th percentile will really help you or hurt you much.

I recently spoke to the professor who admitted me (top 10 school as an international student). He explicitly mentioned that although my GPA sucked (3.0), my research experience, personal statement, and a "phenomenal" recommendation letter were more than enough. He added that although my GREs were "phenomenal", (1460 General and 860 Chemistry Subject), he didn't care much for them. I think high GRE scores leave a positive impression, but they really aren't that important.

Thanks for the comments back. I also discussed this with my advisor, and he agreed that they won't hurt or help my application.

Cantorg, I can only hope that I get the same type of treatment! My motto is, I only need one admit (although more would be nice).