Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

hitomimay, wayoutwest128, dm242, NOLAConstance:

I genuinely think it's their loss. I'm sure the places you guys finally go to will cherish you and bring out the best in all of you. All the best for the rest of your applications :) I understand it's tough to get a rejection (ugh, hate that word), but I'm someone who believes that everything that happens really happens for the best. We'll all end up in great places and do all kinds of wonderful things in education. I'm convinced of it. Hang in there, y'all. *Hug*

I can't say I completely understand this situation, because I'm not in it, but I can certainly empathize with you and try to share some of my thoughts. The terrible thing about the whole process is it creates so much competition, which I can't stand in general. Still, I hope you can find another way to look at the situation, if you are accepted, aside from thinking of yourself as "second best." I don't think that's true at all. I still believe everything is about fit, but say there are only 5 spots and even though 7 phenomenal people apply, the reality is: there are still really only 5 spots. So, it becomes a difficult decision for the adcomm. They know all of the people they make offers to won't accept, because everyone has their number one choice (which may or might not be Stanford for those who were accepted). I wouldn't go through all the reasons why you're on the wait list and not one of the initial offers. However, they didn't reject you, which means that they still want you. And once you're there, working with who you want and doing all sorts of phenomenal work, the wait list won't mean anything.

You took the words out of my mouth :)

wildviolet, I certainly don't think it means you're second best. It's just a matter of fit- and as you pointed out, since SUSE has only two profs working in science ed, it must have been insanely difficult for the committee to select a really small number of applicants. So good luck on getting off the waitlist- irrespective of whether you decide to go to Stanford or not!

Thanks cacao to cacao and wildviolet. Appreciate the sentiments. Thankfully wasn't crushed, and it's all cuz USC was there to prop me back up lol. It was meant to be, I swear. I got home today after SUSE's rejection, checked my mailbox, and this large envelope from USC regarding my funding came, and it had a letter saying congrats again.

It was as if USC was saying to me "it's okay about SUSE, at least we love you very much" lol." <3

I never congratulated you personally on USC! Congratulations! Clearly they are excited to have you on board :) Forget SUSE, go USC!

I don't know about this... how do you all feel about being wait listed?

I kind of feel like, if I did get off the wait list and was accepted and chose to attend, that I would somehow always feel "second best" because I wasn't selected initially. It may just be me and my personality, but I want to be at a place where I'm wanted, not where I was the alternate. Does that make any sense when the competition is so stiff and the institution is a top school? Or am I just trying to assuage my bruised ego?

I think the other thing about the rejections from Stanford is that most of you seem to have applied to Higher Ed or Ed Policy, which is pretty tough, I think. My field is Science Ed, which is very different as there are only two professors in Science Ed at Stanford.

Anyway, trying to sort through my feelings about this... I didn't realize how emotional this whole process would be.

Wildviolet, I understand your feelings. I was talking to a friend recently about the fear of being waitlisted and feeling like I am second-best (which is a very difficult feeling for a competitive person to accept). She pointed out that it is not how we start that matters; what matters is how we finish. In the end, you would finish with the same degree as those who were not on the wait list, proving that you were indeed a qualified member of the department.

Wildviolet, I understand your feelings. I was talking to a friend recently about the fear of being waitlisted and feeling like I am second-best (which is a very difficult feeling for a competitive person to accept). She pointed out that it is not how we start that matters; what matters is how we finish. In the end, you would finish with the same degree as those who were not on the wait list, proving that you were indeed a qualified member of the department.

Thanks, everyone!

Well, I think it's going to be a tough couple of months for all of us. I'm still waiting to hear from two schools, and my visit to MSU is not until April, so I still feel like I'm in limbo for the most part.

I hope you all will find something relaxing to do this weekend. I'm going to the spa for a day of pampering, but my mind won't be at ease until all of this is figured out! (sigh)

hitomimay, wayoutwest128, dm242, NOLAConstance:

I genuinely think it's their loss. I'm sure the places you guys finally go to will cherish you and bring out the best in all of you. All the best for the rest of your applications :) I understand it's tough to get a rejection (ugh, hate that word), but I'm someone who believes that everything that happens really happens for the best. We'll all end up in great places and do all kinds of wonderful things in education. I'm convinced of it. Hang in there, y'all. *Hug*

*Hugs* back. Take care!

Hi all,

Just wanted to update that I recieved my UCLA SRM rejection letter this morning. Posted on the board. Not too sad. I'm actually pleased because all my decisions are in -- and I'm headed to beautiful UC Irvine! :)

Congrats to all who've gotten in and hugs to all who didn't.

Hi all,

Just wanted to update that I recieved my UCLA SRM rejection letter this morning. Posted on the board. Not too sad. I'm actually pleased because all my decisions are in -- and I'm headed to beautiful UC Irvine! :)

Awesome wannabeaphd! Congratulations on gaining closure. I'm dating myself but there's something to be said for the Crosby, Stills & Nash song that goes "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". My decisions aren't all in, but I'm embracing and giving thanks for what I have.

Edited by HigherLearning

Are we of the collective mind that if we havent heard anything from POI's at USC we probably will receive a ding letter sometime mid March? Also for UCLA were their any interviews or is it just letters? I keep checking status, no change. Finally does USC's status change if you are accept or reject?

Thank you

Are we of the collective mind that if we havent heard anything from POI's at USC we probably will receive a ding letter sometime mid March? Also for UCLA were their any interviews or is it just letters? I keep checking status, no change. Finally does USC's status change if you are accept or reject?

Thank you

dm242, I searched the results page under "education" and I saw that someone had been rejected from "University of Southern" in Urban Education Policy.

Honestly, I do not comprehend why they would not accept me. My GRE scores are above their average, I have 2 M.Ed. with a 3.85, 9 years as an educator in urban public schools, an excellent SOP, excellent LOR's, etc. Not to mention, I have been a resource for many academic researchers for their research and conferences. My only flaw is that in my SOP, I was clear about my critique of the current "reform" movement in New Orleans. Maybe, they did not agree with my politics.

However, it must be meant to be and there is something else waiting for me. I put everything into my applications and if I do not receive a promising offer, I will not be applying next year. I will look for another option.

Just received an email response from Aba Cassell of USC. She said everyone should receive a response by Feb. 15th.

Edited by constance11

Thank you

dm242, I was accepted without interview and POI called me for my acceptance. I also had no prior contact with POI prior to being accepted. I'm not sure what the norm is--seems like everyone's experiences are different. I know that letters were sent out yesterday.

Hi all,

Congratulations! Very nice to have closure and be ready to move on. I'm sure you'll enjoy sunny OC.

Hi all,

Congrats wannabeaphd! I'm sorry we couldn't be in the same cohort, I was really looking forward to it, but hey, we won't be so far that tea/coffee isn't impossible. :D I'm bound to visit sometime :D Congrats again! I'm excited for you, it's an incredible program. You deserve it :)

dm242, I searched the results page under "education" and I saw that someone had been rejected from "University of Southern" in Urban Education Policy.

Honestly, I do not comprehend why they would not accept me. My GRE scores are above their average, I have 2 M.Ed. with a 3.85, 9 years as an educator in urban public schools, an excellent SOP, excellent LOR's, etc. Not to mention, I have been a resource for many academic researchers for their research and conferences. My only flaw is that in my SOP, I was clear about my critique of the current "reform" movement in New Orleans. Maybe, they did not agree with my politics.

However, it must be meant to be and there is something else waiting for me. I put everything into my applications and if I do not receive a promising offer, I will not be applying next year. I will look for another option.

Personally, I don't think it might be the New Orleans thing. I know one of the POI's research is based off of the economics and reformation of the New Orleans school system. You can always call them and ask what it was, I know a lot of programs are more than happy to inform you of their reasoning so that you have a chance to "improve your application...etc" as they say. Don't give up! If you're passionate about it, stick it through! :D

Thank you

I was accepted from USC a week ago, but I have yet to see any change online for status. They say that results have been sent out and official decisions will be through post. I want it to change online though because I didn't waive my rights to my rec letters and I want to see them soon :D Keep your chin up! Good news is bound to come. :D

Official acceptance from Penn State arrived today (letter printed on Feb 3). No automatic funding, but phone call on Jan 31st indicated they were recommending me for an assistantship.

I almost didn't finish my Penn State application because of concerns of fit (especially since I was interested in working with Don Heller, who announced his departure for MSU during the fall...after I was already knee-deep in my app). Shows what a crapshoot this can be. A major take-away from the process is just how easily I could have gone 0/5 or 0/6. I was aware of that going in, since I consciously chose not to apply to a "safety" (I'm pretty happy with my job/life, and I didn't want to uproot without just cause). Still, at least in my case, I feel like the line between 2/6 and striking out without a single interview was even finer than I anticipated.

Congrats to the recently admitted!

Lots and lots of good luck to those still waiting!

"Personally, I don't think it might be the New Orleans thing. I know one of the POI's research is based off of the economics and reformation of the New Orleans school system. You can always call them and ask what it was, I know a lot of programs are more than happy to inform you of their reasoning so that you have a chance to "improve your application...etc" as they say. Don't give up! If you're passionate about it, stick it through! :D"

Hitomimay, I understand what you are saying and congratulate you, but I did my homework on the POI's before applying and the one you are referring to has done research work for/ grant writing for Tulane's Scott Cowen's Institute. Tulane's Scott Cowen Institute has written most of the research which has supported/fueled the privatization of the public schools in my city. Knowing I was taking a chance, in my SOP I clearly stated my opposition to the privatization of public schools. Maybe a few points on the GRE would have helped, but my score was way above their average; there was no way for me to "improve my application!"

I have officially been rejected by USC Urban Ed Policy. This was a difficult loss, its the second this week. Hopefully next week brings better news. I know that SUSE and USC are two of the most competitive ed pol schools, but still, I was hoping that at least one would take a chance. Congrats hitomimay.

Officially accepted into BC's Lynch School for Applied Developmental. So excited and still in shock! Just waiting to hear back from Columbia Teacher's College. Will most likely accept BC as they fund their MA students. Yay! I can relax now-haha.

Goodluck to everyone! You'll get in somewhere!

Edited by critic1

Congrats wayoutwest28 and critic1!!! That's exciting news!

Chin up dm242. Good news is out there for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Constance11, sorry, I didn't mean to offend. ><''

Congrats to everyone so far!

Sidenote: I checked the results page (it is SO addicting!!) and I noticed that someone heard back from Penn GSE on Friday (for Master's), but there's only been one posting. Has anyone else applying for a Master's heard back from them?

TexanLex

Sidenote: I checked the results page (it is SO addicting!!) and I noticed that someone heard back from Penn GSE on Friday (for Master's), but there's only been one posting. Has anyone else applying for a Master's heard back from them?

Hey TexanLex, just thought I should speak up since you may have seen my posting but I applied to a different program so maybe not...? I was accepted into the M.S.Ed for International Educational Development on the 30th of November but I only found out when someone from the program e-mailed me around the first week of December haha I checked my app status and sure enough...but UPenn GSE didn't e-mail me to check my app status until mid-December! I applied pretty early in October or so and since UPenn is rolling, I heard back super early. I suggest you keep checking your UPenn status, you just never know! :)

Hi TexanLex,

Congrats. to you on being accepted to Vanderbilt's Higher Ed. I also received their offer to the same program. I just heard from Penn GSE last Friday and got into the program.

Hope you will hear the good news from them as well.