Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

I would go to the place that seems to really dig me.

I agree with this as I'm in a similar situation. If I'm good enough to be short-listed at Stanford, then I can do quality work anywhere--it's up to me. The name will carry you only so far, and you'll have to do the rest. Recently, an assistant professor gave me what I think is excellent advice--do your best in the courses. But, use your time in the doctoral program to learn how to do high-quality research and how to communicate it to others. Take every opportunity to learn how to become a thoughtful and persuasive scholar. Present at conferences. Publish papers. Write successful grants. Learn the politics of academia so that you can navigate the job market and tenure review process. Network. Build positive relationships with the people in your cohort because they will be your colleagues one day. Reach out to the folks ahead of you and behind you. I'm going to try my best to follow this advice.

And, ultimately, follow your heart. You'll know what's right for you.

Being in a doctoral program in Education, I would just throw in my 2 cents. I think it is really important at the doctoral level to go to the place that is doing the type of work that you aspire to do (assuming that you want to be an academic). Ideally, this program should also have a couple professors that are doing this type of research in case one of the professors leaves or you don't have compatible working styles. I think it becomes discouraging and disappointing when your program is not very strong in what you want to do -and/or- you can't find faculty members to mentor you.

If there is a research fit between you and the faculty members at USC and you like the program when you visit, I would chose it over an unfunded master's program. I also think USC has a good name as an education school. I won't worry about what US News ranks it as.

However, if you are still drawn to HGSE and Stanford and want to pursue the PhD eventually, I would ask faculty and current students whether it is typical for master's students to get into the PhD program. I know at some programs they would rather their master's students go elsewhere for their PhD.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

To answer a few questions, I already have a Masters in Education with USC, so it does seem rather pointless now to get a 2nd one from a higher ranked school, unfunded to say the least in this economy (although I think I can get up to half tuition for HGSE), and I've been in touch with a few people from those programs, and there is no guarantee that you'll go straight from their Masters to their PhD.

Ah, looks like a PhD for me this year. :)

I received an offer from Emory today :D it's not my number one, but it comes with guaranteed funding for 5 years, including full tuition, a stipend, and health insurance; plus significant additional funds for travel to conferences and research expenses. This is a good start to my long weekend. I hope everyone keeps hearing positive news!

Oh my god!!! Congratulations :)

Thanks everyone for the advice!

To answer a few questions, I already have a Masters in Education with USC, so it does seem rather pointless now to get a 2nd one from a higher ranked school, unfunded to say the least in this economy (although I think I can get up to half tuition for HGSE), and I've been in touch with a few people from those programs, and there is no guarantee that you'll go straight from their Masters to their PhD.

Ah, looks like a PhD for me this year. :)

Good call, imho, especially since you already have an MEd (and since there's no guarantee that Stanford would allow you to eventually progress into their PhD). Doing a second master's would be pointless and unnecessarily expensive. It's hard to give up the "dream" of the Ivy though, isn't it? I went through some similar institution vs. institution decision-making when I initially started my PhD (and in addition, had a long, drawn out debate with myself about PhD vs. EdD that nearly drove the people around me crazy!). B) What I've learned after having been a PhD nut for a while now, is that it really is more important that the research program and supervisor are good "fits" rather than what the name of the insitution is (or isn't!).

Edited by Andsowego

Hitomimay, I'm glad you're opting for the PhD!

Wildviolet, I'm only adding this since we've been accepted to the same program, Michigan State's overall ranking is lower, but for our field (Curriculum and Instruction) they're ranked number 2. I have to keep remembering this myself, especially when it's so easy to get caught up in the overall rankings of top tier R1 institutions. Andsowego, I agree! I just want to be at a place that has a rep in my field and scholars doing work in my research area. ZeChoc, I think you've given perfect advice.

Edited by litjust

Wildviolet, I'm only adding this since we've been accepted to the same program, Michigan State's overall ranking is lower, but for our field (Curriculum and Instruction) they're ranked number 2.

Thanks, litjust! I was wondering about that... I definitely place more weight on the specialty ranking rather than the overall ranking.

I finally heard from USC. Bingo. :D So happy. The wait is over. :D Full tuition and awesome stipend. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I am applying to masters programs now and I am planning to do a 1 year program at UCLA or PENN (I was accepted to both). I really want to apply to USC's urban education doctorate program when I'm done. Can we keep in touch so I can check in with you about the program and potentially get tips for my future application?

No more tension! I finally received an offer from Madison and it comes with funding :D

TexanLex, hold out - I'm sure you'll hear soon enough!

CONGRATS!!!!!! I was just over in Madison such a good time. Im sure you will do great there.

Hey everybody!

I'm a prospective MEd student from India. Completely new here, so will start of with my list!

Applied: Harvard (IEP), Penn (IEDP), Stanford (ICE), NYU (IEDP), Lynch (Applied Developmental Psychology)

Accepted: Lynch, Penn

Rejected: None so far

My first option is Penn, partly because of the exposure it'll have to UNESCO now that a chair has been established at IEDP, their international internships and their UNESCO Fellowship for students from developing countries. I also got a scholarship worth 10000 USD. Also, the fact that its an Ivy doesn't hurt. But the lure of Harvard is ever present! I don't if I should wait or just go ahead and accept my offer from Penn! For international students, there's the additional long-ish process of getting an I-20 and a F-1 visa, so the sooner you start, the better. To wait or not to wait - its just such a conundrum!

Also, I want to move on to a PhD immediately after the completion of my degree, so I'm looking into that too and the sooner I have some clarity about where I'm headed, the better for preliminary PhD research. I have 2 years of experience in education (and overall) and a previous Masters (in Journalism though). What do you think my chances for getting accepted to a good university for a PhD would be? Right after my Masters, that is?

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited!

Yo anyone heard from UCLA my status is the same nothing has changed and I havent gotten anything.

It never hurts to contact the program secretary. I think there's a delay with the online notification...