Who's Applying for Fall 2012? Where are you Applying?

litjust

Got a phone call from Vandy tonight inviting me to the interview weekend :blink: So I guess different departments at Peabody are sending out invites at different times. Probably to help send me in to cardiac arrest.

Good luck to all who applied!!

Received an email to phone-interview with University of Michigan this week.

Any advice from those who have already interviewed? Any surprising questions?

Congrats on the interview! I've PMed you about my first interview.

Thanks! My interview is scheduled for the first week of February. I've been told that I will sit-in on classes and interview with faculty during the day. That evening I will have dinner with current doc students. I'll keep you posted!

Congrats lilgreycells and wayoutwest!! Good luck to you on your interviews :)

Thanks for the support, everyone! :)

So, phone conversation went okay, but it's really hard to tell because I did almost all the talking, answering *most* of his questions (his emphasis). I'm trying not to read too much into it. Anyway, I was informed that, per Stanford policy, official notice would arrive via snail mail by late February. :( Yikes!

Please feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Received an email to phone-interview with University of Michigan this week.

Any advice from those who have already interviewed? Any surprising questions?

Congrats!!! I've PMed you, hopefully you can pull something from it. But I'm sure you're going to rock this!

@litjust: You just keep impressing everyone! Keep it up! You're awesome and congrats! I'm very excited for you! :D

Update on USC and Stanford:

So USC says that we'll hear by early February, but they've been known to mail out the letters a few days before that. (I've been on pins and needles everytime I check my mail ><'')

Stanford sent out a general email stating that faculty are currently reviewing applications (although I'm sure we've figured that with wildviolet's contact lol)

The waiting is killing me lol. Does anyone else feel just how time is ever so painfully ticking away second by really-slow second? ><''

Hi!

I just registered.

This is my second year applying. This year is much better than last though!

I heard from Irvine last night that I'm admitted (Ed. Policy and Social Context). And I've had almost the exact same experience as hitomimay with USC... except that I've been invited to campus for what looks like an interview. The DGS emailed me and asked if I could come in for a "meeting" tomorow.

Anyone in the same boat?

WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?!

Thanks all and good luck!!!

Applied: UCLA, USC, UCI, UCSB, UCR

Accepted: UCI

Rejected:

I heard from Irvine last night that I'm admitted (Ed. Policy and Social Context). And I've had almost the exact same experience as hitomimay with USC... except that I've been invited to campus for what looks like an interview. The DGS emailed me and asked if I could come in for a "meeting" tomorow.

WHAT SHOULD I WEAR?!

Congrats on the UCI admission! That's awesome! :)

And congrats to the USC interview too!

I have a few questions, I hope you don't mind me asking:

Do you think there's a difference in Skype/in-person meetings? Or do you think it's mostly due to logistics (you might be closer to California, while I'm in the MidWest?)

Did Dianne contact you earlier on about being a "good fit" too? (I noticed one other person had a similar email that I received on the Results Search page) And which professor contacted you?

Gosh, I'm so nervous! But it's good to know someone else who's in the same boat regarding USC. Last year, results were mailed out and received around 1/27-1/28, but I'm guessing since you've yet to meet your professor, I'm guessing Dianne meant it when she said "early Feb" maaaan :P

As for what to wear: ask Dianne, she's so sweet and nice, I'm sure she'll be more than happy to answer your questions. Or best bet, semi-professional?

hitomimay, Yes, I'm the other person on the results page.

I'm sure that the campus invite is because Dianne knows that I live in LA. I haven't been contacted by any professors, but Dianne called me about a week ago, said I was a good fit for the program, and asked me to rank 4 profs "in an ideal situation." She said that I would maybe or maybe not get a call, depending on the prof. But then she emailed last night and asked me to come in this week. So we've arranged a meeting tomorow.

I think it may be with one or more profs.

I'm SUPER nervous, but some news is better than no news here right?

hitomimay, about your question: when I spoke with Dianne I asked her how candidates were matched/admitted and she said that students would be admitted on a cohort basis and not directly tied to a particular prof. She said that in terms of funding, students are funded 1/2 through a professor, and 1/2 through the department. And there is even a provision for students who want to change advisors after the 1st year.

So, I think that even if someone dosen't have room for you this year, they may next year and you wouldn't be excluded if you're a really strong applicant. I hope!

I know, I'd hate to get rejected too at this point, but I'm sure it's still possible... *blarg* USC is my 1st choice and I'm so nervous I think I might vom!

Thanks for the congrats and good luck to all!!!

hitomimay, about your question: when I spoke with Dianne I asked her how candidates were matched/admitted and she said that students would be admitted on a cohort basis and not directly tied to a particular prof. She said that in terms of funding, students are funded 1/2 through a professor, and 1/2 through the department. And there is even a provision for students who want to change advisors after the 1st year.

So, I think that even if someone dosen't have room for you this year, they may next year and you wouldn't be excluded if you're a really strong applicant. I hope!

I know, I'd hate to get rejected too at this point, but I'm sure it's still possible... *blarg* USC is my 1st choice and I'm so nervous I think I might vom!

Thanks for the congrats and good luck to all!!!

I don't know whether to be relieved or extra nervous about that cohort basis bit of information! I wish I knew how many they were actually considering as of this point. I know results are to come out any time within the next two weeks and I'm just about ready to hurl lol. Checking this forum has turned into an obsessive compulsion lol.

Got a phone call from Vandy tonight inviting me to the interview weekend :blink: So I guess different departments at Peabody are sending out invites at different times. Probably to help send me in to cardiac arrest.

Good luck to all who applied!!

Hey that's great! Not about the cardiac arrest, but about the rest of it! Is it the same weekend (2/16-2/19)? I'm on pins and needles waiting for the official schedule of events.

Anybody apply to the University of Oregon?

Things are really starting to happen! This is so thirlling and nerve-racking. Congratulations to all those who have been accepted, and good luck to you guys who have interviews soon!

Lilgreycells, do you mind me asking which program you've applied to at Peabody?

Things are really starting to happen! This is so thirlling and nerve-racking. Congratulations to all those who have been accepted, and good luck to you guys who have interviews soon!

Lilgreycells, do you mind me asking which program you've applied to at Peabody?

Not at all! I applied to Higher Ed at Peabody. Did you do the learning, teaching, and diversity in math/sciences?

Hey that's great! Not about the cardiac arrest, but about the rest of it! Is it the same weekend (2/16-2/19)? I'm on pins and needles waiting for the official schedule of events.

Anybody apply to the University of Oregon?

Yup same weekend. And hey we all know if cardiac arrest gets us a fully funded admit most of us would be fine with it (wow this is why my friends think I'm kinda crazy about this whole "PhD thing"). Whew I'm waiting for the schedule too. Not gonna lie, I started thinking maybe they called the wrong lilgreycells and that's why I haven't gotten an email yet... Nice to know we're in the same boat. As we get closer to the date we can PM so we can say hi! I'm not sure how much inter-departmental action will be occuring over the weekend but it's always nice to know a friendly face.

Anyone know who just got the acceptance to Penn's Education, Culture, and Society program? My application just went for review to the same program and I'm still waiting for news. :(

No clue who that is but don't be too down! You never know the exact order of how they will evaluate and notify for decisions.

Edited by lilgreycells

Not at all! I applied to Higher Ed at Peabody. Did you do the learning, teaching, and diversity in math/sciences?

Yes, that's the one I'm trying for :)

And hey we all know if cardiac arrest gets us a fully funded admit most of us would be fine with it (wow this is why my friends think I'm kinda crazy about this whole "PhD thing").

:D And here I thought I was high-strung about the whole admissions thing ;) Don't go into cardiac arrest! I'm sure you'll impress at your interviews :)

@firebird24 Lol don't worry. I live my life in hyperbole. And thanks for the vote of confidence! I've already strong-armed some people that used to do ed interviews at other institutions to mock interview me. I'll just have to do my best and we'll go from there :)

Yup same weekend. And hey we all know if cardiac arrest gets us a fully funded admit most of us would be fine with it (wow this is why my friends think I'm kinda crazy about this whole "PhD thing"). Whew I'm waiting for the schedule too. Not gonna lie, I started thinking maybe they called the wrong lilgreycells and that's why I haven't gotten an email yet... Nice to know we're in the same boat. As we get closer to the date we can PM so we can say hi! I'm not sure how much inter-departmental action will be occuring over the weekend but it's always nice to know a friendly face.

Oh, word. It's amazing what this process does to your self-confidence, even when it's going well. It took me about two days to go from "wooo! I'm invited" to "oh, no, what if it was a mistake!"

And it would be nice to say hi. I'm planning on scheduling some time to look around the city while I'm down there--I hear Nashville is really cool. Everyone I've had contact with at Vandy has been very down to earth and kind and approachable and stuff, so I'm expecting a friendly weekend.

I am new here. This is my first post, but been lurking for a while.

First of all, While I am in the 'burbs, I got Chicago love. I have been accepted to the U of Iowa - my fourth choice. I am really hoping and praying for Michigan or Wiconsin. Has anyone heard anything from either of these Ed Policy programs?

Good luck to all!!

I officially had my first nightmare last night that I didn't get accepted anywhere. Ugh....

LOL. Pardon me, I laugh not at your dream or your underlying fears (although I'm guessing it's no longer underlying for any of us lol), but at how we probably all share in this terrifying nail-biting experience. You're not alone!!! Sometimes, I want to sleep the month away so I can just wake up and check the results online, but it haunts me even in my sleep! Bah...

I am new here. This is my first post, but been lurking for a while.

First of all, While I am in the 'burbs, I got Chicago love. I have been accepted to the U of Iowa - my fourth choice. I am really hoping and praying for Michigan or Wiconsin. Has anyone heard anything from either of these Ed Policy programs?

Good luck to all!!

Thanks for joining us and congrats on you acceptance!!! I'm still waiting to hear from Madison, curriculum & instruction.

seriously freaking out that i haven't gotten official word from anywhere.

is it bad i've already started hunting down housing options? I even figured out where i'm gonna live with 18000 stipend versus a 27000 stipend. also have calculated commuting times if I lived off-campus.

day-dreaming of that feeling walking across campus, chin up high, completely satisfied being immersed in research I love..

self-torture continues.