MSW personal statement help

ohme_ohmy

I've read some really great threads on here regarding personal statements, however most of the ones specifically geared towards social work are those who are applying to PhD sociology programs (which seem to have a greater emphasis on research) and other types of grad programs that require a shorter more concise statement.

I'm planning to apply for my MSW fall of 2012 and I'm having a really tough time crafting my PS. I feel like I'm all over the place in trying to convey who I am on paper and expanding WAY too much on past experiences. For those of you who have already gotten into your prospective schools, I'd love some advice and tips on how to make your story stand out. A lot of the PhD threads talk about focusing on being blunt and discussing your research interests and not as much on your personal story. Does this same advice stand for MSW programs? What do admissions boards look for?

I like the idea of using a personal narrative as the intro, but I also don't want to be cliche either.

Who would have thought writing about yourself would be this difficult?!

**Schools I'm applying to: Fordham, Columbia, NYU, Hunter**

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way. :)

I'd like to hear the responses to this as well. I too am applying for an MSW for Fall 2012 and have the same questions. I know for the joint MSW/PhD application for Berkeley I basically talked about my research experience. I was told PhD statements should be all about research, research, research.

However, there are a couple of other programs that I am interested in that are solely MSW. I want to and will mention my research in these applications, but should I put an emphasis on something else and have research take a back seat? For example: clinical experience, interactions with clients, field work?

I also have a question about the anecdote aspect of a personal statement. As ohme_ohmy stated above, is this too cliche nowadays? Should I just get right to the point? For the MSW/PhD Berkeley application I just did, I first had an anecdote and then decided to take it out.

Any help will do and thanks in advance!

Edited by rjose

Well, I applied to a MSW program and was on a less strict guideline on what to actually discuss. My program was more focused on your strengths, weaknesses, and things you would like to improve on as a potential candidate at the University as well as what you feel you can bring to the program that is not already seen from previous classes. I focused on my personal storytelling skills but I also incorporated very conceptually how it can translate into a competent social work professional. It won't be cliche as long as you tie it in to how these experiences have structured your interest in the field. Hope this helps.

As far as what the admissions boards look like, it's only a group of three professors, the dean and the admissions team at the College of Social Work (USC) that reviews your personal statements. Usually, the three professors make a recommendation to have you in the program, the dean then reviews your statement and accomplishments listed on your application and makes the final recommendation to the admissions team and after they read and evaluate their recommendations... you are either approved, wait-listed, or denied.

Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I noticed that your profile reads: Columbia and University of South Carolina and USC - did you apply to Columbia and USC? Any advice because I plan on applying to both.

Thanks!

For most of my applications, a sort of standard format for the personal statement was laid out because they want to know certain things about you. The issue task (describe a social issue of importance to you and suggest a policy or direct practice response) is something that I think you should give plenty of attention. I wouldn't worry about being too standard with the formatting, because the content is what will make you stand out. :)

For what it's worth, my statement looked like:

Practice-related story

Demonstrate understanding of social work field and readiness for grad school

My background

Issue response, which I wrote about an issue that I was passionate about/have experience with

Address fit with the school (particular theoretical orientations/programs of study/etc. that made the school a good fit for me)

Conclusion

• 2 weeks later...

The issue task (describe a social issue of importance to you and suggest a policy or direct practice response) is something that I think you should give plenty of attention.

2011 MSW Hopeful, can you say alittle more about how you addressed the issue task? I'm having a very difficult time writing mine.

Edited by angelamarie32

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 07.12.2011 at 11:10 PM, angelamarie32 said:

2011 MSW Hopeful, can you say alittle more about how you addressed the issue task? I'm having a very difficult time writing mine.

How did it go? Were you accepted?

I'm working on my personal statement at the moment. There are some tips on this website - Social Work Personal Statement - that I find helpful.

Maybe someone will find them useful as well.

Edited by randybrandy
typo