niche22

Hi All

Im applying for an MPH at the following universities:

1. population health at UBC

2. health promotion at UofT

3. Health policy at UofA

4. mph at SFU

My specs:

I graduated form Queen's University in biology with a 3.7 GPA in the last two years and overal cGPA of a 3.0. I have some volunteer experience in health but no professional designation. I took a year off but worked in a bank, so completely unrelated.

Im wondering what people are applying for and what their specs are.

Lets get this thread going!

Hello!

I'm applying to the MSc Sante Communitaire at U de Montreal and to the MPH at SFU. GPA: 3.8 for a BA French and 3.6 for a BS Nursing from 2 US universities. 2.5 years work experience as a rural public health nurse. I'm from the US and am a bit unfamiliar with Canadian Universities, but I'd like to learn public health in a better system than ours :) Any tips or insights into these schools would be awesome.

Good luck everyone!

Hey guys,

Great thread. Let's hope we can generate some more buzz over here. I've applied to:

1. U of Alberta, Health Promotion (distance ed)

2. U of Toronto, Health Promotion

3. U of Waterloo, Sociobehavioural stream (distance)

4. Still debating UBC, U Saskatchewan (distance), and Queen's...

I have my BSc from U of T, with a 3.5 in my last 2 years and a cGPA of 3.2. I've been out of undergrad for about 2 years. I have worked at a healthcare admin/regulatory organization and at a community health centre doing health education work. I've also had irrelevant work experience working overseas and as a flight attendant. Not sure if this is enough professional experience considering a lot of these programs want to recruit the really experienced professionals.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey MPHeg. Finally someone responds! haha. Well, Queen's MPH is good. My friend did that after his undergrad in lifesci. But very epi based. So if youre planning on pursuing health promotion.. Im not sure their interests would align with yours.

U of T and U of A are really good schools, top notch. So I think they really want you to show them that youre fit for the job. I think they take a lot of people who have professional experience. Which I personally do not. But I'm hoping because I'm a bit different they will see that as a good thing.

Hey NMRN.. which MPH are you applying to at SFU? They look like the have really good programs!

hi

i have done my BDS ie Bachelors in dental surgery from Pakistn.i am interested in doing MPH from canada.can you please help me out that with this degree can i be accepted in this programme.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody, first post here!

I'm applying to MPH programs at SFU (population health concentration), McGill, and U of T (health promotion concentration). I graduated from McGill this spring with a BA Honours in Geography (overall GPA 3.7/4, last two years 3.8/4) and a couple summers of research experience. For the past year I've been volunteering with a local organization that seeks to promote well-being among youth, first doing administrative work and then as a sex educator. I also have extensive volunteer experience with other social justice oriented organizations.

NMRN: Are you a citizen of any other country (countries)? If you also have Canadian citizenship then U de M would be incredibly cheap (under $1100 per semester!), as you would be able to claim Quebec residency. Certain francophone countries also have agreements with the government of Québec that allow their citizens to pay in-province tuition. If not, international tuition at SFU is refreshingly cheap (relative to other schools).

Good luck everybody!

Hello Folks,

Thought I'd join the bandwagon as well.

I'm applying for McGill, UofT and UofA for epidemiology.

Background: Last year of undergrad at a Toronto University, 3.75/4 cGPA. 4 years of experience in research (Hospital + School) and some experience in the community related to health promotion activities with a public health agency. Lastly, I have some publications, grant reviewing experience, and administrative/leadership roles since the start of my undergrad.

Good luck everyone!

Montrealer, SFU international tuition is actually slightly cheaper than my instate US option, if you can believe it. U de M is as an international student is also significantly cheaper than most out of state options and pretty much all the private MPH options, even with pending tuition hikes. My FAFSA financial aid is useable in Canada. Combined with great programs and exciting places to explore, there aren't a lot of compelling reasons not to branch out and move north.

I'm studying at UofT and I'm applying to MPHs at SFU, University of Saskatchewan and York University (MA). I'm also applying to Social Work and Public Policy.

I've just submitted my payments- I'm wondering for anyone who has applied to SFU, how long does it take the faculty to send you the referee forms after you have submitted the payment? Thanks in advance!

Hey gorillacake,

It only took a couple days for the Faculty of Health Sciences to get back to me after I paid. They don't actually give you the form, instead they direct you to a website where you can enter the contact info for your referees (they'll be contacted directly by the FHS) and upload your supporting documents.

YeahI I agree with montrealer. It only took 2 days for them to reply to me confirming payment and issue me an application# which I used to log on to a link they sent me. In the link, they will allow you to enter your referral info.

I remember roaming these forums last year when I was applying for my MPH! I ended up selecting UofA and I can definitely vouch for it. In particular the Epi stream, the professors are top notch and the administrative side of the University is very organized. The students get lots of information about whats going on in the school and the guest lecture opportunities are fantastic.

Wish you guys the best in your applications!

Hi,

I have finished BDS ( Bachelor of Dental Surgery ) and currently doing one year internship. I am from India and planning to study MPH in Canada.

I have applied in SFU, UBC, U O Sask, U O A, Memorial university.

I got excited when i saw this forum and want to share my views and get back members views and experiences.

I wanted to know about the job prospects in Canada after doing masters. How much a graduate earns there.

Does anybody know about funding, scholarships and TA, DA etc.

I don't want to burden my family and want to study of my own. I went through websites of universities, but practically how much funding and scholarship they offer.

My IETS score is 7.5

GRE score is 304/340 i know not good.

My last 2 yrs aggregate in BDS is 73%

After completing my BDS program I got interested in research.

I hope my friends would help me.

Hi everyone. I'm finishing up my 4th year at McGill. (Double majors in Microbiology & Immunology + International Development Studies)

I'm thinking of applications for U Sask, Waterloo, for distance education and U of T and Queen's...focus on Epi

I just recently decided distance education might be a better option for me due to cost, so I'm back to doing research on which schools offer it.

Anyone applying to the States? I got great GREs but my GPA's not so good, and my understanding is that Canadian schools put little emphasis on GREs or don't even look at them.

V 164, Q 168, A 5.5 ... cGPA is just above the cut off, with one bad semester from extenuating circumstance.

I'm unsure if this round will be fruitful but doesn't hurt to try :)

To those that applied to UAlberta and Sask, maybe you can help me out answer this:

Most of our application needs to be directly mailed into the graduate unit via snail mail, but the online access to our application is supposed to show the status of each component (outstanding vs. received). Has anyone actually had these changed to received?

I mailed in my transcripts weeks ago and am just wondering if it is just an administrative delay (or they don't update these at all), or if I should be mailing in new copies. Thanks everyone!

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm planning of giving U of T Epidemiology a try. Unfortunately, I don't think my GPA is competitive enough. My last 5.0 FCE of highest level is around 3.37. I do have 3 years of Research Assistant experience; 1 year of Independent study (manuscript in progress for potential publication) + 1 year working as a Project Manager at a Medical Equipment Manufacturing Company + volunteer experiences (First Year Initiative Program @ U of T, Health Clinic (Summer promoting well-being for seniors), Epilepsy York Region, Volunteer Note-Taker at U of T, & Summer work experience at Epilepsy as a Resource & Volunteer Coordinator). I guess I will just see where my application will take me. Good Luck Everyone!

Hey MPHeh?, I called University of Sask to ask them that and they said that they do it all by hand, so it takes awhile. You can call their application admin office to find out if they have received it and not yet updated it.

It's the same with me though. I've sent my transcripts and one of my references submitted, but they're not showing up yet.

It is slightly frustrating...

Hey gorillacake,

I ended up emailing both universities and got pretty prompt replies. Sask was kind enough to let me know they did receive my transcript and Alberta said they're behind due to the holidays and the moving of their office locations. In any case, I think we can be at least assured that most likely nothing got lost in the post!

And thanks M19!

Hi!

Im applying at:

1. University of Manitoba (I have ben taking classes there this year as an 'occasional student')

2. U of T - population health

3. SFU - Global Health

4. UBC

My background is in infectious disease clinical/community health nursing and a few different research nursing jobs in HIV feild research with high-risk populations (i have been nursing for 6 years). My GPA is quite good (3.9 undergrad, 4.25 grad), but I did not get into U of M last year so I am not holding my breath.

I think most of my applications are complete, just waiting on transcripts and letters of reference. I'm pretty excited, but the wait will seem long.