MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

I e-mailed them and they said that we are suppose to get our official letter for FGSR at the end of April - and the end of April already passed so i'm not too sure what's going on?

@P1charkraborty did u receive any funding offer from uofa?

To the U Sask crew, I checked the university website for campus housing and there are a couple of options for graduate students. Check the Seager Wheeler Hall and Voyageur Place on campus. For myself I would personally prefer the on campus housing because I am not from Saskatchewan and I will need a place that is fully furnished. Campus housing will definitely be closer and includes utilities (not sure about internet). The only down side is the rental is only for 8 months. I completed the online application for housing a while ago and I am unsure whether I will get in. Campus housing tends to go fast.

Living off campus gives you flexibilities which most people prefer and the rent may be cheaper than on campus (depending on where you live). However, you will have to sign the lease, find a good location, monthly utilities payment, moving in your furniture etc.

Since I am unfamiliar with Saskatoon, I think I will stick to on campus. These are my thoughts for now and please let me know what you guys think!

Cheers,

Hi, is there anyone here that's going for Epidemiology at UofA?

To all the UofA MPH students: is there anyway to connect with the students starting in September 2012 before the orientation week? Like a facebook group or something?

Anyone here from Toronto going to UofA for MPH? Message me or post here if you want to get together to discuss anything related to this masters program.

Thanks and I do apologize in advance if this question was asked previously (and replied).

Thanks @MPH 2012 for sharing. Though i am finally going to SFU.

Is there anyone who have ideas or more information regarding off campus housing at SFU besides what is provided online?

There is very little university-owned off-campus housing at SFU. (And from what I have heard, it is not in very good shape). There is a relatively recent private development called UniverCity, but you'd have to look elsewhere for information I believe. Another thing to consider is that SFU is quite isolated as it located on top of a hill/mountain; it's very much a commuter campus. I would recommend looking on Cragislist or Padmapper (a website that plots housing ads on a map) for an apartment near Burnaby Mountain or along one of the major transit routes. The commercial drive area has a lot of character and is easily accessible via the Millenium Line. The area around Lougheed is also very accessible (but kind of depressing). New Westminster is also pretty close and accessible via the SkyTrain. If you have any questions about different areas PM me. I grew up not too far away from SFU.

Hello All!

Is anyone out there going to McGill in Fall for Epi/MPH? Be lovely to make some contacts before starting.

I'll be moving from the UK at the beginning of June and don't really know anyone!

Facebook groups may be the way forward!?

Also is anyone still waiting for official confirmation?

Thank you all!

Hi everyone, has anyone heard anything from Uvic? I know some offers have been made but I haven't received anything either way....I don't know if I am waitlisted or not..Do you guys know by when Uvic completes their admission into MPH?

thanks,

Hello All!

Is anyone out there going to McGill in Fall for Epi/MPH? Be lovely to make some contacts before starting.

I'll be moving from the UK at the beginning of June and don't really know anyone!

Facebook groups may be the way forward!?

Also is anyone still waiting for official confirmation?

Thank you all!

I am :) I'm not sure if we need to start a facebook group, but I'd love to make contact before starting as well. Message me!

I received my official confirmation last week, but that's because I really pushed them as I had deadlines coming up for other offers. They've been extra busy this year and even until 2 weeks ago the department still hadn't forwarded my file to the GPS. I think they're working to get the rest out now.

Hi People, I finally got my Official Admission email (got the recommendation email since Feb 24) from U of Saskatchewan this evening. The email said that the Formal Letter will be mailed and I should contact CGSR if I don't receive it after 3weeks.

Hi People, I finally got my Official Admission email (got the recommendation email since Feb 24) from U of Saskatchewan this evening. The email said that the Formal Letter will be mailed and I should contact CGSR if I don't receive it after 3weeks.

Great, Finally it arrived, Good Luck, Did you get reply from SFU?, I guess you would get between June 15-18.

@Dentist24: SFU has sent me me 2 emails. One said that I have been accepted of the waitlist, the other was a recommendation to the DGS for a Formal Admission Letter to be sent to me. Am yet to get the email copy of the Final Admission Letter.

Which school do you mean I should expect from between June 15-18 and why this date? Pls would love to know.

I really hope all correspondence will get to me this month as the Canadian Embassy in my country Nigeria states that TRV/Study Permit Applications should be submitted within 3-4 months of the school start date. I've missed out on 4months so am hoping to meet up with submitting within 3months of school start date.

How far have you gone with your Visa/Study Permit Application? Hope all preprations are moving on fine for you.

@ Dentist24 and the whole U of Saskatchewan crew, I got an email from the CGSR today and one of the conditions for registration is to send my Official Transcripts to them. My question now is was everybody else given this same condition? Pls let me know.Thank You.

Hi everyone, has anyone heard anything from Uvic? I know some offers have been made but I haven't received anything either way....I don't know if I am waitlisted or not..Do you guys know by when Uvic completes their admission into MPH?

thanks,

@LILMPH: I received my offer on March 23rd via email and had to respond by April 6th. I received an official letter from Graduate Admissions and Records on April 20th via email. I'm not sure when they complete admissions, but I'm sure it depends on people still deciding which school/program. Probably best to contact the program manager and ask.

Hi Ginnie,

I don`t think I was given the same condition as you. It doesn`t say anywhere on my official acceptance letter that I need to submit my transcript. Mine says `you have been accepted fully qualified for a Master of Public Health degree`, so I`m assuming that I don`t have to? I also successfully registered for PAWS today.

Cheers

@ Dentist24 and the whole U of Saskatchewan crew, I got an email from the CGSR today and one of the conditions for registration is to send my Official Transcripts to them. My question now is was everybody else given this same condition? Pls let me know.Thank You.

Hi Ginnie,

I don`t think I was given the same condition as you. It doesn`t say anywhere on my official acceptance letter that I need to submit my transcript. Mine says `you have been accepted fully qualified for a Master of Public Health degree`, so I`m assuming that I don`t have to? I also successfully registered for PAWS today.

Cheers

In my case there is a conditional too, it says I have to submit my original BDS degree, which I completed on 31th March and convocation would be held next year as per my university sources. I mailed CGSR as per their instruction I post mailed them certified copy of my provisional degree. I am anxious to hear positive reply from them. Unconditional letter of offer is basic requirement of Canadian Embassy for issuing a student visa

@ Dentist24 and Spinous: Thanks for replying. Its so strange to me, my transcripts that they are asking for was submitted together with my Admissions Application Package so am wondering why they are still asking for it. Well I'll send them an email on Monday to let them know and find out why and if I still need to send in another one or maybe they'll go pull it out from my Application for Admissions Package.

Hey I received a formal letter in the mail from the school of grad studies yesterday. I don't live in Alberta, so depending on where you live, you should hear something soon!

Thanks for letting me know! I don't live in Alberta either, so that could account for a bit of the lag time :)

Hi everyone,

This is a question mostly for those who applied to the MPH Health Promotion at U of T.

I didn't apply for this Fall 2012, however I will be applying for entrance in Fall 2013, and I just was hoping for some advice and to see what you thought my chances were of getting in. I will be applying to other MPH programs as well but U of T really is my top choice as it is in Ontario (and therefore the Ontario Graduate Scholarship is possible), and it also provides a Global Health focus.

I graduated with honours from WLU with a B.A in Global Studies (International Development). The GPA at WLU is ranked out of 12 so it's a bit different but my overall GPA is 10.14 / 12 (basically overall average of about 82% in all 4 years).

I worked in a medical environment (a Chiropody clinic) as a receptionist for 4 consecutive summers (the only professional health-related experience I have). I did a university exchange in Australia. I took part in a 1-month humanitarian volunteer project in Morocco. I've just finished a 7-month contract as an English teaching assistant in France. I'm bilingual. I have some volunteer experience with the Canadian Mental Health Association (but nothing amazing). Those are pretty much my specs.

As I still have a year before Fall 2013, I'm really looking to get a public health-related job before September so I can put that on my application as well. I want to apply to the November deadline so that I can find out sooner if I am accepted or rejected / waitlisted.

Any advise / information AT ALL would be very much appreciated !

Thank you so much and congratulations to everyone who got accepted ! :)

Hi Carolyn,

I applied to the epi stream and didn't get in. Here were my stats:

- Overall GPA somewhere around a mid B. not very stellar. My last year was amazing and got an A average (went to mac, also on a 12 point scale and I had a 10.8 I believe). I got an A- in stats (required)

After graduation I worked with a surgeon doing research, then moved on to doing some analtical stuff (non health related) and then spent 2.5 years working in the public health sector on epi projects for a major hospital downtown.

I was a little surprised I didn't get in considering I exceeded the minimium requirements. They say they only look at your last year (both on their website and I confirmed with their grad advisor) but I am thinking they look at all years. The epi stream is extremely competitive with over 300 applicants for 30 spots. Alot of the spots tend to go to students who are waiting to get into/reapply to med school. The health promotion stream might be a bit easier but overall UofT is a hard school to get into.

I am going to Sask in the fall for an MPH and am very excited! I was hesitant at first but after speaking to a few grads from the program I realize it is a great program with lots of opportunity to tailor it to your needs. Hope that helps!

Hi everyone,

This is a question mostly for those who applied to the MPH Health Promotion at U of T.

I didn't apply for this Fall 2012, however I will be applying for entrance in Fall 2013, and I just was hoping for some advice and to see what you thought my chances were of getting in. I will be applying to other MPH programs as well but U of T really is my top choice as it is in Ontario (and therefore the Ontario Graduate Scholarship is possible), and it also provides a Global Health focus.

I graduated with honours from WLU with a B.A in Global Studies (International Development). The GPA at WLU is ranked out of 12 so it's a bit different but my overall GPA is 10.14 / 12 (basically overall average of about 82% in all 4 years).

I worked in a medical environment (a Chiropody clinic) as a receptionist for 4 consecutive summers (the only professional health-related experience I have). I did a university exchange in Australia. I took part in a 1-month humanitarian volunteer project in Morocco. I've just finished a 7-month contract as an English teaching assistant in France. I'm bilingual. I have some volunteer experience with the Canadian Mental Health Association (but nothing amazing). Those are pretty much my specs.

As I still have a year before Fall 2013, I'm really looking to get a public health-related job before September so I can put that on my application as well. I want to apply to the November deadline so that I can find out sooner if I am accepted or rejected / waitlisted.

Hi everyone,

Hi Carolyn, I was accepted this year to the MPH health promotion program at UofT. My impression is you're not yet competitive - they really stress relevant public health/social justice/social & behavioural health experience as part of their application. Also HP is as competitive as epi, accepting just under 1 in 10 people. You might have enough time to prepare. Make sure that you carefully read up on the program to find out what makes it unique (eg. 2 practica allowing you to experience a research and professional setting, or have double experience in one), obtain excellent letters, and really good experience! Try coordinating research at a public health unit or hospital full-time if you can, or working with a big-name organization. You need to make yourself standout. Apply to OGS, CIHR, and any other big scholarships you can so you can say you applied on your application, which will remind them of your good grades. Also, the November deadline is for PhD, there's no advantage to submitting before Jan. That gives you about 6 months to make your application competitive - good luck:)