MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I applied to MPH programs last year and was admitted to Universite de Montreal. I decided not to go because the program wasn't exactly what I wanted, and I regret it. If anyone has any questions about interviews or anything else about UdeM's program, feel free to PM me. I'll try to answer the best I can. I also found a document about acceptance rates at UdeM. I'll see if I can find it again. They were about 25-30%. Pretty good! i guess no one in Canada is interested in studying at a french school, so application rates are low.

Just a minor correction to make to Montrealers post: if you are a Canadian citizen, you can only get QC residency by living in the province for three months prior to the start of full-time studies. Otherwise, you're billed out of province tuition, which is closer to $6000/annum. Either way, it's much cheaper than a US education.

This year, I'm applying to McMaster's Global Health program, U of T and McGill. My preferred program is McMaster. If anyone knows anything about this program, i would greatly appreciate advice or insight. Is anyone else here applying?

Hey MPHeh?, I called University of Sask to ask them that and they said that they do it all by hand, so it takes awhile. You can call their application admin office to find out if they have received it and not yet updated it.

It's the same with me though. I've sent my transcripts and one of my references submitted, but they're not showing up yet.

It is slightly frustrating...

Hi everyone,

Same is happening with me, i check everyday and notice they don't upgrade the application status. May be due to large number of applications, but this is not fair. It keeps me guessing that my documents have not reached to them.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think my chances are? I am so anxious... and I am so clueless at the moment:

I applied to:

a) MPH UofT Health Promotion

B) MPH UBC

c) MPH Alberta (global health)

d) MPH SFU (global health)

e) MSc Global Health at McMaster

My cGPA is 3.65

I have great references

4 research experiences (currently 2 - one in global health)

2 local volunteering

1 international volunteering

exec for 2 clubs

Intern at MSF Toronto

Piano Teacher

and lots of other random stuff like I have a snowboard instructor's license and I have ARCT Piano performance at RCM.

I feel I have strong ECs.. but my GPA is not amazing..... Should I apply to other Master programs not in public health, but in psychology or life sciences as my back up? Or do you think I might have a chance? :(

help

hey piccku,

i really don't know what anyones chances are of getting in (new to this too!), but it sounds like you are a really well rounded applicant. Why did you pick the schools that you did? If you really want to work in public health, I wouldnt apply to psych etc.

I really want to do public health, but I know that it's difficult to get into.. so I thought maybe I need a back-up plan. I also like psychology research :D

I chose UA, SFU, UT, and Mac bc they have good global health programs - I am interested in working for the minority population as well as the international population. I also chose UBC because I like Vancouver!

Edited by piccku

SFU, UBC, U of Manitoba and U of T. I've got a family, so the cities I applied to are pretty limited due to work & support considerations. Plus I really have no interest in living in Alberta or Saskatchewan, even if my partner could find work in his field there. SFU and UBC are my top picks - I'm interested in the work being done at the BC Centre for Excellence in HIV, and both schools are affiliated. The UBC deadline is driving me mad though - I've submitted my GRE scores twice now and it still says 'not received'. I'm glad all of my schools' deadlines are passed or today. I want to start getting results!

Oh wow - the admissions systems at the universities are sometimes really frustrating! But I think the schools know that - they seem to be apologizing every time I send them an email about the status :)

I hope you get into your choices! Good luck!! We'll have to wait months now! :rolleyes:

Hi!

I have an interest in epidemiology as it relates to medicines. I've applied to: UBC, U of T (epi), McGill (MPH) and McMaster (HRM).

Do you guys know when we're supposed to hear back? I can't find any info on the websites!

It depends. Usually btw March-April. Sometimes May. Don't wait! Just forget about it.

Hey! Thanks you're definitely right. I won't wait as painful as it is. Thankfully I heard back from Mac yesterday about the HRM program :) , 3 more to go!

It depends. Usually btw March-April. Sometimes May. Don't wait! Just forget about it.

Has anyone applied to (or have any information on) U of Guelph's MPH program? I know they have more of a focus on infectious diseases etc, since the program is under their veterinary school. However, their program is still pretty new, since they've only had one batch of graduates so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to wait patiently... Last year I heard back from UBC and Queens on March 1st, so hopefully the wait isn't too much longer. :S

Does anyone know how many students are in the UBC MPH class?

Applied: UBC (MPH), LSHTM (MSc Public Health), Imperial College (MPH)

Accepted:

Rejected:

I'm trying to wait patiently... Last year I heard back from UBC and Queens on March 1st, so hopefully the wait isn't too much longer. :S

Does anyone know how many students are in the UBC MPH class?

Applied: UBC (MPH), LSHTM (MSc Public Health), Imperial College (MPH)

Accepted:

Rejected:

Hi, there are approx 20 students in UBC MPH, I came to know from my friend.

Hi everyone, Three days back i got a mail from U O Saskatchewan, I got accepted and i must wait for official letter of admission, it mat take a month or more. I hope many of you who had applied there must have got acceptance mail.

I am eagerly waiting for UBC and SFU.

Does anyone know about Msc in community health in UNBC.

I'm trying to wait patiently... Last year I heard back from UBC and Queens on March 1st, so hopefully the wait isn't too much longer. :S Does anyone know how many students are in the UBC MPH class? Applied: UBC (MPH), LSHTM (MSc Public Health), Imperial College (MPH) Accepted: Rejected:

Oh my gosh, this made my heart skip a beat. March 1st is so close!

Hii Everyone,

I came across this page and thought it nice to share.I did apply to SFU, UM, USASK for MPH.USASK gave me an offer last week. Its both exciting when you receive a response and an offer. But, on the other hand nerve-wrecking while waiting. Lets be patient and positive.

Thanks for all your contributions. It is motivating going through all your experiences.

Most deadlines have passed so emails/letters should start to arrive shortly ^_^ !

Background: My academic background is not in public health but I've had a lot of hands-on experience and hope to pursue a PhD in Public Health. I have completed ~6 RAships in health, worked overseas on health projects in developing countries for well-known organizations, and (sadly :() turned down a great position with MSF to wait out these results.

I applied to the PhD and/or MPH programs at Oxford, LSHTM, McGill, UBC, Alberta UofT, UWO. I've received unofficial acceptances from a few schools but I am waiting for "the letter"!

Most deadlines have passed so emails/letters should start to arrive shortly ^_^ !

Background: My academic background is not in public health but I've had a lot of hands-on experience and hope to pursue a PhD in Public Health. I have completed ~6 RAships in health, worked overseas on health projects in developing countries for well-known organizations, and (sadly :() turned down a great position with MSF to wait out these results.

I applied to the PhD and/or MPH programs at Oxford, LSHTM, McGill, UBC, Alberta UofT, UWO. I've received unofficial acceptances from a few schools but I am waiting for "the letter"!

Hi, What is your qualification and which school you think is good for you?

Hi, What is your qualification and which school you think is good for you?

I have a background in arts and science (McGill). My dream school is Oxford, followed by LSHTM->UBC->McGill->UWO->Alberta->Toronto.

Congratulations on your offer from the University of Saskatchewan!