2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

i got invited to a graduate recruitment weekend with all expenses paid including flight and accommodations as a top applicant. I'm assuming this is a good thing right? I have spent time in the field with my POI and have talked back and fourth for almost a year now.

i got invited to a graduate recruitment weekend with all expenses paid including flight and accommodations as a top applicant. I'm assuming this is a good thing right? I have spent time in the field with my POI and have talked back and fourth for almost a year now.

I think you know the answer to this! :) Definitely a good thing. If they're paying to see you, they're obviously very interested in you.

Well thanks. It was very exciting to get the invitation especially being 1 of 5 people receiving the invitation for GRW. It is the only graduate school i applied to (i know i took a risk and it looks like its going to pay off) so i really want to get in.

hmmm, am bit scared as i did not hear from any school (UCSD, UCSC, USC, MInes, Indiana, URI, Utah state, Yale (Not possible)) yet i applied (8).

I don't know about the geophysics program but most earth science programs at Mines are sloooow to send out acceptances.

I wonder about the admission process at Columbia. Someone reported the acceptance on Feb 9th, but my POI said on 10th that they are still in the midst of admission process. Then no more report of offers on gradcafe since then. Any other folks heard from Columbia lately?

You're right, people are starting to hear back from Columbia! *crossing fingers*

Indiana don't send admissions until the interview is made. I remember you're a international student right? Maybe they will send your admission together with other domestic students', since probably you won't be able to visit... The interview is like first weekend of March.

Is there anyone who got acceptance from UCSC or Indiana Bloomington , For geophysics program ?

I wonder about the admission process at Columbia. Someone reported the acceptance on Feb 9th, but my POI said on 10th that they are still in the midst of admission process. Then no more report of offers on gradcafe since then. Any other folks heard from Columbia lately?

I'm still waiting on Columbia for geophysics but my hopes are down ever since seeing people post on the results board

Their admission secretary told me that there will be more admissions sent out through February. Maybe we just need to be patient and see what will happen.

I'm still waiting on Columbia for geophysics but my hopes are down ever since seeing people post on the results board

Have you or your friends heard from U Maryland's Geology Department yet? I heard that they have made offer decisions but don't know whether they notified applicants through e-mail or normal postal service. Seems that some schools just send normal post without prior e-mail notifications.

I'm starting to have a mini panic attack every time I get an email! Smart phones may be a horrible idea.

Get rid of the smartphone now and you could save yourself a load of stress and money once you start grad school. I dunno about you but I prefer not to be anxiously awaiting the next email from my advisor or some whiny undergrad. :P

Have you or your friends heard from U Maryland's Geology Department yet? I heard that they have made offer decisions but don't know whether they notified applicants through e-mail or normal postal service. Seems that some schools just send normal post without prior e-mail notifications.

Haven't heard anything about U Maryland. I do know that some schools only contact you via post as opposed to email.... thus i have found myself somewhat stalking the postman in my neighborhood... :blink:

Haven't heard anything about U Maryland. I do know that some schools only contact you via post as opposed to email.... thus i have found myself somewhat stalking the postman in my neighborhood... :blink:

Thank you for your information!

I bothered the postman a lot... ;)

Get rid of the smartphone now and you could save yourself a load of stress and money once you start grad school. I dunno about you but I prefer not to be anxiously awaiting the next email from my advisor or some whiny undergrad. :P

Haha - I'm glad that I still don't know how to log onto my Gmail account with my smartphone.

I got a reply from someone in the nohow at columbia.... 17 have been taken in early admission... they will take 31 total students this year.

Only 14 more spots ... and so many applicants .....

Woah - is this for all divisions of their program? I get the sense that the divisions each have different timeframes - the climate science division, in particular, seems particularly late (as I know top applicants who only got offers in March), and no one I knew from the Yale Open House had offers from Columbia at that point (of course, that sample is highly biased towards climate science applicants). Granted, this probably wouldn't be reassuring to anyone who applied outside the climate science division...

Though like I said before - I do get the sense that a lot of people turn it down because it is somewhat fragmented (though some people are more okay with the fragmentation than others). So there will definitely be openings. In fact, even if 17 have been taken in early admission, that still means that the vast majority of slots are still open if we assume a yield rate of 50%. And the chances are very high that the yield rate for top students is much lower than the yield rate for non-top students.

(with that said though, I highly doubt the incoming class size is going to be 31 students. So there's still a lot of uncertainty. We're going to have to wait until the visiting weeks for all the other places conclude first. And I'm really not sure if one could set a maximum number of students to send offers to, given that this number is harder to set than the number of students one has open positions for)

That being said, there is always a lag between when they decide to accept someone and when they actually send the offer. I know that I got accepted by Brown a week ago, but I still haven't received any official offer yet (so I would still be in the dark if I didn't visit).

PS: Brown likes to spoil all of its visiting students. :)

Edited by InquilineKea