2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Woah - very interesting profile - I suppose we'll meet each other at Chicago then. ;)

PS: What are your precise research interests? Any in the intersection of EPS and Astro?

If you don't mind telling me, which professors at UCLA, Chicago, and Columbia did you contact? And which specific division at UCLA did you apply to?

Edited by InquilineKea

For the others - regarding Columbia, I originally said this:

"PS: The faculty vote for the first round of Columbia EESC decisions is coming on Friday January 27th (and the first round of acceptances will come out the following week)."

But maybe I'm mistaken? I might have confused the word "next Friday" at the time I called, which could have been the Friday after January 27th. Apparently, AA105 just got in Columbia - congrats! Anyways, since his profile is clearly exceptional, he's probably going to be one of the first people accepted there.

There does seem to be some inconsistent information though. My first contact (the professor) said that admissions in the climate division was done separately from that of the entire department. But then the department adviser said that admissions is done department-wise (with just one representative from the climate division). And then more inconsistent information from what NoNO said (who said that decisions are still a month away).

Edited by InquilineKea

It is probably done by division... the two people I spoke two are in the ocean physics division. They are great people... but not the most tactful as with most scientists.

#just rechecked the email... she says its done by division. Anyway if you don't get early admission don't fret... columbia takes a lot of students as they have loads of money. If you do get in... I can't think of a better place to be.

Edited by NoNO

My impression is that since Columbia is by far the biggest and broadest of the strong departments, it also attracts a very large fraction of the strongest applicants (I'd probably also guess that it attracts more applicants than almost every other department, although I could be wrong on that). When I ask people what schools they've applied to, Columbia is included more often than any other school in the list. But on the other hand, since it's also big, it doesn't seem to be as personal as many of the other schools, so many accepted students also turn it down as well.

Edited by InquilineKea

My impression is that since Columbia is by far the biggest and broadest of the strong departments, it also attracts a very large fraction of the strongest applicants (I'd probably also guess that it attracts more applicants than almost every other department, although I could be wrong on that). When I ask people what schools they've applied to, Columbia is included more often than any other school in the list. But on the other hand, since it's also big, it doesn't seem to be as personal as many of the other schools, so many accepted students also turn it down as well.

you are right... they get about 180 applicants. If columbia is your first choice, its worth holding out for it until as long as you can until get accepted/rejected.

Kitkat, at Columbia do you have a POI in mind yet? I worked for Jerry McManus at WHOI when he was there and he is a really great guy. I'm not up on his most current research at Columbia but he was working with Icelandic cores 10 years ago. I just saw a post with your interests and thought they were similar.

Kitkat, at Columbia do you have a POI in mind yet? I worked for Jerry McManus at WHOI when he was there and he is a really great guy. I'm not up on his most current research at Columbia but he was working with Icelandic cores 10 years ago. I just saw a post with your interests and thought they were similar.

I contacted a few of the professors there who's research I was interested in, but he wasn't one of them, although his stuff is interesting. Just wasn't quite what I was looking for grad work. But if I end up there, I might still have contact with him. Nice to know that he is good to work with. ;-)

So my most trusted LOR got called by one of the grad schools (I do not know which) Saying that i was seriously considered for a position but he was asking about my Low GPA (3.12, T_T). According to my LOR the person made it seem that it was the only dimple in my other wise great application, I wonder if this is a really bad thing or not. I think im going to go freeze myself in Liquid Nitrogen.

So my most trusted LOR got called by one of the grad schools (I do not know which) Saying that i was seriously considered for a position but he was asking about my Low GPA (3.12, T_T). According to my LOR the person made it seem that it was the only dimple in my other wise great application, I wonder if this is a really bad thing or not. I think im going to go freeze myself in Liquid Nitrogen.

This cannot be a bad thing at all..right?? Congratulations!!! :)

Heard from my POI in Scripps (UCSD) saying that I've been accepted to the PhD program in Climate Science and I should've heard from another professor about it already. Should I be worried that I haven't heard yet?

I dont know, but you should email your POI. Congratz on getting accepted

Undergrad Institution: Jahangirnagar University, Bangladesh

Major(s): Geological Sciences

GPA in Major: 3.40

Overall GPA: 3.34

Position in Class: 4 out of 24

Type of Student: International

GRE Scores (revised/old version): 1340 /317

Q: 730/ 157

V: 610/160

W: 3.0

TOEFL Total: 85 in ibt

Research Experience: Four interantaionl peer reviewed publications, 1 International Presentation during Undergrad

Interest : Earthquake Seismology, Co-seismic Ground deformation, Geodesy, Physics of Earthquake, Rupture Dynamics.

Applying to Where:

UCSD(Scripps), UCSC (EPS), MInes (Geophysics), Yale, Indiana University Bloomington, Utah State, Rhode island (Graduate school of Oceanography), USC

Accepted : N/A

Rejected: N/A

Wating : Waiting. Waiting is painful.

I know my profile is not very good as u guys, i can hope at least to get admission to a moderate school. I'm extremely worried about that. Everyday seems to me like a month. Every day, every time i come to my PC i check them all, but find nothing. :( Still waiting

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 LAC

Major(s): Astrophysics

Minor(s): Nearly Wgst, Nearly Geo

GPA in Major: 3.3

Overall GPA: 3.4/5

Position in Class: top 25%?

Type of Student: Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 158, 79%tile

V: 166, 97%tile

W: 5.0, 87%tile

P: Didn't take it, not required by any schools. Studied for it, guessing 40-50%tile

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience:

part time cassini radio team research @ school 1 semester

1 summer REU @ Cornell Astro Dept studying Mars surface

1 summer REU @ JPL Geophys dept studying Venus interior

1 year independent thesis research on Venus lithospheric structure

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Will graduate w/honors in major

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Physics tutor (1.5 yrs), Astro tutor (2 yrs), Physics grader (2 yrs)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

lol nope.

Special Bonus Points

- writing skills

- unique background in non-science?

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Boston University - Earth Science - Solid earth geophysics, tectonics - 1/17 Interviewed

Harvard University - EPS - Planetary interiors, geodynamics

Brown University - Geological sciences - Geodynamics, tectonics, also planetary

Columbia University- EES - Geophys, Rifting

University of Chicago- Geophysical Science - Solid earth geophys, tectonics - 2/7 Invited to interview on 2/22, paid flight + accommodations

Northwestern University- EPS - Planetary sciences, solid earth geodynamics - 2/3 Invited to open house on 3/1-3/3

UCLA - Geophys + Space Physics - Tectonics, Geophysics

UCSC- EPS - Planetary interior dynamics

Hola, any paleo people in here?

I'm currently waiting on 2/3 applications in ichnology/vert paleo.

I've applied to

University of Kansas (accepted 2/6)

University of Alberta

Ohio University

Haven't heard anything about funding for KU yet though which adds to the stress.

I know my profile is not very good as u guys, i can hope at least to get admission to a moderate school. I'm extremely worried about that. Everyday seems to me like a month. Every day, every time i come to my PC i check them all, but find nothing. :( Still waiting

Hang in there mate.. The waiting period is extensively difficult.. Hopefully we'll come out unscathed.. And you do have peer reviewed publications, which are valued a lot.. :)

We have 3 universities in common..

San Diego, I'm guessing the results should be out soon..

Yale should've let you know by now I think, their recruitment weekend is this coming one and they usually have phone/skype interviews for international students..I read online that interviews will definitely be conducted for all graduate students shortlisted for admission at Yale..

And Santa Cruz, no clue at all.. :)

I think there's someone else here who's applied (and got admitted) to Rhode Island, so you can maybe check with them..

And I just saw a post on the results survey that said something about Colorado School of Mines..You could check on that as well..

Edited by hope4fall2012

On 2/7/2012 at 11:03 PM, Kholaduniya said:

Thanks hope4fall2012,

I know my profile is not very good. Scripps will kick me out dats for sure. Now i have only choice for UCSC and Indiana Bloomington. Can any guys here tell that wht is the avg GRE and GPA of Indiana and UCSC. I'm sure this year is not for me.

I know that the results survey is extremely 'under-populated' for earth sciences, but you could try the two colleges you mentioned in there.. You never know.. Also, the college websites might have some info in the Prospective Students section (WashU and Gatech are a couple that have such info). I don't know of any other sources where you can get average GPAs and GRE scores (Keep in mind that decisions are not made just based on these numbers).

Hola, any paleo people in here?

I'm currently waiting on 2/3 applications in ichnology/vert paleo.

I've applied to

University of Kansas (accepted 2/6)

University of Alberta

Ohio University

Haven't heard anything about funding for KU yet though which adds to the stress.

I am also vert paleo, but going more for biostratigraphy and chemostratigraphy with it. I applied to more schools then you, and am still waiting to hear back from 5/6 of them.

Congrats on getting into a program though. I hope that you hear about the funding soon!

I am also vert paleo, but going more for biostratigraphy and chemostratigraphy with it. I applied to more schools then you, and am still waiting to hear back from 5/6 of them.

Congrats on getting into a program though. I hope that you hear about the funding soon!

Thanks! I have a few office mates who applied to a few of the programs you applied to! Good luck!