2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Kay, I'm meeting lots of prospective applicants at Yale G&G open house today (around 26 of them came to the event), and have lots of results to report.

Case 1: Female, domestic from Harvard (climate dynamics/ice). Applied to Yale, MIT, Columbia, Washington, UC Berkeley, Caltech (IIRC), Stanford (?) and others. Did not hear back from Columbia or MIT, got into all the rest.

Case 2: Female, Chinese, international from UWashington (climate dynamics) - working with the same professor that I'm closest to, too. Applied to Yale, Princeton, Washington, Caltech, UCLA, MIT, Columbia (IIRC), and others. Got into Princeton, Caltech, and UCLA. Still waiting for Columbia, MIT, and Washington.

Case 3: Male, Chinese, international from Missouri (seismology). Applied to Yale, Stanford, Rice, Washington, and others. Got into Rice, accepted by Washington, and also able to visit Stanford (not totally sure about the situation there though).

Case 4: Male, domestic from Northwestern (something with caves). Applied to Yale, UT-Austin, Colorado School of Mines, and a few others. Has not heard from anyone other than Yale yet.

Yale G&G had 108 total applicants this year, an increase of approximately 46%.

Multiple sources say that Columbia and MIT are generally pretty late when it comes to climate science applicants.

Edited by InquilineKea

Multiple sources say that Columbia and MIT are generally pretty late when it comes to climate science applicants.

I think thats right, at least on the columbia front. That would be in line with what my inside sources say... as they are both in the climate and ocean physics division.

I won't bother filling out everything, but my GPA is fairly average, my GRE scores were decent, and I got excellent LoRs. I will receive my BS in Professional Meteorology from a state school this May!

I applied to SUNY at Albany, University of Hawaii at Manoa, University of Miami RSMAS, North Carolina State University, Florida State University, Colorado State, and Texas A&M.

My number one choice is SUNY at Albany. I had a nice email conversation with a prof. there and I am really interested in her research. Number two would be RSMAS.

My research interests are mainly within tropical meteorology, especially tropical cyclones.

I haven't heard anything back from anywhere. It's making me panic more than I should.

I haven't heard anything back from anywhere. It's making me panic more than I should.

I wouldn't panic yet. Besides the few schools listed above by previous people, most haven't sent out decisions yet. I'm in the same boat as you.

Woohoo, just got my first acceptance! BU offered me $31k guaranteed at least 4 years for phd program in their earth sciences dept! My POI models mantle plumes :D

Also got my official Caltech rejection:

Thank you very much for your application to the graduate program at the California Institute of Technology. After carefully reviewing your application, the faculty has decided that they are unable to grant you admission for academic year 2012 – 13. Caltech is a relatively small school and as such we are able to admit only a small percentage of the thousands of applicants who apply each year. In many cases we are unable to offer admission to highly qualified candidates because of limited space and facilities, or because interests do not match the needs and interests of our faculty.

Your record and qualifications are very good, and we have no doubt of your ability to earn an advanced degree and that you have a successful career ahead of you. We wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Best Regards,

California Institute of Technology (Caltech)

Just wondering - did anyone else get the exact same message? It's obviously a mass-emailed message, but I do wonder if they inserted the last sentence for all applicants, including the ones that were completely unqualified.

Edited by InquilineKea

@ InquilineKea: Yes, this last sentence is in all the rejection letters (a friend got rejected based on her GRE scores and got the same letter). The fact is that Caltech applicants are never completely unqualified as people with "lower" profiles tend to self-censure. Actually, Caltech does not receive a lot of applications if compared to larger departments, but the pool of applicants is of very high standard (source: a prof from GPS, Caltech).

@ LCBucky: Yes, I got in GPS Caltech with a special fellowship (top applicant). Acceptance letters were sent out a few weeks ago. The visit days are March, 1st and 2nd.

I'm applying to CEE programs, Computational Hydraulics specifically, so far here is where I'm at:

Applied: MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, UC Irvine (undergrad institution)

Invited: Caltech (no solid word yet though, visiting the 24th)

Accepted:

Rejected:

Waiting sucks :/

Who is ur POI ?

@NoNO: My prospective advisor is Paul Hall, if you were directing that q at me.

And to everyone else:

I am so jealous of the Columbia/Brown news. I just want a rejection letter already if that's what's coming, haha. It's torture knowing other people are hearing back. I also am curious about my UCSC and UCLA apps. I pretty much know my Harvard app is a bust because I submitted my transcript late. But I want to know about the others even though I think I've got a good chance at getting in from the shortlist at Northwestern/Uchi and I will probably end up at BU anyway.

I'm applying to CEE programs, Computational Hydraulics specifically, so far here is where I'm at:

Applied: MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, Columbia, UC Irvine (undergrad institution)

Invited: Caltech (no solid word yet though, visiting the 24th)

Hi, have you heard any news from Berkeley and MIT? I have also applied to CEE in these two universities. Their deadline are very early, but both I and my friend have heard nothing till now.

Edited by stnt

Hi, have you heard any news from Berkeley and MIT? I have also applied to CEE in these two universities. Their deadline are very early, but both I and my friend have heard nothing till now.

Nothing yet, and a few friends of mine haven't heard from those as well. I'm guessing they'll start rolling in after a week.

Never thought it'd be just as exciting seeing the admissions process from the other end. Congrats all who've been accepted! Do consider sticking around the Earth Sci. forum; it can get pretty lonely here sometimes. :)