Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

• Please log in to reply
710 replies to this topic

#41 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC
  • Program:Columbia BIOM/BME/Biotech

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

Ag! Either neuro is super slow or Columbia and uchicago don't want me. But congrats!

Hey fosgfp, don't worry, it is still early, and you will prob get invitation e-mail tmr.

#42 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

Congrats deundertaker!

And fosgfp I really wouldn't worry based on results from other programs. I saw a result from a micro program at one of my schools posted today, yet the EEB deadline for that school isn't until January!
Neuro might be slow, but I think EEB might be the slowest (but then I think EEB does things differently than most other bio programs).
Considering how fast you got an invite from Northwestern, I can't imagine you wouldn't have more coming up.

It seems that you guys applying to a bunch of schools could end up with multiple interviews, do you think you'd go to them all or would you make some cuts beforehand?

Thanks man, I would go to all interviews and I would take these chances to travel and take a break from school. LOL

#43 hunterbear

hunterbear

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

Can you let us know what they say?

Yep. Definitely!

#44 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Biology, Neuroscience

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

Thanks man, I would go to all interviews and I would take these chances to travel and take a break from school. LOL

Would you really? I am aiming to go to 5 or fewer interviews. One of my friends last year got admitted everywhere (literally-- Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, Berkeley, etc) and cut down to 5 interviews, and still said she was exhausted after. Additionally, my PI doesn't want me gone for that long because of research.

And fosgfp I really wouldn't worry based on results from other programs. I saw a result from a micro program at one of my schools posted today, yet the EEB deadline for that school isn't until January!

Hey fosgfp, don't worry, it is still early, and you will prob get invitation e-mail tmr.

Thanks both of you! It's just nerve wracking to see other people get interviews while you wait :)

#45 eco_env

eco_env

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Program:Ecology

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:37 AM

Congrats deundertaker!

Neuro might be slow, but I think EEB might be the slowest (but then I think EEB does things differently than most other bio programs).
Considering how fast you got an invite from Northwestern, I can't imagine you wouldn't have more coming up.

It seems that you guys applying to a bunch of schools could end up with multiple interviews, do you think you'd go to them all or would you make some cuts beforehand?

UC Berkeley ESPM is really slow-at least for rejections- they don't send them out until April. Lat year, I got my rejection from IU in early Feb/late Jan, along with interview invitations and acceptance at other schools.

#46 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

For an interview at upenn neuro!!! Soooo excited! This is the school that only admitted 16/250 last year! Ah!!!

#47 phillies2301

phillies2301

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

Congrats! That's one of my top picks, did you get e-mail or a call? Seems a lot earlier than what I would expect them to give out interviews

For an interview at upenn neuro!!! Soooo excited! This is the school that only admitted 16/250 last year! Ah!!!

#48 deundertaker

deundertaker

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Congrats!!! Remember what I said yesterday? See there is no reason for you to freak out.

#49 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Congrats! That's one of my top picks, did you get e-mail or a call? Seems a lot earlier than what I would expect them to give out interviews

Email. :) What program are you applying for?

#50 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

Congrats!!! Remember what I said yesterday? See there is no reason for you to freak out.

High self doubt, lol

#51 phillies2301

phillies2301

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Email. :) What program are you applying for?

Applying to NGG also, hopefully I get an e-mail soon!

#52 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

Applying to NGG also, hopefully I get an e-mail soon!

Good luck! The interview dates are Jan 20 and Feb 10, so there's quite a bit of time where they could contact you. Keep us updated!!

#53 Pitangus

Pitangus

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Program:EEB

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

UC Berkeley ESPM is really slow-at least for rejections- they don't send them out until April. Lat year, I got my rejection from IU in early Feb/late Jan, along with interview invitations and acceptance at other schools.

Thanks for the info eco_env! I got a generic email from ESPM after applying that said "admissions decisions will be made between late January and late March," which I read as "sometime next year." :P

Out of curiosity, if you remember, were your interviews for programs that do rotations instead of immediate assignment/acceptance into a lab (assuming you applied to all EEB-type programs)?
IU EEB is the only program I'm applying to that gives the option of rotations during the first year, so I'm wondering if it is the only one that might offer interviews.

#54 eco_env

eco_env

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Program:Ecology

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for the info eco_env! I got a generic email from ESPM after applying that said "admissions decisions will be made between late January and late March," which I read as "sometime next year." :P

Out of curiosity, if you remember, were your interviews for programs that do rotations instead of immediate assignment/acceptance into a lab (assuming you applied to all EEB-type programs)?
IU EEB is the only program I'm applying to that gives the option of rotations during the first year, so I'm wondering if it is the only one that might offer interviews.

No- the other way around. The only school I applied to that had rotations was IU, and they didn't give me an interview- but maybe that's because they rejected my application right away. The school that accepted me doesn't do rotations and accepted me without an interview, but the accepted students event had interviews with potential advisors. The other schools where I had interviews don't do rotations, and the interviews were mostly focused on talking to potential advisors that I expressed interest in earlier.

#55 virion

virion

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

http://thegradcafe.c...y/index.php?t=t

Crazy that someone posted that they got a UVA BIMS interview when today is the application deadline. Maybe they're a UVA student currently? (If you're reading this, fill us in please :) ).

#56 Pitangus

Pitangus

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:33 AM

No- the other way around. The only school I applied to that had rotations was IU, and they didn't give me an interview- but maybe that's because they rejected my application right away. The school that accepted me doesn't do rotations and accepted me without an interview, but the accepted students event had interviews with potential advisors. The other schools where I had interviews don't do rotations, and the interviews were mostly focused on talking to potential advisors that I expressed interest in earlier.

Ah ok, thanks so much for the information. I didn't know whether programs without rotations would hold actual interviews or if some faculty would just informally contact applicants if they wanted to talk to them.
So it seems that it still varies from school to school - not that I really mind either way, I've just been wondering since there aren't that many EEB people around anywhere to really get a feel for what to expect!

#57 wwellington

wwellington

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

I didn't know whether programs without rotations would hold actual interviews or if some faculty would just informally contact applicants if they wanted to talk to them.

Even if EEB programs don't have traditional interviews, a lot seem to have recruiting weekends where they bring applicants out for a couple days to meet faculty and current students and let everyone get a feel for one another. At my school, some of the applicants brought out for the weekend have already been admitted (if they've been offered a university/college fellowship of some sort) and some haven't.

#58 jroac001

jroac001

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI
  • Program:neuroscience

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Congrats to those with interviews already

I got a my first call from Michigan's neuroscience program this morning.

#59 Pitangus

Pitangus

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

Even if EEB programs don't have traditional interviews, a lot seem to have recruiting weekends where they bring applicants out for a couple days to meet faculty and current students and let everyone get a feel for one another. At my school, some of the applicants brought out for the weekend have already been admitted (if they've been offered a university/college fellowship of some sort) and some haven't.

Also good to know, thank you wwellington! I like the sound of a "recruiting weekend," it sounds less stressful than an interview (and is probably even less so if you've already been accepted!)

For now I'll just have to let it be and see what comes along...

#60 fosgfp

fosgfp

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

A friend heard from Cornell development today

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users