2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Is it that nobody here has applied to CUNY's PhD in biology, or they are so slow making decisions. I received an acceptance from KU Rehabilitation Science PhD and need to decide =(

i applied and haven't heard back either

@ Souparno

I have got offer of admission from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) - School of Medicine.

Can u pls help me in comparing IUPUI and VCU?

Thanks

I have no idea about VCU but I have a feeling that you would better go to IUPUI..but honestly I have not heard anything about VCU..so I am not the ideal person to make that comparision.

Hi...

I am new here but wanted to give my stats as a sub 3.0 undergrad

Undergrad- Chemistry 2.7 overall, 3.0 in sciences

Masters GPA =3.6 Biology

GRE-V=158 ,Q=155 writing =4.5

Work experience- 3 years as a teaching assistant/tutor both at undergraduate and graduate level, professional work experience in the chemical environment working as a lab manager

Research conducted at both undergrad and grad levels- working on a paper for grad level

Applied to all Ph.D.

UIC-GEMS=Pharmacology, UCincinnati- Pathology, U of Louisville- IGPBM- Pharmacology, Rosalin Franklin- Pharmacology, Purdue- PULSE program, NIU- Biochem, IIT- Biochem, Rush- Pharmacology

Results

UIC, NIU- waitlisted

Rejected from UCincinnati, Purdue, RF and probably Rush( havent heard boo word back from them)

Accepted to IIT for a second masters( declined), U of Louisville Ph.D fully funded and accepted

I am still hoping for UIC so i wont have to move, but frankly a change would do me good ( love the Sheryl Crow song)

I think what helped me was taking a break after undergrad to work and really get my priorities in order then returning to a mid institution to get a masters and show what i can handle. I also think not getting overly adventurous with where i was applying given my undergrad issues helped me a lot to gain acceptance to a good(in my opinion) school. While I am doing well in my MS program, when i interviewed i still had to account for issues in my past. I think it is best to acknowledge them and move forward and show who you are now is not who you were before. My next step is to move up a realm for the post-doc to a UChicago or Rush or something like that. For me the journey has been taking baby steps to where i want to be and it has worked for me thus far.

Happy Acceptance Times

Pp1

Don't wanna post a full profile cause I'm lazy and I already did it on another site that most people are probably familiar with, but I've just accepted my offer for UPenn's CAMB program. Good luck everyone else still working on a decision!

Don't wanna post a full profile cause I'm lazy and I already did it on another site that most people are probably familiar with, but I've just accepted my offer for UPenn's CAMB program. Good luck everyone else still working on a decision!

Which site if you don't mind (don't need to link your profile, but interested in the site)

• 2 weeks later...

Its after the 15th of April, you didn't get in man. Sorry.

Hi,

does anybody have any idea about University of houston, Texas?

I have applied for PhD programme at department of biology and biochemistry.

please let me know.

Not necessarily. I just got an email today from a school today inviting me for an interview. It was the first time that I had heard from them since I applied. I had to decline because I had already accepted an offer months ago. Most likely I was on some sort of hidden wait list. However, this isn't likely so I wouldn't hold too much hope for it. It is probably a rejection. Still, just email the department and ask about the status of your application. At least then you will know for sure.

Edited by JSmoove

I have no idea about VCU but I have a feeling that you would better go to IUPUI..but honestly I have not heard anything about VCU..so I am not the ideal person to make that comparision.

I am attending VCU for Neuro. They are very well respected in glial and head trauma research.

Here is my situationa also

low undergraduate GPA, but decent graduate GPA;

my undergraduate GPA is 2.92 in microbiology from UC Davis.

My MS is in Biology from SFSU with GPA of 3.46.

GRE score : Verbal (590): Quantitative(680). Writing: 3.5

I have 10 years of research experiences both in academia and industry.

My SOP is geared toward my research experience. Applied to all PhD programs. Accepte into two Phd programs. Had to decline one (WSU). Plan to attend UCR in the Fall 2012. So who say you cannot overcome a low undergrad GPA?

Hi,

does anybody have any idea about University of houston, Texas?

I have applied for PhD programme at department of biology and biochemistry.

please let me know.

I applied to a school to which I was accepted, but my POI might not be doing the project we had spoken of, but they keep the file open very late to basically see if there are any takers or if my guy secures the funding for the project. I only know this because I called them, they never contacted me at all. So could be something like that.

• 3 weeks later...