Type of Student: International, male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 800, 94%

V: 670, 95%

W: 5.0, 84%

TOEFL Total: 115

Research Experience: None

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Entrepreneurship - Founded startup company that quite a few regional awards in its 1 year of existence. But the company works in another field entirely, not related to my academic major in any way.

Applying to Where:

Stanford University - M.S Aeronautics and Astronautics - Astrodynamics & Space Systems Design

Georgia Insitute of Technology - M.S Aerospace Engineering - Astrodynamics & Space Systems Design

Purdue University - M.S Aeronautics and Astronautics - Astrodynamics & Space Systems Design (Received an admit already)

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University - M.S Aerospace Engineering - Astrodynamics & Space Systems Design

University of Florida - Gainsville - M.S Aerospace Engineering - Astrodynamics & Space Systems Design

TU Delft, The Netherlands - M.Sc Aerospace Engineering - Astrodynamics & Space Systems Design

Arizona State University - School of Earth and Space Exploration - PhD Exploration Systems Design

Undergrad Institution: University,Top 40 nationally, higher in engineering/technical disciplines

Major(s): Physics

Minor(s): None (should have had a math minor)

GPA in Major: 3.87

Overall GPA: 3.82

Length of Degree: 4 years

Position in Class: Near top

Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version): revised

Q: 169 (98%)

V: 157 (77%)

W: 4.5 (72%)

Research Experience: 1 REU at the University of Rochester in Optics, 1 NUF Fellowship at General Atomics in Fusion/Plasma Physics, 1 year of research during classes studying Graphene. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for graduate work, so I spent my summers trying different kinds of research, and also did some work at my university during the school year. My work with graphene will be my senior thesis, it may result in a publication.

I presented my work from General Atomics at an APS conference. My name will be/is on a couple of papers.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List almost every semester, merit schoolarship from school.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Graded for 3 semesters for intro physics classes.

Applying to Where:

MIT - Nuclear Engineering - PhD - Pending

UC Berkeley - Nuclear Engineering - PhD - Pending

Uni. of Wisconsin - Nuclear Engineering - PhD - Admitted (No word on financial aid yet)

THE Ohio State University - Nuclear Engineering - PhD - Admitted (No word on financial aid yet)

Edited by PhysGuy

Undergrad Institution: Purdue University

Major(s): Aerospace Engineering

Minor(s): Mathematics

GPA in Major: 3.70

Overall GPA: 3.76

Position in Class: top 15%

Type of Student: Minority

Q: 780 (89%)

V: 550 (75%)

W: 4.0 (45%)

TOEFL Total: 113

Research Experience:

Composite Materials Lab, Purdue University (3 months)

Zucrow Propulsion Lab, Purdue University (3 months)

Zucrow Propulsion Lab, Purdue University (5 months)

Plasmadynamics and Electric Propulsion Lab, University of Michigan (3 months)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List, Semester Honors, Some Scholarships.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 3 Co-op rotations at GE Aviation

Applying to Where:

Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Aerospace Engineering

California Institute of Technology - Aerospace Engineering

Stanford University - Aerospace Engineering - Accepted

Georgia Institute of Technology - Aerospace Engineering (Emailed for possible RA position, no official acceptance)

University of Michigan - Aerospace Engineering

Edited by racolon

Do you have any ideas when should we be expecting an acceptance decision from Berkeley Engineering?

Sorta wondering the same thing myself. I've heard back from two schools so far, and one of them got back to me within three weeks! I'm still waiting on MIT and Berkeley though. Anyone have any experience as to how long it took to get decisions from past years?

I don't know about Berkeley, but I know a couple of people that got into MIT last year and they found on the last week of February. It's going to vary by department, though.

Edited by puertorrob

I don't know about Berkeley, but I know a couple of people that got into MIT last year and they found on the last week of February. It's going to vary by department, though.

What department were they applying to?

Just FYI. A friend of mine got her acceptance for Berkeley yesterday. She applied for Civil Engineering.

@puertorrob, do you know if your friend is Berkeley MS Structural? I applied there too, but nothing so far... Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: University of New South Wales, Australia

Major(s): Manufacturing Engineering and Management (Hon 1)

Minor(s): N/A

GPA in Major: 80.179

Overall GPA: 77.06

Length of Degree: 4 into 5 years

Position in Class: 1st

Type of Student: Australian International

Q: 770

V: 550

W: 4.5

Research Experience:

Travelled to India for 1st US-Asian Demonstration of MAV and UGV Technology. (Co-authored conference paper)

Will travel to Berkeley this year to present a paper on my honors research project "Energy-efficiency of Manufacturing Processes". (First author)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Graham Painton Prize for Cost-effective Manufacturing,

R&R award from my employer,

Best UGV Award in India,

$25k Grand Prize winner in Staples' Inaugural Ecoeasy Challenge (travelled to NY as a part of this competition).

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

Head tutor of Design and Manufacturing course at UNSW for 3 years running.

Manufacturing Engineer at Leading Biomedical Firm based in Sydney for 3 months full-time, 10 months part-time with last year of uni.

As mentioned, two overseas trips fully sponsored by R&D based projects. A third with a trip to Berkeley in May.

Special Bonus Points:

I actually visited the MIT MEngM program in December to attend classes and meet current students. Had an interview with program director. (20,000 mile round trip!! :o)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

In Australia, marks are pure marks. No scaling, no adjustment, no reclassification. I'm worried with a 77 WAM since it only converts to 3.3 GPA max. :-( Also failed one of my Gen-Ed courses :-(

Applying to Where:

Purdue - ISE - MS (Industrial)

Stanford - Management Science and Engineering - MS (MSE)

Virginia Tech - ISE - MS (Industrial)

MIT - MechE - MEngM (Manufacturing)

Michigan - ISE - MEng (Manufacturing)

UC Berkeley - Mechanical - MEng (Manufacturing)

Cornell - Mechanical and Aerospace - MEng (Manufacturing)

GaTech - ISE - MS (Manufacturing)

USC - Mechanical - MS (Manufacturing)

Texas A&M - ISE - MS (Industrial)

So, what do you guys think?? I'm quietly hopeful, praying for the best iA :-P

Undergrad Institution: UC Irvine

Major(s): Civil Engineering

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.65

Overall GPA: 3.62

Length of Degree: 5

Position in Class: Top 10-15%

Type of Student: Domestic, male

Q: 800 (94%)

V: 670 (94%)

W: 4.0 (48%)

Research Experience: Computation Hydraulics Group, 1.5 years -- urban flood inundation modeling, dam-breach modeling, ecological services for improvement of open channel hydraulic systems

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: SURP Fellow, Dean's List, Honors society (TBP and XE)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research assistant

Applying to Where:

Caltech - MCE - Computational Geomechanics - INVITED TO VISIT

MIT - CEE - Computational Hydraulics

Stanford - CEE

Berkeley - CEE

Columbia - CEE

UC Irvine - CEE - Computational Hydraulics

Edited by nanoman1

Wow, it's embarrassing how outclassed I am here.

But, I haven't got any replies yet and I know a lot of you have been in my situation (or still are). So here goes:

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 Engineering school from India

Major(s): Mechanical Engineering

GPA in Major: 3.1/4.0

Length of Degree: 5 years

Type of Student: International Asian

GRE Scores (old version):

Q:800 (94%)

V:760 (99%)

W:4.5 (72%)

TOEFL (IBT) : 117

Research Experience: 1 Summer (3 months) in Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore; 2 summers (5 months) research collaboration with a prof from the University of Minnesota (Twin cities); Senior year research project. (Co-authored one paper which has been submitted for review, not yet published)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 1 national level scholarship in 10th grade. (A long time ago, I know!)

Recommendations : 2 - from relatively unknown profs in my school, 1 - from the prof at the U of M

Applied to:

Departments of Mech Engg in

Minnesota (Twin cities) for a PhD (I don't think the prof I worked with has funding yet, so he hasn't confirmed my admission. I'm hoping for a Master's at least)

Northwestern [MS/PhD]

CMU [MS]

UPenn [MS]

Illinois Tech [MS/PhD]

Wisconsin [MS]

NCSU [MS]

I don't think I have any safes in there yet, so I'm planning to send out a couple more in before March. I'm looking for safe schools that would be relatively inexpensive in case I don't land any aid. Suggestions?

Undergrad Institution: UC Irvine

Major(s): Civil Engineering

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.65

Overall GPA: 3.62

Length of Degree: 5

Position in Class: Top 10-15%

V: 670 (94%)

W: 4.0 (48%)

Research Experience: Computation Hydraulics Group, 1.5 years -- urban flood inundation modeling, dam-breach modeling, ecological services for improvement of open channel hydraulic systems

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: SURP Fellow, Dean's List, Honors society (TBP and XE)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research assistant

Applying to Where:

Caltech - MCE - Computational Geomechanics - INVITED TO VISIT

MIT - CEE - Computational Hydraulics

Stanford - CEE

Berkeley - CEE

Columbia - CEE

UC Irvine - CEE - Computational Hydraulics

Congrats on the Caltech man! You have great stas. I hope you get a good offer!

You are going for Prof. Andrade's group right?

Haha... and I thought I had a chance at it!! I guess I should assume Caltech as a reject.

I do feel rather overwhelmed by the amount of really good applicants here, and I do realize that I am aiming high. However, I really would like to keep aiming high, because I'm finding that, in doing so, I am forced to think hard about how to improve myself as a researcher, professional, student, and teacher.

Undergrad Institution: Embry-Riddle

GPA in Major: 3.57/4.0 (I feel this is my weak spot)

Type of Student: White Male Domestic, USA

V:630 (91%)

W:5.5 (94%)

TOEFL (IBT) : N/A

Research Experience: 1 Semester at UG institution researching gravitational waves. 1 Summer and 1 Semester at current institution (ongoing) researching biophysics, nanophotonics. 1 year at UG for senior design project, which surely counts as research, given the NASA involvement. (I feel this section is another weak spot I'm trying to improve on)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarship for UG institution, Dean's list

Related Experience: Tutoring mathematics, phyiscs, engineering here for over a year, 1 summer working under a missile defense government contract doing classified work

Recommendations : 5 - Professor from UG institution, CEO of small aerospace startup who used to supervise me and several others in missile defense, research adviser from most recent research, adviser for my tutoring program, professor for some of the classes I've taken here

Applied to:

Aerospace or Aero/Astro Masters (with intent on pursuing a Ph.D.) for:

MIT

Stanford (Rejected)

Georgia Tech

Caltech

This is my second round of applications. I'm thinking hard about what I can do for the third round. These institutions are the ones that excite me the most. Georgia's research, in particular, seems most interesting to me. I don't really know what they're looking for, other than "generally better" but I'm doing all I can to rack up more experience in research, and keeping grades up at this institution taking relevant classes to the research I am doing. I'd love some advice along the lines of how to improve, if anyone has any! I am somewhat aware of just how fierce the competition is.

Edited by GradHooting

I do feel rather overwhelmed by the amount of really good applicants here, and I do realize that I am aiming high. However, I really would like to keep aiming high, because I'm finding that, in doing so, I am forced to think hard about how to improve myself as a researcher, professional, student, and teacher.

Undergrad Institution: Embry-Riddle

GPA in Major: 3.57/4.0 (I feel this is my weak spot)

Type of Student: White Male Domestic, USA

V:630 (91%)

W:5.5 (94%)

TOEFL (IBT) : N/A

Research Experience: 1 Semester at UG institution researching gravitational waves. 1 Summer and 1 Semester at current institution (ongoing) researching biophysics, nanophotonics. 1 year at UG for senior design project, which surely counts as research, given the NASA involvement. (I feel this section is another weak spot I'm trying to improve on)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarship for UG institution, Dean's list

Related Experience: Tutoring mathematics, phyiscs, engineering here for over a year, 1 summer working under a missile defense government contract doing classified work

Recommendations : 5 - Professor from UG institution, CEO of small aerospace startup who used to supervise me and several others in missile defense, research adviser from most recent research, adviser for my tutoring program, professor for some of the classes I've taken here

Applied to:

Aerospace or Aero/Astro Masters (with intent on pursuing a Ph.D.) for:

MIT

Stanford (Rejected)

Georgia Tech

Caltech

This is my second round of applications. I'm thinking hard about what I can do for the third round. These institutions are the ones that excite me the most. Georgia's research, in particular, seems most interesting to me. I don't really know what they're looking for, other than "generally better" but I'm doing all I can to rack up more experience in research, and keeping grades up at this institution taking relevant classes to the research I am doing. I'd love some advice along the lines of how to improve, if anyone has any! I am somewhat aware of just how fierce the competition is.

I feel like letters of recommendation are extremely important and MAYBE your references are not very recognized in their field. For example, most of my references are world leaders in the fields of aircraft and spacecraft propulsion and they know people at most if not all universities that I applied to. Coming from embry-ridle (which is mainly an undergraduate institution), it will be hard to get those types of references. A lot of the people that apply to the schools that you mentioned have excellent GPAs, GREs, and research experience. It is your SoP and letters of recommendation which are going to set you apart.

I feel like letters of recommendation are extremely important and MAYBE your references are not very recognized in their field. For example, most of my references are world leaders in the fields of aircraft and spacecraft propulsion and they know people at most if not all universities that I applied to. Coming from embry-ridle (which is mainly an undergraduate institution), it will be hard to get those types of references. A lot of the people that apply to the schools that you mentioned have excellent GPAs, GREs, and research experience. It is your SoP and letters of recommendation which are going to set you apart.

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a rut, at the moment, as I am stuck in a place not known for aerospace, and it's what I want to do. I had no knowledge of the graduate application process until after graduating from undergrad. I had no idea what they were looking for. My friend from ERAU managed to get a full scholarship to Aero/Astro just fine, with no research experience at all. So, I'm guessing there is a bit of randomness going on. I'll keep trying to establish connections, however.

Congrats on the Caltech man! You have great stas. I hope you get a good offer!

You are going for Prof. Andrade's group right?

Haha... and I thought I had a chance at it!! I guess I should assume Caltech as a reject.

Thanks! I was really surprised Prof. Andrade actually called me up. Most my research has been open channel work / surface flow. So the Geomechanics group (which I applied to because I've always had a massive curiosity for subsurface mechanics, and the group at Caltech is doing some really incredible stuff) was a big surprise to hear back from. Should be a really exciting visit...but it's no guarantee of admission I'm sure. And don't lose hope, I'm sure as a mechanical applicant to the group you'd add some flavor!

I would like to start by saying these type of chats are really interesting especially the physics and math ones. Hopefully, the engineering one becomes booming like that soon. Also, I would like to write small details about mine if it is interesting

Undergrad Institution: Small Midwest Liberal Arts School, known regionally and pretty good in engineering to my surprise

Minor(s): Engineering Management, Mathematics (Just added the math one my final semester because I had time)

GPA in Major: 3.944 (got my first B+ in an engineering subject in my senior design class because of a bad team)

Overall GPA: 3.817 (had C average in the two freshman year seminar classes...its a bunch of BS anyway)

Position in Class: either 1st or 2nd (the girl doesnt speak of her gpa...haha)

Type of Student: International male

GRE Scores (old version): BTW the GRE is just an annoying exam I had to prepare for while working full time at an engineering firm

Q: 800 (94%) expected it going in but didnt after taking the test but thank God it happened

V: 370 (26%) I memorized a lot of frequent words from Barrons, only 3 came out...hahaha my luck right

W: 3.5 (27%) expected a 4 cuz I did not prepare for this section and I thought I nailed one of the essays down

TOEFL Total: graduating from the US so it would be waived...hopefully...haha

Research Experience: not really. My senior project is on study of vortex shedding frequency of a wind turbine blade. I am in charge of the experimental part using a suction type wind tunnel to test it. Wrote all the LabVIEW programs, designed the experiment. Also perfoming modal analysis on the blade model to compare my results to the natural blade frequency

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list every semester...kinda cool I thought....in various honor societies...nothing overly special

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: well I am working part time at Dana Holding Corporation after my full time job during the summer...not research related obviously

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Not sure

Special Bonus Points: One of my recommender graduated from MIT and Michigan and gave me a stellar LOR (He is quite famous and studied witha professor at Clemson) Also, another one is the Dean of the engineering department and knows me quite well (school is quite small so no biggie....besides I am the only black guy in the graduating mechanical engineering department....hahaha). All the rest were great LOR apart from my academic advisor who wrote one for Michigan (that may just kill my application there...ow well). Had a decent SOP that reflects my interest a little.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I m 20. I am from Nigeria ...just wanted to say that somewhere...hahaha. Taking a percussion class because I want to learn to play the drums...dont judge me...hahaha. Also not a lot of tough classes this final semester. I have already taking Combustion which is done only in graduate school..I think...haha.

Applying to Where:

All PhD positions in mechanical engineering except for MIT and Stanford because they do not accept direct entry into the PhD programs. Research interest are in Thermodynamics (Energy Conversion..more or less), Combustion, Fluid mechanics and heat transfer

MIT

Stanford

Caltech

CMU

UTexas

Michigan

Rice

Cornell

Princeton - Rejected via email (Feb 16th)

Georgia Tech

Clemson(my only safety)- Accepted (no funding yet) (Jan 2nd on the site)

Hope this is good for everyone and yeah...GOODLUCK to everyone and I hope you get to the grad school of your choice

For posterity's sake:

Undergrad Institution: Decent EE Institution in America

Major: Electrical Engineering

Minor: Math

GPA in Major: 4.0/4.0

GPA in Minor: 4.0/4.0

GPA overall: 3.89/4.0

Note: Heavily overloaded course schedule with many grad-level classes

Position in Class: Summa Cum Laude (although no position information)

GRE Scores: V: 160 Q: 166 A: 4.5

Area: Information Theory / Communications

Recommendations: Excellent recs from known profs in my field

Research Experience:

1.5 year in radar and atmospheric physics

1 year in bio-imaging

1 journal publication

Work Experience: 1 summer internship and 1 year in a full time position, both at respectable places.

Awards: Full scholarship senior year, top senior design project, summer research award, Tau Beta Pi, Dean's list every semester

Extra-Curriculars: President of the Chess Club

Applied: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, Caltech (all for EE PhD, MIT area 1)

Accepted: MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton

Waiting On: Caltech

Edited by TheDuderino

Undergrad Institution: Private School

Major(s): Biomedical Engineering

Minor(s): Math and Management Studies

GPA in Major:

Overall GPA:3.788/4.0

Length of Degree: 5 years

Position in Class: 5%

Type of Student: Domestic female

Q:720

V:560

W:4.0

P:

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: I participated in two NSF REU programs at UVA and Case Western as well as performed 2 years of research at another university

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Deans List, Honors Program, Goldwater nominee

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Calculus tutor and grader

Special Bonus Points: great recs

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

All of the below in Biomedical Engineering

Duke

UFL

UMich

USC

Caltech

JHU

Northwestern

Undergrad Institution: MIT

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 4.7/5.0

Overall GPA: 4.6/5.0

Length of Degree: 4

Position in Class: Unsure

Grad Institution: Stanford

Major(s): Mechanical Engineering, Design

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.7/4.0

Overall GPA: 3.7/4.0

Length of Degree: 2

Position in Class: Unsure

V: 610 (87%)

W: 4.5 (76%)

Research Experience:

0.5 years: non-cleanroom nanopositioner fabrication (thesis, led to 2 pubs)

1 year: impact attenuation for re-entering spacecraft

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Academic all-conference soccer team, 2 years

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: spent half a year interning at various aerospace companies

Applying to Where:

Caltech

MIT

Harvard - ACCEPTED

UCLA - ACCEPTED

USC