Interview invitation for grad school

rmakins

I’m applying to a number of Neuroscience Ph.D. programs. Some of the applications were submitted on Dec 1st, and I still have a few more going out on Dec 15th. When can I expect to hear back on whether or not I have been invited for an interview?

Results survey seems to indicate most programs get back between 6-25 January for the main tide. There are a few outliers on either side, of course, but I'd say December and February results are likely to be anomalous.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for Cog Sci / Psych / Neuro-y programs in 2008, and got interview invites starting Jan 2 or something (and I applied to a ton of schools, like 15).

I am applying as a transfer student this year to Cog Psych / Cog Sci programs and haven't heard back from anywhere. Anyone hear from the following?:

Cornell Psych / Cornell Neuro (at Weill Med School)

UCSD Cog Sci

Tufts Psych

UC Boulder Psych

BC Psych

NYU Psych

WashU in St. Louis Psych

Would love to hear if places are spreading the word yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i have applied to five Neruoscience PhD programs,.. i just wanted to know if i had any chances of gettin in .. my current g.p.a is 3.7 and my cumulative g.pa is 3.4 i have been a part of two research projects and have 6 months experience in the research labs .My gre is on the low side 149 V 149 Q 3.5 a.w .Its 7th jan and i havent heard from any universities i applied to yet except emory telling me that my name isnt there in the inerview list :S.Kindly help me out.

On 12/24/2011 at 5:07 PM, chatterbox said:

I applied for Cog Sci / Psych / Neuro-y programs in 2008, and got interview invites starting Jan 2 or something (and I applied to a ton of schools, like 15).

I am applying as a transfer student this year to Cog Psych / Cog Sci programs and haven't heard back from anywhere. Anyone hear from the following?:

Cornell Psych / Cornell Neuro (at Weill Med School)

UCSD Cog Sci

Tufts Psych

UC Boulder Psych

BC Psych

NYU Psych

WashU in St. Louis Psych

Would love to hear if places are spreading the word yet :)

I heard from Tufts Neuroscience yesterday by phone about my interview!

You likely have a chance - where did you apply?

You might want to gain more experience though, 6 months is barely enPugh time to know where reagents are in a lab ;) good luck!

Hi i have applied to five Neruoscience PhD programs,.. i just wanted to know if i had any chances of gettin in .. my current g.p.a is 3.7 and my cumulative g.pa is 3.4 i have been a part of two research projects and have 6 months experience in the research labs .My gre is on the low side 149 V 149 Q 3.5 a.w .Its 7th jan and i havent heard from any universities i applied to yet except emory telling me that my name isnt there in the inerview list :S.Kindly help me out.

@Samreen -- Sorry, but you might not have much of a chance. Even for American students, the competition is intense. Most people will have more research experience and your GRE Q seems quite low. You might need to start thinking of how you can strengthen your record before submitting another round of applications. Funding here is getting pretty tight, so I'd imagine admission is going to keep getting ever more competitive. As an international applicant, you really need to stand out from the crowd somehow.

Results survey seems to indicate most programs get back between 6-25 January for the main tide. There are a few outliers on either side, of course, but I'd say December and February results are likely to be anomalous.

Seems obvious to check, but I was going out of my mind until this.

Just got my first official interview invitation today (UVA Biomedical Sciences, Neuro specialty). One of my labmates got 2 interview invites starting around Dec 16th. I'm thinking I should hear about more invites soon, but I applied to mostly top schools, and I'm sure I'm not in their top choice candidates, so I may be in the second wave of invites, if I get them.

Good luck!

@George2248: My guess is that for MS/MA students, interviews are not required at most programs (this is even true for certain PhD programs in the sciences, and even a few in my field, Cognitive Science/Psychology, where nearly everywhere interviews). But I don't have any firsthand experience as to how that works.

For anyone curious about psychology programs this interview season, when I got an email saying my app was complete at WashU, they said they'd send out their first round of interview invites during the third week of January (should I be receiving an invite; unfortunately, takes forever to hear back if it's a no, usually).

I also just heard back from UCSD's Cog Sci program with an "unofficial" interview invite (official invites going out soon) a few days ago. Wtg UCSD for being so early and giving some applicants peace of mind!

@George2248

I am applying for M.A in Mental Health Counseling and have found that it is about 50/50 with regards to interviews. About half of my prospective schools require some type of interview (phone/skype/in-person) and half don't...

Graduate schools typically take several weeks or longer to invite candidates to interviews after the application deadline. So, for example, if you submitted an applications at the end of December you would expect to learn about interview decisions in January or February. In some cases, schools may notify candidates later. Most American universities adhere to the Council of Graduate Schools' resolution that stipulates that applicants must have until April 15 to consider offers. Theoretically speaking, then, it's possible for schools to interview candidates up until then, although in practice schools finalize their incoming class much earlier. Good luck with your interviews! To learn more about applying to graduate school, visit GradSchoolHeaven.com.

Well i applied to Rockefeller neuro, WashU neuro, Emory, baylor college of medicine and USC neuro programs,.. have these universities sent their interview or acceptance emails?. Is it so that due to heavy amount of applicants some might not be informed about the decisions.

@SamreenF, I think the way it typically goes is that schools do notify everyone eventually, but you won't be notified if with a rejection letter until much later in the game (typically late Feb/March, I believe). Different schools probably have different ways of doing it, but I think that often, even with interviews, there are a few "rounds" of decisions such that top candidates are asked to interview first, followed possibly by other candidates that the school is interested in (but maybe aren't as sure a bet).

I didn't apply to any of those programs, but I did apply to WashU Psych (maybe same dept.?) and haven't heard back yet (except for them to say that they were sending out invitations around the third week of January, so if I was getting an interview I likely would have heard something by now).

I've also heard back from Cornell with an acceptance, which I was shocked to find out about so early but is fantastic news.

Well thanks for the reply i did hear back from WashU and it was a rejection email,.. now there are 3 more to go as i un officially heard from emory that i havent been selected for the interview.

And congrats on getting into Cornell.!!!

My daughter sent in 5 applications for PhD programs in Microbiology in January. She getting was very nervous, but has had 3 invitations to interview during the past week. One of those is from Baylor College of Medicine, Dept. of Molecular Virology and Microbiology. They are flying her to Houston on Thursday, Feb. 9th for a three day visit. She had a 3.26 GPA, but lots of research experience and great LORs. GRE was 159/161/4.5. I think that if you can write compelling essays, have good recommendations, and demonstrate that you have actually done valid research, you still have a chance, even late in the game. Good luck to all of you.