How does the percentage of disillusioned grad students vary from field to field?

InquilineKea

In particular, I've found it interesting how so many biological science and chemistry students are so disillusioned, while most geological science/atmospheric science/astronomy students seem so much happier.

Define 'disillusioned'. Didn't get what they bargained for? Could be due to a number of factors, as mentioned.

How are these fields characterized? I've heard that the biological sciences in particular are quite cutthroat, which can be draining for the people who are in it for the science and are not naturally competitive people. (This is hearsay, obviously.)

I'd say, simply in conjecture, that the humanities have a large portion of disillusioned grad students, if only because the job prospects are so bleak.

(This is coming from someone eager to enter graduate school in the humanities.) ^_^

Edited by Two Espressos

I'd say, simply in conjecture, that the humanities have a large portion of disillusioned grad students, if only because the job prospects are so bleak.

(This is coming from someone eager to enter graduate school in the humanities.) ^_^

Wow, I was really about type something very similar. :D

It's so unfortunate how going into the humanities now and expecting a tenure-track position is considered a pipe dream. So yes, I believe that the humanities contain a whole lot of disillusioned individuals, myself included.

However:

The only reason I'm still applying to schools for an MA in English is because of the amount of backup plans I have. My rationale is this: if I'm committing to getting a tenure-track teaching job, one that's DEFINITELY not promised, then I should have a plethora of backup plans to fall back on. B)

most geological science/atmospheric science/astronomy students seem so much happier.

What an interesting generalization. During my M.S. in a geology program, I knew about 6-7 people firsthand who either didn't finish or were extremely negative the entire time. Do I extrapolate this very limited experience to make an over-arching statement such as "grad students in the geosciences are miserable"...as you have done?

In my class of 47 only one is leaving the program to work full time in the field (international development), there might be someone else who is considering switching to another program...but other than that we're all pretty happy. I think professional programs might be a little different, we all have some type of experience already and know this is the field for us.