Going to grad school in Fall '12, need a job now though (Part 2)

michigan girl

I'm getting a job as a cab driver in San Francisco!

Some of the neatest people I've encountered are SF cab drivers...a surprising number of writers and musicians have chariotted my tipsy self home on a Friday night.

Reading this I am really glad I kept my part time job working at a hotel through my BA and MA. Luckily, I have experience so I have never had a problem being hired for the front desk. I know most of the hotels I have worked for are usually looking for housekeepers (who are citizens). They get paid per room, so once you get fast, you can make some money. Not something long-term, but if you need money it works.

• 2 weeks later...

As the OP, I have good news: Just when I was about to give up on the job search, I received a call from someone, who forwarded my application to my previous supervisor's supervisor. She was looking for someone to complete an evaluation project by this summer, and thought I would be the right candidate for the position! So, I am earning a good wage and working on an topic that is related to my second master's degree this fall!!

Although I could say "God Is Good!", the moral of the story is don't give up! You never know what life has in store for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I know I'm coming late to this forum and I hope you all have found jobs, but in case you haven't (or will be in this situation soon) I have found temping to be wonderful. I graduated in December and needed a job from December to August. I signed up with a couple of local temp agencies and I couldn't be happier. I am getting to explore different industries and job types while earning office experience and making $13 dollars an hour. Now for those already with a masters that dollar amount is not ideal. Luckily I live in a low cost area (Oklahoma) and it covers everything well (not luxury but ok living). I love experiencing different jobs and companies, and the office experience will really help when applying for jobs after grad school. Also, an unforseen benefit is the ease with which I am able to visit potential grad schools. Because I am temp employee, I can either not take jobs for the days I have visits planned or in a long term assignment (I'm currently covering for a lady on maternity leave) I'm free to take days off without having to worry about using vacation days or losing my job. I'm sure its not for everyone and I don't how the pay would suffice in more expensive cities (like LA or NY) but its definitely worth considering.