The Ohio State University

girlseekingphd

• 3 weeks later...

I put all my eggs in Ohio State's basket this year...haven't heard anything yet though. Regardless of whether I get in, though, I'll be in Columbus this summer. Starting to do the whole relocating thing...looking at houses, throwing out all the crap I didn't throw out when I moved from Maryland to California two years ago, checkin' out Columbus, getting my fianc

I might be attending for Classics and I'll be visiting Columbus soon, which should help my decision. I'm nervous as hell though! I'll be straight out of undergrad and into the MA/PhD fire, so to speak. Best of luck to everyone still waiting on their acceptances.

People who plan to visit Columbus, could you please come back here and share your experiences with us? I received an email today which implied that I would most probably get funds from a prof's grants for the first year which will then be followed by a few years of departmental fellowship support. Does anybody know the stipend amount that Psych grad students receive?

People who plan to visit Columbus, could you please come back here and share your experiences with us? I received an email today which implied that I would most probably get funds from a prof's grants for the first year which will then be followed by a few years of departmental fellowship support. Does anybody know the stipend amount that Psych grad students receive?

I'll be visiting within the next few weeks, and I'll be sure to let you know my impressions of the area and the school.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any English students who will be attending the April 3rd open house? I will most likely be arriving the night of the 2nd and leaving the evening of the 4th if someone is interested in getting together to see the sights.

Alright, so I've had a chance to visit OSU and Columbus, and here are some of my initial impressions:

The graduate students in my department seemed happy and cooperative, and had good relationships with the faculty. I can't say if this attitude extends to all departments, but it's a good sign in any case. The campus itself is beautiful, very large and, for lack of a better word, "grand." A bus system runs through campus and the surrounding areas, which the students assured me runs on time and effectively. Columbus looks like a large suburban sprawl with OSU and the surrounding OSU-affiliated shops, bars, and restaurants at its center. The main street that runs alongside campus, High Street, contains shops ranging from your typical bookstores, eateries, and bars, to upscale restaurants and clubs as it nears downtown Columbus.

Overall, my initial impression was good. If you have any questions about the view from a potential grad student, please let me know.

I got accepted finally :) with a five year departmental fellowship (combination of TA and RA). Don't have information about the amount yet. If other people in the cognitive psychology area who have been awarded the same fellowship (departmental fellowship), please do PM me the amount that has been offered. Thanks!

I got accepted finally :) with a five year departmental fellowship (combination of TA and RA).

Congrats, liszt! I'm glad your funding came through? Is OSU your top choice now? I just got word today that I was awarded a University Fellowship (tuition & stipend for years one, two and five; TA tuition waiver and stipend in years three & four) so I am thisclose to accepting their offer. Provided I don't hate Columbus when I go out next Wednesday, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a Buckeye.

Congrats, liszt! I'm glad your funding came through? Is OSU your top choice now? I just got word today that I was awarded a University Fellowship (tuition & stipend for years one, two and five; TA tuition waiver and stipend in years three & four) so I am thisclose to accepting their offer. Provided I don't hate Columbus when I go out next Wednesday, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a Buckeye.

That's awesome Kakirsten!! Congratulations! The university fellowship is very prestigious. My funding is different, I was awarded a "Departmental fellowship" which is not really a fellowship. Have to do RA/TA duties for all five years but I have no complaints :) OSU would become my first choice over Northwestern Linguistics IF the stipend they offer me is good enough to support two people in Columbus (as I intend to bring along my spouse and would be supporting the two of us solely on my stipend). The Northwestern stipend is good but not good enough for two people in Chicago which is a rather expensive place. I do not know if my stipend would be comparable to yours, it might be much lesser, but I hope not too much lesser. Would you mind sharing your funding amount with me through PM? Its just to make a comparison. I've had a few others share with me their amounts and it is all to the tune of ~$20K. If yours is somewhat the same, I might safely be able to assume that I'd get something similar, and if that happens, its a pretty good amount for two people to live off on comfortably in Columbus and OSU would then become my top choice.

And yes, KaKirsten, could you please drop me a message with your impressions about the place when you come back from your visit? That's my only way of getting to know about the campus and the academic atmosphere there as I cannot visit (I'm from India).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hey all,

first of all, Kakirsten, congrats for a university fellowship! I too got one, so u herad from Bobbi davis right?? any further news??

@ all: we are two girls, looking for aprtments in columbus, under a budget of 600$ plus utilities....tell me, is our estimate too low? we would like to stay somewhere hear the campus...sa west av, Niel av etc

• 1 month later...

Don't know if anyone is still active on this thread but I'm leaving for Columbus on Saturday. Anyone else in the process of making the move (or anyone who's completed it)? I'm so nervous. I've lived in Colorado ten years. I've never lived this far away from my family. I'm excited but terrified.

OSU has been my top choice since way back at the beginning of the application process and I never thought I'd get here.

So a few things...

Anyone get to Columbus and make any surprising discoveries?

Anyone stressed to the max about moving?

Anyone else baffled by the quarter system? I still can't get over how late we're starting!

Anyone in the Grad Theatre program?

Don't know if anyone is still active on this thread but I'm leaving for Columbus on Saturday. Anyone else in the process of making the move (or anyone who's completed it)? I'm so nervous. I've lived in Colorado ten years. I've never lived this far away from my family. I'm excited but terrified.

OSU has been my top choice since way back at the beginning of the application process and I never thought I'd get here.

So a few things...

Anyone get to Columbus and make any surprising discoveries?

Anyone stressed to the max about moving?

Anyone else baffled by the quarter system? I still can't get over how late we're starting!

Anyone in the Grad Theatre program?

Hey girlseekingphd,

I'll be leaving on the 8th of Sept. Very excited about it too, esp as I start a new life with my wife in a new country, halfway across the globe from where I've lived all my life! I'm quite stressed about moving too. In fact, the regional passport office came up with a way to trouble me until the last moment. I just got back from there..got all problems resolved (hopefully). The US visa is ready and flight tickets are confirmed too. Shopping and packing to be done.. but very little time left as Sept 2 is a major festival (Onam), the new year of our calendar. So lots of family going to be around.. packing's got to be tough amidst all the celebrations. I've not been able to give my brain the rest that I'd wanted to give it before moving to Columbus. Customary visits to relatives after the marriage kept us busy all this while. I had wanted to do some light academic reading to prepare myself, esp after the 4 month gap between my last academic program and this one. Takes some warming up to get me going.. so not been able to do any of that and that's pissing me off as well.

I'm glad we're starting late!!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use