Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Hey kk12345

I noticed you also applied to the Post-Degree BSW at York U. I was wondering if you heard anything from them on MyFile or otherwise as I'm still waiting and still getting the famous York run around.

Thanks.

Hi FH 2012 and everyone,

Just checked myfile for the post grad BSW at York and it says "Reviewed - unsuccessful - program full". Yikes!

Weird that I could get into an MSW and not a post-grad BSW. I guess it really is about fit after all.

Good luck to everyone I wish you all the best.

kk12345, I too was accepted into an MSW program but rejected from a BSW one. I was tempted to contact the undergrad department to ask why I was rejected but I decided that it's probably better if I don't. It's a really good thing that I got into the MSW because I would have been devastated to receive that undergrad rejection!

kk12345, I too was accepted into an MSW program but rejected from a BSW one. I was tempted to contact the undergrad department to ask why I was rejected but I decided that it's probably better if I don't. It's a really good thing that I got into the MSW because I would have been devastated to receive that undergrad rejection!

Thumper, I agree that it seems strange that programs seem to be inconsistent about how they accept people. I guess what it shows is that most people who apply for MSW or post-grad BSW are probably EXTREMELY qualified; the same people are applying to both programs. Other than GPA, there must be a bit of luck involved in getting accepted - it is probably highly dependent on who are on the admissions committees and what they find appealing about people's applications. For example, I think U of T really likes research experience/academics but maybe the other programs prefer other kinds of experiences.

Unfortunately there are just so many people competing for not enough spots.

Edited by kk12345

• 4 weeks later...

FYI

For those on the waitlist for UofT, Angela (the admin person) is away on vacation and will not be back until Aug 22nd. She stated that the waitlist will NOT move while she is off. Hopefully some of you can relax a bit for the next few weeks!

Hey everyone,

I just discovered this forum today (out of frustration I Googled York U 2 year M.S.W. waitlist). I had applied to UofT M.S.W and was rejected in the first round. Had applied to York U 2 year M.S.W. and other than for a single paged letter I was sent in December, I hadn't heard from the department whatsoever. Anyways after a month of unsuccessfully trying to contact the department including emails, I was able to get in touch with the Graduate Program Coordinator in the 2nd week of July. I had emailed her asking her why I had not been sent a refusal letter via email/letter mail/myFile since I had found out from the Admissions Office over the phone that I hadn't been accepted. She then told me that I had been waitlisted but I wasn't aware of that because I didnt receive that particular email. When I asked her what my position on the wait list was so I could apply for OSAP, she told me I would hear back by the end of this week (July 27th) so hopefully my story is helpful to someone who's also waiting.

Hi diy88! Glad you found the group and thanks for sharing the info. I received an e-mail on May 15 to say I was waitlisted for York's 2-yr MSW, although the e-mail arrived after I contacted them first. Based on past posts on this group page, there is no consistency in how York is letting people know if they are not accepted or waitlisted. Also, as a lot of us have found out, the Admissions department has absolutely no clue what is going on with the Social Work department and they seem to provide random answers that have no basis in fact.

I'd sincerely like to hope that we'll find out something by the end of the week. Although, my experience with York is that they've been saying something similar since the end of April, so - not to sound overly negative - don't get your hopes up that they'll keep that promise. Having said all this, however, I do believe that York's social work program is an excellent program (for those who manage to get through the crazy application process) so I'm keeping my fingers (and everything else) crossed that we'll both get good news soon :)

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on here for awhile, but thought I'd chime in. I was waitlisted for both the Toronto and York 2 Year MSWs, and today my myfile status for York changed to "Reviewed - unsuccessful". Not sure of this means I'm now off the waitlist and officially rejected. Anyways, it's ultimately ok, as I've been looking forward to the next application season and 2013 for a few months now (trying to be realistically hopeful, without getting my hopes up too high). Still on Toronto's waitlist, though.

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on here for awhile, but thought I'd chime in. I was waitlisted for both the Toronto and York 2 Year MSWs, and today my myfile status for York changed to "Reviewed - unsuccessful". Not sure of this means I'm now off the waitlist and officially rejected. Anyways, it's ultimately ok, as I've been looking forward to the next application season and 2013 for a few months now (trying to be realistically hopeful, without getting my hopes up too high). Still on Toronto's waitlist, though.

Yes, mine has changed as well to "reviewed-unsuccessful." Not entirely sure what to make of that. The e-mail I received had said I would be informed by mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Although MyFile at York changed to "reviewed-unsuccessful" and I subsequently received a form letter in the mail saying pretty much the same thing, I e-mailed the School of Social Work and asked for confirmation. After all, they had previously told me that I was on the waiting list. They promptly replied and told me that my application was not successful, etc. A week later? I get another e-mail saying no, actually it appears that I am on the waiting list.

Really these people should give up on Social Work and go into drama. They'd be great at writing farce.

Edited by Laurie S.

Hi xosonneox,

I applied to the Windsor MSW as well and haven't heard anything yet. I've emailed a couple of times and was told yesterday that there aren't any updates and to just keep checking my emails. It's surprising that they haven't decided yet since today was supposed to be the deadline for making the first payment.

Have you heard anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I wish I had discovered this sooner. (Did you end up making a facebook group? Sorry I just read through pretty all of the posts.)

Does anyone know if it's pretty much too late to hear for U of T's waitlist? Class starts next week...I know the cut off date is the 7th or something.

Waitlisted: U of T MSW 2yr

Rejected: Laurier MSW, York MSW

Accepted: Carleton 3rd (2 yr BSW), York post-grad BSW

Attending: York for now

To All Those on the UofT Waitlist, this is a message that I received from Angela today:

"Thank you for your message. In terms of the Wait-List, there has been very little movement. At this time your status has not changed, and we have no way of predicting your chances of admission. The Wait-List is kept open until early September. If there is no change in your status, you will be notified by mid-September that we have closed the Wait-List. In terms of options, I would encourage all applicants to think about employment opportunities and/or consider other academic programs. Should you have an offer of admission from another university program, you may want to consider accepting the position."

Not looking good! :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Still nothing from UofT or York! Hoping to hear from UofT this week!

Can i ask you please what was your GPA to get into the program? My GPA is 3.6 do you think i have any chance to be accepted for MSW at UofT?

• 6 months later...
  • Hello, I am new to this forum and am noticing that it is a great opportunity to get advice and learn from others. I am serious about getting into MSW for the September 2014 semester.