Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Thanks for the supportive words. It boggles my mind that someone with over 10 years experience would get rejected because of a gpa issue. Arghhhhhh lol I think that if you take a few more courses to bump up your grades a bit then you have a really great chance of getting in next year.

Thank you :) I'm looking forward to taking some courses and having a chance to prove myself academically.

Stephanie, please dont get nervous! You have above the minimum requirement plus you have a lot of experience! You have every reason to believe that you will get accepted to at least one of your schools. Although I have a lot of experience as a paid Social Worker, my average is a B-. They didn't even look at my application because I didn't meet the B minimum. I got my rejection letters from the Graduate dept, the Admissions Committee didn't even see it. They only forward on those applications to Social Work that meet the basic requirements. Sucks for me but I cant complain. It is a fair process. Also, my gpa is something that I can 'fix' and that is what I will do.

I think your chances are good! The adcoms know that people in school have limited opportunity to gain direct experience. You cant work as a Social Worker without a BSW degree. What you did is the next best thing, you worked with people! Remember, it isn't just your average that they look at. I highly doubt that the vast majority of applicants have A's. They dont. Your experience and statement can set you apart. Have faith! It ain't over yet. Best of luck :)

Thank you for the encouragement, I hope you are right! You are definitely right, your GPA is something you can fix and I'm sure you'll get in next year if you have the requirement plus all of that experience! :) Best of luck to you and again...thank you very much for the encouragement :D

Hey all, I have been googling MSW admissions and came across this awesome page to vent my nervousness!

I applied to the 2-year masters' programs at Calgary, Carleton, and York. I did hear back from carleton (Acceptance!) but not from the other 2. I'm in Ottawa but I want SO badly to move to calgary for school. Anybody hear from Calgary yet?

Can people level with me about my chances? I have 2 years of FT work in public health (health promo and addictions) plus 2.5 years part-time work in the same general area, particularly with youth. I also have thousands of hours of volunteer experience (leader of an international development org at a university chapter, food bank, tutoring with low-income and criminalized women) and had an A- average... I'm worried about competing against people who have more social work experience or maybe started their own orgs, etc...

Best of luck to everyone!

Hey all, I have been googling MSW admissions and came across this awesome page to vent my nervousness!

I applied to the 2-year masters' programs at Calgary, Carleton, and York. I did hear back from carleton (Acceptance!) but not from the other 2. I'm in Ottawa but I want SO badly to move to calgary for school. Anybody hear from Calgary yet?

Can people level with me about my chances? I have 2 years of FT work in public health (health promo and addictions) plus 2.5 years part-time work in the same general area, particularly with youth. I also have thousands of hours of volunteer experience (leader of an international development org at a university chapter, food bank, tutoring with low-income and criminalized women) and had an A- average... I'm worried about competing against people who have more social work experience or maybe started their own orgs, etc...

Congrats on your acceptance to Carleton! Regarding your question about 'chances', do you just need confirmation that you are a good candidate or are you truly worried that you will not be accepted to your other two schools? Because you seem to have the right mix of academic achievement and experience, I would assume that it is just a matter of 'fit'.

Good luck!

Ya I agree with the earlier poster, you seem to be the perfect candidate for a Master's degree in Social Work. I would be shocked if you were to be rejected from those schools. Good luck!

Thanks to both of you for the feedback - It's just so hard to know, especially when you can't possibly predict the other applications in the same cohort.

What is the latest news for others? This next few weeks should be the most exciting.

Also, out of curiosity, what drove the people on this post to apply for MSW programs? I'm always super interested to hear about others who want to get into the field!

Thanks to both of you for the feedback - It's just so hard to know, especially when you can't possibly predict the other applications in the same cohort.

What is the latest news for others? This next few weeks should be the most exciting.

Also, out of curiosity, what drove the people on this post to apply for MSW programs? I'm always super interested to hear about others who want to get into the field!

This is more about your first post, but just the same..

Once you have the minimum requirements, it really is a game of chance. It is never an issue of being qualified at that point, but of competition and arbitrary decisions. Even then, not possessing all the minimum requirements in no way means you couldn't be successful in the program, however when you reject 80+ percent of applicants, you can't possibly have room for those who don't meet the minimum. Demand is too high, supply is too low.. unfortunately most people are rejected.

I applied to UofT last year and was waitlisted but ultimately I was rejected. I added to my application and applied again, to UofT, Laurier, and a Master of Education program in my hometown. On paper, I should get in. But time will only tell.. paper means absolutely nothing in this competition..

But.. Carleton and York are both really competitive (at least for the 2 year).. If you got into Carleton, you more than have the merit to get into the others.. however, Carleton may have seen something in you (French language skills perhaps) that the other two schools deem irrelevant.. who knows.. it's in the hands of chance now..

Hi All,

Im new here. But in the same boat as all of you. i have applied to U of T and McMaster for the 2 year social work program. None of the schools have a specific date that they say they will let us know by. So the waiting game is extremely annoying.

Firstly, I agree with Ladybug3. Once you meet the requirements (and both of you seem to well exceed them), it is based on factors that you wouldn't necessarily consider or know about. Indeed, time will tell-- the finish line is right there in the distance, hang in there! :)

Re: your question. I actually have my BSW and have been a registered social worker for quite some time now. Getting an MSW is just a natural progession, I guess. I got into this field because I wanted to work with people. I was always quite clear about what I wanted to do so that is why I went straight to the BSW.

I always find it interesting why people gravitate to this field as well...especially after having done something seemingly totally unrelated in undergrad!

Hi All,

Im new here. But in the same boat as all of you. i have applied to U of T and McMaster for the 2 year social work program. None of the schools have a specific date that they say they will let us know by. So the waiting game is extremely annoying.

I just have to say, I find it totally hilarious that a future social worker is calling themselves DexterMorgan!

Hi all, up late, a bit worried bout the outcome, good luck to everyone... I believe we should hear back from Laurier the first two weeks of april, University of Toronto's 2 yr m.s.w went out April 14th last year, and york is somewhere in April. Two weeks till April, were almost there! :)

So we just have to make until April...this is going to be the longest couple of weeks of my life....just like the last few months have been! Hang in there everyone!

Arghhhhh the wait is killing me. I've been offered a year long contract position that is set to start this summer but I can't accept the offer until I hear from the rest of my schools. The bad thing is that the person wants to have everything finalized within the next 2 weeks and I most likely won't have my grad app results yet. This means that the position will likely be offered to someone else. If I don't get in anywhere and I miss out on this opportunity I will be very very sad :(

Hey Thumper, we are all in this together! The wait is the worst at this point, right? In January and February it was a lot more bearable, but now that life decisions have to be made, it's tough.

I can see how you're in an extremely difficult spot. What options have you considered? For example, could you accept the position and later resign if you do get accepted? That may be easier said than done, and I suspect there is more at play here - maybe you feel you'd be burning a bridge, and that fear is completely understandable. However, even if you do start in the 1-year contract, could you work for the rest of the summer (I'm guessing May-August) and let them know far ahead of time that you will be going to grad school in the fall so they can start looking or interviewing later on? That gives the org/institution plenty of time to hire someone else, and they will have to go through that process if you don't accept the job regardless. Just some food for thought.

I recently decided to resign from my job at the end of April once I got into 1 program, although I knew that it wasn't my ideal choice and I have not yet heard from the school I really want (Calgary). I felt like I was hurting my coworkers since I am leaving at an extremely busy time for my team, but a colleage reminded me that, as long as you are respectful and reasonable, there's no reason not to do what is best for YOU in any resignation situation. She also reminded me that I don't owe the organization anything - and I don't say that in a malicious way, but it's easy to get caught up in not wanting to hurt anybody else and, in the end, wind up hurting yourself. We do want to go into social work, after all!

I realize that was a bit rambly, but I just wanted to share that reflection. I hope you hear soon so you can feel more confident in making a decision about work! I question myself every day about leaving my job so early so I can have some "time off," while I'll be making zero money and living off savings, but I realize that it is exactly what I need right now.

Edited by heneyka

She also reminded me that I don't owe the organization anything - and I don't say that in a malicious way, but it's easy to get caught up in not wanting to hurt anybody else and, in the end, wind up hurting yourself. We do want to go into social work, after all!

I second that advice, go for it!

Hey Thumper, we are all in this together! The wait is the worst at this point, right? In January and February it was a lot more bearable, but now that life decisions have to be made, it's tough.

I can see how you're in an extremely difficult spot. What options have you considered? For example, could you accept the position and later resign if you do get accepted? That may be easier said than done, and I suspect there is more at play here - maybe you feel you'd be burning a bridge, and that fear is completely understandable. However, even if you do start in the 1-year contract, could you work for the rest of the summer (I'm guessing May-August) and let them know far ahead of time that you will be going to grad school in the fall so they can start looking or interviewing later on? That gives the org/institution plenty of time to hire someone else, and they will have to go through that process if you don't accept the job regardless. Just some food for thought.

I recently decided to resign from my job at the end of April once I got into 1 program, although I knew that it wasn't my ideal choice and I have not yet heard from the school I really want (Calgary). I felt like I was hurting my coworkers since I am leaving at an extremely busy time for my team, but a colleage reminded me that, as long as you are respectful and reasonable, there's no reason not to do what is best for YOU in any resignation situation. She also reminded me that I don't owe the organization anything - and I don't say that in a malicious way, but it's easy to get caught up in not wanting to hurt anybody else and, in the end, wind up hurting yourself. We do want to go into social work, after all!

I realize that was a bit rambly, but I just wanted to share that reflection. I hope you hear soon so you can feel more confident in making a decision about work! I question myself every day about leaving my job so early so I can have some "time off," while I'll be making zero money and living off savings, but I realize that it is exactly what I need right now.

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I don't think that accepting the position and then backing out if I get an offer is an option. The woman is my academic reference and I feel like I would be burning a bridge if I did that. The position requires about 6 weeks of training so by the time I started in July and finished my training, it would be time for me to leave (If I had a grad program to attend in the fall) so the timing just doesn't work out :(

I received 2 more rejections last Friday so now I'm just waiting on 2 social work programs. I also recently found out that my contract at my current job will likely not be extended for the summer so I will be out of a job at the beginning of May. I'm applying for research assistant and lab manager positions as well as others right now but not knowing if I will be in school next year makes things complicated (I also applied to begin a B.S.W in the fall which was my ultimate back up plan lol).

My face hasn't been this pimply since I was 14. I'm a mess lol :(

"Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I don't think that accepting the position and then backing out if I get an offer is an option."

You are completely looking at it the right way :) .The only thing you could do is accept the position with the understanding that you would have to leave should you receive admission into a program. At that point, it is up to them whether they risk it or not. You would not burn any bridges and also show your professionalism.

Once you get out into your target field, you will see that it is really a 'small world'. Although their are many agencies/organizations, you would be amazed to know how much crossover there really is. Someone you 'screw' today just may be on a hiring committee 5years down the road at a completely different organization.

"I received 2 more rejections last Friday so now I'm just waiting on 2 social work programs. I also recently found out that my contract at my current job will likely not be extended for the summer so I will be out of a job at the beginning of May. I'm applying for research assistant and lab manager positions as well as others right now but not knowing if I will be in school next year makes things complicated (I also applied to begin a B.S.W in the fall which was my ultimate back up plan lol).

My face hasn't been this pimply since I was 14. I'm a mess lol" :(

IAs confusing as it seems, it does sounds like school is your first priority and employment is a backup. As you know, even if you apply to a job where the posting ends today, they will not likely start interviewing for another two weeks. After that, there is more delay as they do second interviews. By then, you should have a pretty good handle on where you will be headed/not headed for school and you will not be forced to awkward situations.

As hard as it is, remember that options dont end with the ones you can see in front of you now. Really, it sounds like you will most definitely go to school in the fall (I cant imagine the BSW option being a bust). If the unimaginable happens and you dont get in anywhere, then more job options will pop up, guaranteed. Hang in there....everything ALWAYS has a way of sorting itself out in then end...

Edited by MSW12 hopeful

I just have to say, I find it totally hilarious that a future social worker is calling themselves DexterMorgan!

HAHA. I love crime drama and other such tv shows. I like to understand the psychology of people and thats why i find dexter very interesting as a show. I assure you its not a reflection on who i am :) i love people :)

Hi all, up late, a bit worried bout the outcome, good luck to everyone... I believe we should hear back from Laurier the first two weeks of april, University of Toronto's 2 yr m.s.w went out April 14th last year, and york is somewhere in April. Two weeks till April, were almost there! :)

Thanks for that info! Appreciate it! I had no idea what dates they were going to let us know. The website gives a generic time frame. I wish the canadian universities gave specific dates like most american universities do.

Thanks for that info! Appreciate it! I had no idea what dates they were going to let us know. The website gives a generic time frame. I wish the canadian universities gave specific dates like most american universities do.

I agree! It's frustrating how general they are. I have called University of Calgary twice to ask about this - once in January because the web and materials gave literally NO indication of when they let people know about admission status, and then again about 2 weeks ago to confirm that the info I got in January was actually right on. "The end of March, latest" is what they tell us. So in my mind, this is the end of March! I wish some schools would even just say "We will be in contact on or before April 7" or whatever date they so choose, just so you're not killing yourself with stress when you haven't heard in February like some others!

...has anybody heard? ^_^

IAs confusing as it seems, it does sounds like school is your first priority and employment is a backup. As you know, even if you apply to a job where the posting ends today, they will not likely start interviewing for another two weeks. After that, there is more delay as they do second interviews. By then, you should have a pretty good handle on where you will be headed/not headed for school and you will not be forced to awkward situations.

As hard as it is, remember that options dont end with the ones you can see in front of you now. Really, it sounds like you will most definitely go to school in the fall (I cant imagine the BSW option being a bust). If the unimaginable happens and you dont get in anywhere, then more job options will pop up, guaranteed. Hang in there....everything ALWAYS has a way of sorting itself out in then end...

Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm optimistic that the BSW will work out but I'm going to have to wait awhile...the undergrad advisor told me that I probably won't hear from them until mid may because decisions are made at the end of April. I just need to be patient lol

Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm optimistic that the BSW will work out but I'm going to have to wait awhile...the undergrad advisor told me that I probably won't hear from them until mid may because decisions are made at the end of April. I just need to be patient lol

Patience is a virtue but BOY it is much easier to indulge in the vice of 20xPERDAYE-MAILCHECKING sometimes!

I would definitely be optimistic about the BSW at Calgary - you seem to have infinitely more research experience than most students applying. The BSW was also a plan I had, plus there are definitely benefits to starting your studies at a more foundational level. I sometimes worry about the pace of jumping into an MSW - I feel like I'll be wanting to do a lot of supplementary reading and research in order to get a handle on all of the new concepts. The other nice thing is that you'll be able to do your Masters in 1 year! My fingers are crossed for you!

As a side note, I just nearly had a heart attack! I was at work when my Blackberry showed a message from U of C admissions. I scrolled for ages (It's quite a broken blackberry - no comment) and when I finally reached the e-mail and felt prepared to read it...it turns out that it was in relation to the BSW application I started online and never finished. GAH!!! I was so psyched up! It's probably better to not be at work for the news, though...

Patience is a virtue but BOY it is much easier to indulge in the vice of 20xPERDAYE-MAILCHECKING sometimes!

I would definitely be optimistic about the BSW at Calgary - you seem to have infinitely more research experience than most students applying. The BSW was also a plan I had, plus there are definitely benefits to starting your studies at a more foundational level. I sometimes worry about the pace of jumping into an MSW - I feel like I'll be wanting to do a lot of supplementary reading and research in order to get a handle on all of the new concepts. The other nice thing is that you'll be able to do your Masters in 1 year! My fingers are crossed for you!

As a side note, I just nearly had a heart attack! I was at work when my Blackberry showed a message from U of C admissions. I scrolled for ages (It's quite a broken blackberry - no comment) and when I finally reached the e-mail and felt prepared to read it...it turns out that it was in relation to the BSW application I started online and never finished. GAH!!! I was so psyched up! It's probably better to not be at work for the news, though...

I've been quite calm this application season and I haven't been refreshing my email constantly..maybe it's because I work full time so my days are usually pretty busy. If I wasn't working as much I'm pretty sure I would not be as patient.

I actually applied to Dalhousie for the BSW. It's an online program that can be completed in 24 months :)

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me, I'm doing the same for you!

Oh no! That's frustrating. I'm sure we will hear soon. I'm prepared to hear by mid April so anything sooner is icing on the cake lol

What stream did you want to focus on at UofC?