Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Rejected from Laurier today, notified via mail ...goodluck to anyone else.. any one hear from york?

Sorry to hear that. :( Was it your first choice? Did you also apply elsewhere? Good luck with your other choices. It's hard to get rejected but hang in there!

So sorry to hear about those who received rejections from Laurier! I do hear that it is very competitive! I have heard that some people have already been accepted to York!

I have yet to hear from York or Laurier....is anyone else in the same boat?

Edited by stephanie.ms.antunes

I too am sorry to hear about Laurier! I hope that you will hear some positive news back from your other schools!

Nothing yet from York for me either. That program is fairly competitive as well, I believe. Stephanie, do you personally know some folks who got accepted already? All I've seen is one posting on the results page that someone got accepted via Myfile, but all I see is "No Decision Yet."

I was out of town this weekend and was able to clear my mind and not worry for a few days, which was amazing...but I was so hoping to come back and find results! Ah well...

I too am sorry to hear about Laurier! I hope that you will hear some positive news back from your other schools!

Nothing yet from York for me either. That program is fairly competitive as well, I believe. Stephanie, do you personally know some folks who got accepted already? All I've seen is one posting on the results page that someone got accepted via Myfile, but all I see is "No Decision Yet."

I was out of town this weekend and was able to clear my mind and not worry for a few days, which was amazing...but I was so hoping to come back and find results! Ah well...

I actually don't know anyone personally, I was just going by what I saw on the results page! Best of luck to you! Hopefully we hear some [good] news soon!

Nothing from York or U of T for me either. I've been checking myfile once an hour so far. I saw the acceptance for York on the results page too. Must have been an early acceptance, a friend of mine was accepted in early March a couple years ago as well.

Just finished my last exam tonight! Wooo Hooo! Now the real freakout over getting into a program can start.... :( Round two... fingers crossed.

How's everyone doing, you guys still alive and well?

Hey Guys. I know there's a lot of debate on here about how many people are accepted into each program. I went to info sessions for all the 2-year programs in Ontario.

I know that UofT gets about 600-700 applications for about 125 spots. That means less than 20% of applicants will go to the program. I know last year they put 75 more on the waitlist. I was one of them last year. I am not sure how many people get in off the waitlist, but there were a few into May and June.

Wilfrid Laurier accepts 90 out of 400-500 applicants. Again, that's pretty close to 20%. They have a small waitlist as well but I do not believe it exceeds 20 or 25. I was rejected today from Laurier. Good luck to anyone who was accepted :D

I know less about York, Windsor, and Carleton because I never planned on going to any of them. I believe they each accept a class of about 25. I am pretty sure they each typically have between 125 and 250 applicants, but again, not entirely sure.

In any case, regardless of the school you applied to, just about 80% of applicants are ultimately rejected and/or reject an offer. So, for those accepted, congratulations on such a wonderful feat. For those who find another fate, keep your chin up. You can always reapply and with such a high rejection rate, it is the program, not you.

Edited by ladybug3

Hey Guys. I know there's a lot of debate on here about how many people are accepted into each program. I went to info sessions for all the 2-year programs in Ontario.

I know that UofT gets about 600-700 applications for about 125 spots. That means less than 20% of applicants will go to the program. I know last year they put 75 more on the waitlist. I was one of them last year. I am not sure how many people get in off the waitlist, but there were a few into May and June.

Wilfrid Laurier accepts 90 out of 400-500 applicants. Again, that's pretty close to 20%. They have a small waitlist as well but I do not believe it exceeds 20 or 25. I was rejected today from Laurier. Good luck to anyone who was accepted :D

I know less about York, Windsor, and Carleton because I never planned on going to any of them. I believe they each accept a class of about 25. I am pretty sure they each typically have between 125 and 250 applicants, but again, not entirely sure.

In any case, regardless of the school you applied to, just about 80% of applicants are ultimately rejected and/or reject an offer. So, for those accepted, congratulations on such a wonderful feat. For those who find another fate, keep your chin up. You can always reapply and with such a high rejection rate, it is the program, not you.

Thanks for the information!

I wonder why schools like Carleton, Windsor, and York have significantly less applicants. They are all bigger cities and decent schools,one would assume people would want to apply to these schools?

To be honest, I think they get less applicants because they accept less people. They are also a lot more likely to offer funding, though, where as UofT and Laurier have minimum funding. They both have a lump sum that is broken into $4000 increments and offered to the highest average, followed by tue second highest average, until all the money is gone.

Anyways, when I was battling whether to spend more than $120 to apply to schools that accept only 25, I looked at how many were accepted. The ratio doesn't change (higher acceptances = higher applicants), however I felt better knowing the $400 I spent opened me up to about 70% of the positions in Canada..

I found this on the Results Survey about UofT.

"Hi fellow social work applicants, I just called U of T to inquire about when they will be mailing out our results. I was told by Angela that they mailed out decisions yesterday and we should start to hear back from them ending of this week and next week. I currently have an offer for York's Msw program and am anxious before I make a final decision. I have until April 12th to notify York of my decision. Anyways good luck to everyone and fingers crossed for favorable results!"

Thank you SO MUCH to whoever posted this! :)

Hope it helps guys!

I just called York in regards to the 2 year MSW program since I am now just beyond anxious. The lady I spoke to in graduate studies said that it is hard to say when results will be sent out given that they are still in the process of reviewing applications. She stated that there was a significant number of applicants and it MAY be by the end of the April but she also stated that she was unable to provide a definite answer. I am not sure what to think now? Hopefully sooner than later....

"Hi fellow social work applicants, I just called U of T to inquire about when they will be mailing out our results. I was told by Angela that they mailed out decisions yesterday and we should start to hear back from them ending of this week and next week. I currently have an offer for York's Msw program and am anxious before I make a final decision. I have until April 12th to notify York of my decision. Anyways good luck to everyone and fingers crossed for favorable results!"

Hope it helps guys!

Is this true if York said they will be sending out replies in the next two weeks, how is the date he must let them know April 12th?

Is this true if York said they will be sending out replies in the next two weeks, how is the date he must let them know April 12th?

Hey, when I saw this post...just thought it is time to stop lurking and make a profile because I wanted to answer this directly and provide other social work applicants any information that I thought would be useful. First off, I have been submitting my results on the results survey. I know how frustrating and difficult this process has been. I know that there were times I felt like I was going crazy. Anyways, I have been accepted to York and when I received my acceptance package that is the date they outlined I had to give a response by. I found out via Myfile last Friday so it is pretty much two weeks that I have been given to accept or decline an offer. I had also applied to Ryerson for a Master in Immigration and Settlement Studies. I was notified by email on March 23rd and they gave me a deadline of April 13th. I have declined this offer. I am still waiting on Wilfrid Laurier and U of T Two-year MSW. While reading this particular thread, it is apparent that we all have a passion for social work and the right values and attitudes, so I really hope that everyone would receive favourable results. It boggles my mind when my friend told me of a horrible date who has a BSW and told her he was only the profession for the money and convenience! Unbelievable!

Hope it helps guys!

When I called U of T, Angela was very abrupt..she has probably had her share of applicants calling to find out their results lol. What bugs me is that when I login to the U of T sgs, it still says "Under Review" lol

When I called U of T, Angela was very abrupt..she has probably had her share of applicants calling to find out their results lol. What bugs me is that when I login to the U of T sgs, it still says "Under Review" lol

I agree! If they have the results I wish they would put it online....to take this misery of the unknown away from us! lol

Hey, when I saw this post...just thought it is time to stop lurking and make a profile because I wanted to answer this directly and provide other social work applicants any information that I thought would be useful. First off, I have been submitting my results on the results survey. I know how frustrating and difficult this process has been. I know that there were times I felt like I was going crazy. Anyways, I have been accepted to York and when I received my acceptance package that is the date they outlined I had to give a response by. I found out via Myfile last Friday so it is pretty much two weeks that I have been given to accept or decline an offer. I had also applied to Ryerson for a Master in Immigration and Settlement Studies. I was notified by email on March 23rd and they gave me a deadline of April 13th. I have declined this offer. I am still waiting on Wilfrid Laurier and U of T Two-year MSW. While reading this particular thread, it is apparent that we all have a passion for social work and the right values and attitudes, so I really hope that everyone would receive favourable results. It boggles my mind when my friend told me of a horrible date who has a BSW and told her he was only the profession for the money and convenience! Unbelievable!

First off - Only in the social work profession for the money and convenience? Sorry to say I think that dude was delusional! Maybe one selfish reason could be the the (relative) job security, but that wouldn't make up for a lack of passion or at least interest! Thanks for sharing the positivity with us - I agree that I'm pretty impressed with and rooting for all the folks who've posted in this topic!

On the York question, firstly: Congratulations on your acceptance! That must feel really wonderful. I was meaning to ask, did you submit your application package in any kind of early acceptance pool? I did the December 12th deadline. Regardless, I suspect that either you are part of their first wave of acceptances and they're waiting to admit people on an unreleased waitlist once they hear back (2 weeks is insane!), or you are part of that first wave and maybe some others will get acceptances after? Ah, the whole process is so opaque that it's hard to predict.

I (like many of you, I suspect) really want to go into a 4-day Easter weekend with some answers so I can mull over my decision without the stress of a full time job! I am fearful of getting an answer while at work and needing to go cry/dance in a corner and forfeit the rest of my day lol.

Positive vibes all around!!

First off - Only in the social work profession for the money and convenience? Sorry to say I think that dude was delusional! Maybe one selfish reason could be the the (relative) job security, but that wouldn't make up for a lack of passion or at least interest! Thanks for sharing the positivity with us - I agree that I'm pretty impressed with and rooting for all the folks who've posted in this topic!

On the York question, firstly: Congratulations on your acceptance! That must feel really wonderful. I was meaning to ask, did you submit your application package in any kind of early acceptance pool? I did the December 12th deadline. Regardless, I suspect that either you are part of their first wave of acceptances and they're waiting to admit people on an unreleased waitlist once they hear back (2 weeks is insane!), or you are part of that first wave and maybe some others will get acceptances after? Ah, the whole process is so opaque that it's hard to predict.

I (like many of you, I suspect) really want to go into a 4-day Easter weekend with some answers so I can mull over my decision without the stress of a full time job! I am fearful of getting an answer while at work and needing to go cry/dance in a corner and forfeit the rest of my day lol.

Positive vibes all around!!

Heneyka, I agree his is delusional! My friend fully put him in his place and that date was cut short as he had other undesirable traits. Thanks for the congratulations and congrats to you on your acceptance to Carleton. I know Carleton is an extremely competitive program as well! I did not apply there because I believe you needed to take a half-credit in Statistics? I know that Windsor and another program requires this. In my sociology methodology we did a bit of statistics and I hated it lol. I know that you also needed like 3500 hours of volunteer work too. While, I have a significant amount of hours in the last five years in the social services, I do not think I would have met that requirement. I had a part-time job throughout undergrad and I was a part of a few student clubs. So congrats again...it is quite impressive!

I did not apply early to York. I submitted my application on the day of December 12th. I suspect that I am a part of the first wave of acceptances but I know York will send out another round of acceptances after April 12th and will notify applicants whether they have been waitlisted and so forth. I agree that two weeks is insane, as it puts a lot of pressure to find out the results of the other apps so I can make a well-thought out and informed decision.

And yes let's keep it postive, it won't do any good to go to pieces!!

Hope it helps guys!

OMG thanks so much for sharing that information everyone!! The day is almost here!! Best of luck everyone!

I know some people are reporting having received offers of admission for York's MSW program. Are these offers for the 1-year or 2-year program? I've applied for the 2-year program and been told by the department that offers won't be mailed out until the end of April. I believe that the 1-year program receives offers first.

Of course I've checked York's MyFile obsessively every day since I applied in December. Really glad I did check, though, as I found out in January that I was declined. I called them to follow-up as I didn't understand why I was rejected so early in the game. If I hadn't called them, I wouldn't have discovered that they made a mistake in calculating my GPA (they calculated it at "C" which is below the minimum requirement, and my actual average is "A-"). After about a week, I was able to get them to fix the error and I was put back in the application process. Subsequently, I was nearly removed again because they said I'd only submitted two references, when in fact I'd submitted three (and MyFile showed they'd all been received). After another worrying week, they found they had all three references.

If anyone received a rejection, I'd suggest a follow-up just to ensure that it wasn't due to an administrative error.