SOP typo...what to do?!

Hi all,

I am applying to PhD programs in I/O psychology, and just finished all of my applications. However, after reviewing my statements today, I realized that I submitted it to a couple different schools with a sentence as follows: "...to ensure that their employees were as satisfied and comfortable, thus ultimately increasing the company’s overall productivity."

I meant to say "were as satisfied and comfortable as possible"! If only the "as" were omitted, my sentence would still make sense.

I feel that the rest of my statement is very strong, and I have a great deal of research experience, a 4.00 GPA, and a 1260 GRE score. Even with all of that, though, do you think that this typo will make them not take my personal statement/application seriously? I don't want all of my hard work to go to waste because of this stupid error! I am not sure if I should try and submit a new version of my statement with this corrected, or if I should just leave it alone.

I did a similar thing, realizing I had sent three SoPs with a missing word in one sentence. I freaked out a little bit, but then I realized that they are just as likely, probably more likely, to read it as the correct sentence anyway, or at least understand the meaning. I'm pretty sure your mistake is small enough to be negligible. Anyway, you've submitted, and there's nothing you can do but let it go. Teensy proofing things are not damaging to your application (I am telling myself this too). Anyway, I see teensy proofing mistakes in faculty work all the time!

Edited by snes

FYI -- I did decide to contact my schools after all in order to update my sample without the typos. So far, 6/7 schools I'm applying to have accepted the revised doc. Surprising, since the sites say they will NOT accept documents after the app is submitted. One of my schools was due on the 8th, and they even accepted my changed document! As long as they haven't met about your app, they'll probably make the switch. I don't think it would be any different for an SOP.

once I've submitted my SOP, I never looked back. It's not like I can do anything to change the typos. :D

This. And because I use an already-sent SoP as a template for the next SoP I write, I take steps to do an initial edit just to avoid reading the already-sent SoP at all and seeing mistakes like "And that is why I would like to attend the Columbia"(<-the dangers of find/replace).

If you contact them to ask and they say no, not only can you not submit a new copy, you'll have drawn their attention to something they probably wouldn't have noticed anyway...I would just leave it, on the scale of possible mistakes in your SoP. it's so, so minor.

just submit and don't look back. i found a missing word in mine similar to what SNES said, replaced "the Cairo Airport" with what I thought was simply "Cairo." Ended up with, "finally reaching the Cairo, we ..." I don't know if you have ever been to the Cairo, but I hear it is nice this time of year.

such an idiot I am.

One of the labs I'm interested is an acronym and is capitalized a bit unusually (only a few letters are lowercase) and in my SOP, I capitalized it incorrectly. I can't believe it -- I read the website 100x, checked over my SOP 100x...and now it looks like I just carelessly skimmed both :(

Hi all,

I am applying to PhD programs in I/O psychology, and just finished all of my applications. However, after reviewing my statements today, I realized that I submitted it to a couple different schools with a sentence as follows: "...to ensure that their employees were as satisfied and comfortable, thus ultimately increasing the company’s overall productivity."

I meant to say "were as satisfied and comfortable as possible"! If only the "as" were omitted, my sentence would still make sense.

I feel that the rest of my statement is very strong, and I have a great deal of research experience, a 4.00 GPA, and a 1260 GRE score. Even with all of that, though, do you think that this typo will make them not take my personal statement/application seriously? I don't want all of my hard work to go to waste because of this stupid error! I am not sure if I should try and submit a new version of my statement with this corrected, or if I should just leave it alone.

When I first read the incorrect sentence, I did not notice any problems. After you pointed out the error, I realize I had mentally omitted the word "as" without realizing it. Seems like a minor error to me.

One of the labs I'm interested is an acronym and is capitalized a bit unusually (only a few letters are lowercase) and in my SOP, I capitalized it incorrectly. I can't believe it -- I read the website 100x, checked over my SOP 100x...and now it looks like I just carelessly skimmed both :(

One of the programs I'm applying to was inconsistent in capitalizing its name as an acronym on the website/emails, so I'm sure I did it wrong too. :lol:

I would say don't draw attention to minor mistakes. Obviously you have good qualifications, and small errors are probably relatively common. I submitted a SOP (to my first-choice school, no less) that used "an" where I should have used "a". This was after proofreading and sending to several people for advice. I was rather mortified, but chances are they aren't even going to notice.

• 3 weeks later...

I knew I shouldn't have opened my SoP. I wrote "Masters" instead of "Master's".

Augh. How will they take my app seriously given that I couldn't correctly punctuate what I applied for?

Dear Ground,

Please swallow me up.

Kthx.

I knew I shouldn't have opened my SoP. I wrote "Masters" instead of "Master's".

Augh. How will they take my app seriously given that I couldn't correctly punctuate what I applied for?

Dear Ground,

Please swallow me up.

Kthx.

Hmm...me too (didn't even know until now that it wasn't correct)...I can't see that being an issue...

• 3 weeks later...

This topic gives me hope.

I found a typo...

"Sfard's insight are..."

And I almost gave immediately. *Deep breaths.* Life goes on.

I think the lesson here is to never, ever reread your SOP after submitting it :)

At the school I work at, they also give both copies to the admissions committee. They don't remove anything from your file - ever. They will just add additional papers, like e-mails you send with updated documents. I'm applying to grad schools and I had a typo on my resume as well. I did contact all the schools to report it because I attributed a publication to the wrong organization by omitting a word. Only one school asked for a revised resume. The rest just said they noted it in my file. I'm sure they just printed out the e-mail and stuck it in my folder. Not one school refused to make changes.