Where are the PhD BME Applicants for Fall 2012?

WJS

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've applied to a bunch of BE-ish programs (UW-Seattle BE, Berkeley/UCSF BE, Stanford BE, Davis BME, BU BME) and haven't heard anything. Historically there's not much going on until mid-January onward (and there hasn't been anything on the gradcafe results page yet). Stanford sent me an email on Dec 28th stating that my application is complete, but that's it.

Edited by sarbruis

Applied: MIT, HST, JHU, Duke, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn, UCSD

Stats

GPA: > 3.9 from top 20 american engineering university

Research: 2 years, 3 different projects on BME related topics

GRE: > 90th% on all sections

Several scholarships and Amgen scholar

1 pub in progress (3rd author)

3 very strong LORs (was told so by prof that has reviewed my app already); 2 of these from top PIs in the field

Edited by navier

Applied: MIT, HST, JHU, Duke, Stanford, Columbia, UPenn, UCSD

Stats

GPA: > 3.9 from top 20 american engineering university

Research: 2 years, 3 different projects on BME related topics

GRE: > 90th% on all sections

Several scholarships and Amgen scholar

1 pub in progress (3rd author)

3 very strong LORs (was told so by prof that has reviewed my app already); 2 of these from top PIs in the field

Hi Navier, did u apply to MIT BE? have you got any msg from the department yet? thanks!

Tensor

Applied:MIT, Yale, UCB/UCSF and Caltech

Stats

UG GPA: > 3.9 from international university with no name

Master GPA: 4.0 from top Canadian engineering school

Research: full time 4 years, plus 2 years TA in chemical engineering

GRE: good Math and Verbal, bad writing

Publication: 9 total, 4 first author

3 strong LOR from a Harvard young PI, my master PI, and a super famous PI in bioengineering.

Stats:

Undergrad: Top 100-ish Midwestern State School

Major: Math with lots of CS/Biology/Chemistry coursework

GPA: 3.74 (including a pretty bad final semester)

Research: I've done projects in genetics, computational biology, and synthetic biology over about 3.5 years. I graduated in 2011 and have been doing research since then.

Publications: one minor-author on a Nature paper, and minor paper in submission

GRE Scores: 800Q, 660V, 5.0AW

Other: Amgen Scholar and some school-level awards/honors

Programs:

UW-Seattle Bioengineering

UW-Seattle Biology/Computational Molecular Biology

Berkeley/UCSF Bioengineering

Stanford Bioengineering

MIT CSB

Harvard Systems Biology

BU Biomedical Engineering

Northwestern IBiS

UC Davis Biomedical Engineering

U of Utah Bioengineering

So far:

Interview invites for UW-Seattle Biology and Northwestern IBiS. Presumably rejected from Harvard Systems Biology.

Edited by sarbruis

So it looks like Duke has sent out interview invites, and UCSD will be sending them out until Tuesday.

Nothing from duke.. i shouldn't be surprised.. nothing from UCSD either.. the lowest-ranked program I applied to was Northwestern, we'll see how that all goes.

>< Fingers crossed.. by the end of the month if I haven't received any invites I'll have to wait to hear back from master's programs, as well as starting the job hunt..

Hmmm, appears like I'm reaching high:

Type of student: International

Academic credentials: Undergrad from a Not-So-Bad university with an iGPA of 3.9.

One year research experience in relevant field with one first-author publication in good international journal.

GRE: Q-91%; V-98%; AW: 5.0

Applied for PhD with a specialization in microfluidic-bioanalysis to:

UCB/UCSF BioE (a little too ambitious I suppose)

UCLA BME

UIUC ChBE

Northeastern Univ BioE

Georgia Tech BioE (in process)

How apt it is for one to receive something like this in their email when they're waiting for admissions decisions:

"If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise," said the seer. "If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur."

:unsure:

I am currently a senior at a top 5 private university (MIT, Stanford, Caltech, or Ivy).

3.7 GPA, B.S. in biological engineering, minor in physics

3 years of research experience (genetics, neuro), including research at 2 of the universities listed above.

Q-800 (~95%), V-600 (~85%), A-4.5

MIT CSB - rejected 12/22 via email

MIT/Harvard MEMP -

Harvard Sysbio - no response, but emails already sent according to gradcafe

Washington -

UCB/UCSF BME - rejected 1/19 via email

UCSD Bioe -

Johns Hopkins BME -

Colorado ChBE - rejected 1/19 via email

UCLA Biomath -

Stanford CSB - no response, but emails already sent according to gradcafe

I am currently batting 0/5, which I did not expect at all given my stats.

I got an interview to UCSD Bioengineering. I'm pretty sure it's because I established a rapport with the POI well before applications started coming in. His research area is exactly what I want to be studying, and this school and lab is my first choice.

I'm wondering how my other applications will turn out. Penn said they'd be sending out interview requests first week of Feb, and similar timelines were given by the other programs I applied to. The difference with these programs is that I hadn't really established a real rapport with any POIs at those schools, though I gave it a shot. So given my middling GPA - (3.55 overall, but 4.0 my last two years) we'll see. I have great LORs (or so I was told by the writers of the LORs) and good research experience both in industry and academia. Plus I have a unique background where I worked in an unrelated field for three years to save money for school, which hopefully speaks to my work ethic and motivations.

So I hope I still look like a good candidate in POIs' eyes.

UCSD is my top choice so given that I've gotten an interview I just have to make the best of it and then hopefully get admitted.. I plan on spending the month of Feb reading all my POI's recent pubs, and then self-educating to talk intelligently about my chosen field of research, and then (hopefully) knowing enough to put together a rough idea of a thesis proposal which properly combines my interests with the theme of current research going on in the POI's lab. I won't be caught unprepared for that interview!

Duke would be a second, but I think they've already sent out a lot of their interview requests, so I'm not sure what the deal will be there..

Still waiting on official news from Duke BME, Penn BioE, Stanford BioE, Northwestern BME PhDs, and two MEM programs (Duke, Dartmouth)

I must continue to be patient and hope for the best - easier said than done some days, haha. Good luck to all my fellow BioE / BME PhD applicants...

Edited by jwa1920

Anyone applying to Northwestern heard back yet? I'm wondering if they send out the acceptances all at once or if it's rolling acceptances. I saw one person post their acceptance, looks like they heard back on the 25th... so I wonder if that means all the acceptances are out?

I am a current postbac in a research program to facilitate entry into a doctoral program. I graduated with a chemical engineering degree with a minor in biology.

GPA- 3.8

Three years of research in chemical engineering and biological engineering. I have experience in everything from ultra vacuums, plasma polymerization, polymer chemistry, thin films to microfluidics with biological/cell applications. I applied for BME programs at:

University of Rochester- Interview 2/9

University of Washington- nothing yet

University of Wisconsin-Madison- Accepted 1/26

I also applied to chemical engineering programs at the same universities:

University of Rochester- nothing yet

University of Washington- Accepted 1/24

University of Wisconsin-Madison- Rejected 1/30

Has anyone else heard from any of these other programs for either BME or ChemE?

Edited by blues148

Just got into GeorgiaTech/Emory over the weekend! Super stoked!!! Got an email from the chair of the graduate admissions.

"Let me introduce myself; I am Dr. Mike Davis, Assistant Professor and Chair of the graduate admissions committee of Biomedical Engineering Program at the Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University. We received over 400 applications this year and I'm pleased to report that yours was met with considerable enthusiasm and we would like to offer you admission. The official paperwork may take a few weeks, but we would like to invite you to visit us during the Biomedical Engineering Recruitment Days on March 25-27, 2012. You will receive more information about the event as we get closer, but in the meanwhile, please save the date.

As you may know, we have a very strong program, have been ranked the #2 program in BME for the last 5 consecutive years, and house a faculty with broad interests from cellular and molecular bioengineering to neuroengineering to cardiovascular biomechanics to MRI and image processing. In addition, Atlanta is a young and vibrant city with something for everyone..."

Then a personal note about my interests and professors I want to work in. The admissions is rolling and the enrolled class size is around 25 students.

Edited by bme2012

@bme2012: Congrats

I guess I can cross out my #1 school ><!

The admissions is rolling. So you still have a shot!

I saw the survey results and JHU have sent email messages of the results, for interview and rejection yesterday. How come my inbox is empty? :(

I didn't get a JHU message either. Oh well. I like Atlanta more than Baltimore anyways..