Where are the PhD BME Applicants for Fall 2012?

WJS

What. the. heck. I am in the top quartile of my major at MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, or an Ivy League school. With three years in great labs.

MIT CSB - rejected 12/22 via email

MIT/Harvard MEMP - rejected via email

Harvard Sysbio - no response, but emails already sent according to gradcafe

Washington - rejected via email on 2/8

UCB/UCSF BME - rejected 1/19 via email

UCSD Bioe -

Johns Hopkins BME - no response, but emails already sent according to gradcafe

Colorado ChBE - just kidding, not actually rejected. I was sent the wrong email - interview in 2/24-2/25

UCLA Biomath - accepted, visit weekend 2/23-24

Stanford CSB - rejected 1/25 via postal service

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ UW Bioengineering has been sending out rejections today.

amazonian: this year seems incredibly rough. Berkeley had 200 applicants over last year and I imagine other programs were similarly swamped. If you end up taking a year off, I recommend trying to start some conversations with professors and building up a bit of a relationship. It's what I did this year and I've ended up doing much better than last year (though still got no love from Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and UCSF/Berkeley).

Edited by sarbruis

Yup. Washington Bioengineering.

I am probably going to take next year off from school to lab tech or work in industry. There's no use in starting a ~5 year PhD in a program where I don't think I will be happy/interested. I'm telling myself that maybe all the rejections are a blessing in disguise and I might find something else I want to do even more (?).

Congrats everyone else.

Update. I think I've gotten all the interviews I'm getting, except maybe Northwestern.

U Penn - Interview 2/23-2/25

UCSD - Interview 3/2-3/4

Stanford - Rejected via official email

Duke - ?? (Probably a reject, interview invites already sent)

Northwestern - ??

My first choice is UCSD, so thank god for the invite. Going to brush up on the pub history of my POI there before intervews. Good luck all..

JHU said that they have not yet sent any rejection letter in case they need to interview more students.They will send official (rejection) results end of March. Sucks! Prolonging the agony. :( I guess we still have a chance bme2012? Is this a good or a bad thing? JHU is playing safe

Edited by WJS

It's strange how some schools stagger their decisions. So far,

Interviews:

Stanford

HST MEMP

Vanderbilt

Rejection:

UCSF/Cal

Still waiting on Duke and UW. Like the previous poster said about JHU, maybe they are just playing it safe. Btw, jwa1920, I am from UCSD. Let me know if you need any info!

I also feel like I am reaching high, but still got some hope...

Stats:

3.7 GPA, B.S. in mechanical engineering, minor in BME from a fairly good university

Research xp:

2 years (musculoskeletal biomechanics and cardiac mechanics) both with focus in regenerative medicine

Two poster presentations at BMES Annual Meeting for projects at home univ and summer program

1 pub still in process

Interests:

Biomechanics of soft and/or hard tissues, Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering

Applications using both, experimental techniques and computational tools

PhD Programs Applied:

UCSD BioE - Interviews 3/2

GATech BME -

UW Seattle BioE - Rejected 2/8

Duke BME -

UM Ann Arbor BME -

Purdue BME -

Cornell BME - Accepted 1/25

Although UCSD had been my top choice for a while, Cornell's offer is very tempting. I'm still waiting for a final response from Duke and GA Tech. I've read some threads about acceptance from them. Has anyone heard from Purdue or UM Ann Arbor??

Hey to BME2012, I got the same letter. Are you going to the campus visit? Also did they say anything about funding. I am kind of worried about that. If you want to talk more about the program, shoot me an email at ztm2587@gmail.com. Excited about GaTech, just waiting for official papers (hope email was not a fluke)...good luck to everyone

Hi all, I posted this in the "Decisions Decisions" topic already, but I feel like my fellow BME applicants would have some better insights. Here is my scenario:

I am currently accepted to the BME PhD at Boston University and I have an interview for BME PhD at Columbia coming up. Now BU is highly regarded within the BME field (top 10), but not as well respected as a graduate engineering school in general (top 50). However, Columbia is pretty much the opposite with only being top 20 in BME specifically, but top 15 for graduate engineering.

Now, if I got into Columbia and I like both campuses, both advisers, etc exactly the same, I am torn on what would be a better choice. I am about 50/50 on whether I plan to stay in academia or goto industry. My personal feelings would be that if I went to industry Columbia would be more favored since it is Ivy and has a great reputation. However, if I were to stay in academia than all potential post-doc BME schools recognize BU as being extremely strong in BME. Can anyone confirm this opinion or offer any other insights? Thanks!

@ghanda: when did you hear from columbia? I am waiting to hear from them and I hope they are still sending out acceptances

I received an e-mail last Wednesday. The interview is on March 8-10. It is hard to find any info at all about their interviews and when they are so I have no idea if this is the first and only one or if there were some before or if there will be more later. It probably wouldn't be unreasonable to think they will be sending out more interviews this week, good luck!

Hi,

I just saw that someone posted on the result survey page that he received a phone acceptance from biological engineering, MIT. Are they still sending out invitations or what? I haven't received the rejection letters - the results page show that some have recd their rejections. Does someone has any idea? I am an international applicant and am wondering as to when will I hear from them.

Thanks