Structural Engineering Admission's Process Fall 2012

guishediaz

I have seen someone posted about acceptances from UIUC and VTech Civil Engineering Department. I am not sure whether they are structures or not. But have anyone of you heard back from any of these two schools?

I haven't heard anything from UIUC yet either. Hopefully we'll hear back soon. Last year it looks like some of the UIUC structural applicants started getting answers around this time, but it could be different this year. Didn't apply to VTech.

I have seen someone posted about acceptances from UIUC and VTech Civil Engineering Department. I am not sure whether they are structures or not. But have anyone of you heard back from any of these two schools?

I received response from VT, just because I was already admitted there and I deffered.

For the UCB's SEMM applicants... I just talked to Shelley and she tells me that they 're sending their first decisions on february; however, she says that most of them come out in march and others on april (unlikely).

Wow, I saw in the result search that UT Austin is giving out the decision today. And I realize that most of rejection case is not informed via email but via website.

Hope I will get result soon; get tired of waiting

For structure phds, how common is it to receive an interview either an invite or from a POI directly? I know in some other disciplines, interviews are generally required for admissions, but I've noticed it varies for engineers.

For those who have already been accepted for PhD programs, were you contacted before you were notified of your acceptance? If we don't hear back from either a POI or the graduate office, should we just assume we were rejected?

Wow, I saw in the result search that UT Austin is giving out the decision today. And I realize that most of rejection case is not informed via email but via website.

Hope I will get result soon; get tired of waiting

Checked the website today:

"As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

Hang in there :)

For the UCB's SEMM applicants... I just talked to Shelley and she tells me that they 're sending their first decisions on february; however, she says that most of them come out in march and others on april (unlikely).

Hopefully we'll get to hear back sooner than later! Seems like decisions for most schools will start coming out next two weeks. Good luck everyone!

Edited by smbcpc12

Does anyone receive the letter regarding the visitation day from Ga Tech? Does the attendance matter to the admissions? Or it is just an invitation for all the applicants. Confused.

Does anyone receive the letter regarding the visitation day from Ga Tech? Does the attendance matter to the admissions? Or it is just an invitation for all the applicants. Confused.

Not everyone gets a visitation day letter... usually, they send it to people from the States who they're interested in meeting...it's like an unofficial interview and this could enhace or hurt your admission's and funding's chances.... however, if someone does not get this letter or does not assist, well... it doesn't mean that this person won't be accepted.

COngratz on receiving this letter! It's the first step... we will all hear from GT on late March!

Congrats on the invitation letter. It's one step closer to the acceptance and may be funding as well. When did you get your invitation and when is the visitation day? Did it come through email or by post?

Congrats on the invitation letter. It's one step closer to the acceptance and may be funding as well. When did you get your invitation and when is the visitation day? Did it come through email or by post?

I got the invitation letter on 14 Feb. It came through an email and the visitation day is 9-10 Mar. I propably won't go because I actually live outside the US.

I got the invitation letter on 14 Feb. It came through an email and the visitation day is 9-10 Mar. I propably won't go because I actually live outside the US.

Would you mind posting your stats? What are your research interests? Did you mention about any faculties in your SOP?

If I were you, I would go. Since you live outside of the US and they invited you, it means they're very interested in meeting you. Trust me, if it's in your possibilities, try to go.

Would you mind posting your stats? What are your research interests? Did you mention about any faculties in your SOP?

My stats:

Grad: US top 10 university, GPA: 4.8/5

Undergrad: International, GPA: 3.9/4, ranked #1 out of 51

GRE: V490/Q800/A3.0

Publication: Only if MS thesis counts

Professional Experience: 2 years industry experience

I actually didn't mention any faculties in my SOP but I am kind of regret. I applied to eight schools and most of them are top 10 ranked. I'm not optimistic about my application because I don't have a competitive research background. Hope we all can have good results.

My stats:

Grad: US top 10 university, GPA: 4.8/5

Undergrad: International, GPA: 3.9/4, ranked #1 out of 51

GRE: V490/Q800/A3.0

Publication: Only if MS thesis counts

Professional Experience: 2 years industry experience

I actually didn't mention any faculties in my SOP but I am kind of regret. I applied to eight schools and most of them are top 10 ranked. I'm not optimistic about my application because I don't have a competitive research background. Hope we all can have good results.

Your stat looks great, especially undergrad GPA.....I have research experience....but my undergrad GPA is hurting me bad......