Columbia SIPA PEPM applicants

sg1984

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if there are any PEPM (Columbia SIPA) applicants in this forum. It would be nice to share thoughts about the application process, and share together all the anxiety about the decisions of the admission committee.

Hi sg1984! I already applied to PEPM for fall 2012. I have a public administration/international institution experience but for less than three years. This is what makes me the most anxious because applicants seems to have more than 4 years of experience in average. What about you?

Hi MPA455!

Actually my experience is limited to research and academia (full time professor at a top ranked university in Bogota, Colombia; 2 and 1/2 years experience). I have a MSc in Economics and next May I'm graduating from a MA in International Development. So your professional background seems much stronger than mine.

The reason why I want to get an MPA is because I am hoping to move from the academia to the public sector, and I am still lacking some managerial skills. I really like the PEPM because it is an intensive 1 year program, and I don't want to study for longer than that since I already have 2 masters and I really want to start my public career in Colombia as soon as possible.

I think that my academic background and my letters of recommendation are really strong, but

I am concerned about my professional background as a researcher and professor. I graduated top of the class in undergrad (Econ) and graduate school (MSc Econ). I am currently a MA ID student at American SIS (full scholarship and TA position) and my GPA is 3.98/4.00.

Do you have any thoughts about my profile and my chances of getting admitted and getting funding at SIPA?

Your background should not be an issue especially if you can demonstrate that your research was oriented toward interesting economic/development issues.

I think a most important issue for you to address is why you want another master degree, especially since you might have already studied most of the topics covered in the PEPM curriculum in your Ms Econ and MA ID.

Your GPA is excellent! Did you already take the GRE?

As of the funding, PEPM students from developing countries have a little advantage because PEPM has a special partnership with the World Bank/Japan Scholarship program.

In my case (and probably yours), it could be difficult to get it since I saw on the World bank website that applicants should not be residing for more than one year in an industrialized country. But since I have not seen this condition on SIPA's website, I hope that they are more flexible with PEPM applicants. ^_^

http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/WBI/EXTWBISFP/EXTJJWBGSP/0,,contentMDK:20287115~menuPK:562877~pagePK:64168445~piPK:64168309~theSitePK:551644,00.html

You are right. I tried to address the need for a third masters in the SOP. I only applied to this program (as a long shot because I would only be able to attend if I get a full scholarship), so if I don't get accepted I will come back to Colombia (next May) and I will try to get a policy job in the public sector.

I am really hoping to get accepted. I visited SIPA last semester, and it was a great experience. I had the chance to attend Prof. Jehle's micro class, and a special conference organized by the World Bank about Latam economic issues.

Where are you from?

Have you heard anything from SIPA? I submitted my application very early (November) and I haven't heard anything.

I imagine they didn't receive the World Bank scholarship, because if you do, yo have to return to your home country after the summer internship.

When I talked to the program coordinator he told me that we should get a response by mid February (so that students can apply for summer housing on time), and the scholarship decisions are sent out by mid march.

Wow it sounds like they have a great career. I also know a few people that graduated from the program, and they also have very fruitful careers.

We should keep in touch; it would be great if we end up being classmates next summer :D

Will you be able to attend if you don't receive the WB scholarship?

The cost of attendance is around $106,000. The link to the financial info is http://www.sipa.columbia.edu/resources_services/financial_aid/documents/CostofAttendance_PEPM_2011b.pdf

I also chose the answer to the editor. I didn't provide an answer to a specific article. What I did was to provide further information about my Interests in the form of a letter to an editor of an economic policy magazine. I'm not sure if that was the way to go.

Yep. It is a lot of money.

I am hoping that the essay is fine. Anyways, all we can do now is wait and hope for the best.

Are you applying to other schools? What is your first choice?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello fellow PEPM candidates. I am also applying to the PEPM this year. I am from Brazil. Did you guys had any update on when the decisions are sent out? Is it really on Mid - February (it is next week!). Good luck to all, Tomas

Edited by tomasltc

Hi Tomas. I emailed them again, and according to the program coordinator we should be getting news one week after the 15th of February at the latest (apparently they had a problem with the admissions software that might delay their process one week). So we still have to wait one or two weeks to get news from them.

Can you share with us some information about your profile? Did you apply to the WB scholarship?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SG1984, I have worked 4 years in banking in Brazil and did a traineeship at UN. Just called the Admission office and they told me some admission results were delayed 2 week (unfortunately my application was among those..). I hope that this relates to the same issue you indicated. Do you think this is a sign I am not admitted?? (not very familiar with US admission process..). Thanks all.

Tomasltc,

Hi. I have no news yet either, so probably I will have to wait two weeks too. I don't think that means that you are not admitted. I talked to David Caughlin some weeks ago and he told me about the possible delay.

I guess all we can do now is wait.

• 2 years later...