CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

Hey,

I'm go glad i found this forum! I was going nuts trying to see if anyone else had heard anything.

Congratulations to everyone thats been accepted.

I've applied to CSULB and SDSU for their 2 year msw programs.

I literally turned them in on the deadline.

Has anyone heard back from either of these schools?

Did you check the results search on the site? I think some people have heard from LB. I am like you. I literally turned in my CSUN app the last day. It couldn´t really be avoided but, it certainly added a lot of stress!

And congrats again to everyone getting acceptances!

Edited by allyba

What are the chances of getting accepted into CSUN MSW Program if I have not been called in for an interview?

I turned in my application for priority review, by March 15 i'm suppose to know whether I got accepted or not. But the wait is killing me, especially because i was not contacted to go in for an interview.

Hey,

I'm go glad i found this forum! I was going nuts trying to see if anyone else had heard anything.

Congratulations to everyone thats been accepted.

I've applied to CSULB and SDSU for their 2 year msw programs.

I literally turned them in on the deadline.

Has anyone heard back from either of these schools?

Hey!

I only applied to CSULB and literally turned in the app on the deadline. I haven't heard anything except that they have received my app and that it is currently under review. Best of luck! Both SDSU and CSULB have great MSW programs!

Hey!

I only applied to CSULB and literally turned in the app on the deadline. I haven't heard anything except that they have received my app and that it is currently under review. Best of luck! Both SDSU and CSULB have great MSW programs!

MROD,

I spoke to an admissions persons and she told me my review is complete and that the first round of letters have been sent out but I haven't got one!! I was waitlisted at CSULB but that program is my bottom choice anyway. I just want to hear from SD!!

Tracey

Hey Everyone! Great to see that these boards about MSW programs has picked up since I've checked last. @ MSW Bound and @ Forensic2012, I also applied to CSUDH! So you're not alone, yay. And I found out back in December that I was accepted since they're on rolling admissions. I was beyond happy because I just wanted to get into ONE at least, I'm not picky...I just want to know my future has a plan! And I chose the concentration in Community Capacity because I may want to do both LCSW and Administrative eventually and only SDSU and dominguez hills have anything that involves a community based/administration program out of all the cal states.

I also applied to Cal state LA (side note: I'm a little worried now because when I called up last week in the end of Feb. they told me that since I turned in my app. by the Dec. 15 priority deadline that I'd find out in the beginning of March, but someone on here said they already got in like half way through Feb.) it seems like they could have done a first pick round and then will either be accepting waitlisted second picks or rejections? Because that person said they had to decide by March 5th which just passed this week...like CSULA is waiting to see who accepts/rejects and go from there....hmm. Oh and again to "Forensic 2012", I also applied to the CSULA Forensic option, and I did go to the informational meeting and they did mention that out of their three options, Family/Children comes 1st as a choice for people, aging and families 2nd, and forensics 3rd, so it is the least chosen out of the three which helps us out maybe just a tad lol.

Anyways, I did find out from schools I called or went to an informational session for, that in general it's best to always apply EARLY. I did not apply really early but I did my best for my own circumstances (got my four in between mid Nov. through the end of Dec.). I think anyone on here who does not get into any school this time should just keep their head up, remember that one year really isn't the end of the world and to gain even more experience and apply first thing next year because every school I called looks at the apps in the order they are received even if they are not on rolling admissions

And lastly...did anyone apply to other cal states up north? I applied to San Francisco State and San Jose State as well. I know SF is very competitive and they also got rid of two of their concentrations and now only have Family/Child Welfare options. San Jose has a great program from what I hear, and is the first cal state actually first public college in california, so their program I assume is very competitive...anyone know anything else? I couldn't make it to an info. session.

Hey Everyone! Great to see that these boards about MSW programs has picked up since I've checked last. @ MSW Bound and @ Forensic2012, I also applied to CSUDH! So you're not alone, yay. And I found out back in December that I was accepted since they're on rolling admissions. I was beyond happy because I just wanted to get into ONE at least, I'm not picky...I just want to know my future has a plan! And I chose the concentration in Community Capacity because I may want to do both LCSW and Administrative eventually and only SDSU and dominguez hills have anything that involves a community based/administration program out of all the cal states.

I also applied to Cal state LA (side note: I'm a little worried now because when I called up last week in the end of Feb. they told me that since I turned in my app. by the Dec. 15 priority deadline that I'd find out in the beginning of March, but someone on here said they already got in like half way through Feb.) it seems like they could have done a first pick round and then will either be accepting waitlisted second picks or rejections? Because that person said they had to decide by March 5th which just passed this week...like CSULA is waiting to see who accepts/rejects and go from there....hmm. Oh and again to "Forensic 2012", I also applied to the CSULA Forensic option, and I did go to the informational meeting and they did mention that out of their three options, Family/Children comes 1st as a choice for people, aging and families 2nd, and forensics 3rd, so it is the least chosen out of the three which helps us out maybe just a tad lol.

Anyways, I did find out from schools I called or went to an informational session for, that in general it's best to always apply EARLY. I did not apply really early but I did my best for my own circumstances (got my four in between mid Nov. through the end of Dec.). I think anyone on here who does not get into any school this time should just keep their head up, remember that one year really isn't the end of the world and to gain even more experience and apply first thing next year because every school I called looks at the apps in the order they are received even if they are not on rolling admissions

And lastly...did anyone apply to other cal states up north? I applied to San Francisco State and San Jose State as well. I know SF is very competitive and they also got rid of two of their concentrations and now only have Family/Child Welfare options. San Jose has a great program from what I hear, and is the first cal state actually first public college in california, so their program I assume is very competitive...anyone know anything else? I couldn't make it to an info. session.

You know, I didn't even think of applying to any up north, but you're right, I've heard really good things about SF State.

I want to second what you said about applying early to Cal State LA. The way they described it at the informational meeting was that those who applied before the December 15th/16th deadline (I forget which it was) are competing with one another for spots. THEN, those who submitted their applications AFTER the deadline are competing with one another for spaces that are AVAILABLE. So, let's assume that there's 100 spots and the folks who submitted before the deadline, they fill 90 spots. So, that means all those folks who submit AFTER the deadline are competing with one another for the last 10 slots.

I personally think it's a little unfair because you can be a really good applicant, but if you turn it in after the deadline, you might be screwed. This, I believe, also hurts Cal State LA because they may be accepting "so-so" applicants the first round and missing out on really good applicants simply because they missed out on a deadline. If it were up to me, I think everyone should be compared to each other within each year, but again, that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I thought it was weird that I had to send them my letter of intent by March 5th - this seemed rather soon to me. Plus. I also think it's kind of weird because a lot of folks are still waiting for other responses so I'm sure many others have done this where they sent in their letter of intent "just in case," because the lady I spoke to on the phone said it's more like a "holding your seat," and that you can withdraw if you decide not to attend, so of course I want my seat held since I haven't heard much from my other schools lol.

Oh and another thing that was odd about the Letter of Intent packet I received from Cal State LA - they asked me to fill out this field placement thing, which is totally okay, but in addition, asked me for a written response to like 7 questions (mine ended up being 3 pages long). I was like, what the heck, I thought the essay (proving myself) part was over since I already got in!

Edited by rjose

Yeah rjose, I think a lot of people will be pulling out of CSULA once they hear from other schools later! At least that's a good thing to know if I'm waitlisted lol. At this point though, I'm pretty convinced that I'm waitlisted or just didn't get in because I didn't get in during the first rounds of acceptance it seems. I'm content though since I at least made it into one program! And you got into both LA and LB that's great! I would be very happy if I were you because i've only heard great things about long beach's program, but it really depends on which concentration you want since they only offer two if I remember correctly. And that's interesting about CSULA's placement questions. I wonder if the locations get to help choose which student they want to accept to do their field hours there or something...like they get to read your answers and stuff? I dunno but it seems like you might just get placed somewhere for the first quarter then get to choose for the rest maybe.

Lisbeth,

It's good to know there are others that applied and have been accepted into CSUDH. I cannot for the life of me remember if I selected the mental health or community building component... Nonetheless, I will be attending DH in the fall and am extatic about it.

I had to go on campus about a month ago, and was told that they did not have very many spots available... Not to mention, the Admin Assistant was processing applications as she told me this.

I so understand how these people will feel as I was not granted acceptance because I waited until the last possible day to turn in my application... This year, I turned my app in to the office in November. Like you, I attended informationals for CSUDH, CSULA (hated it), CSULB (loved it, but would have prefered a broader scope as regards to concentrations), and UCLA (loved it, but the hours of class and the 405 made the thought of attending lack luster).

With all of that said, where will you attend in the fall?!

Has anyone applied to CSUF? I had an interview with them in January, and I felt really uneasy with the interviewers. I am just curious if anyone else had an interview, and if anyone has received a response of approval or denial for fall 2012?

I recently was accepted for the MSW at CSUN (yay!), and accepted, but still curious about Fullerton. Please join in if you know anything?

Yes cschapman. I had an interview with CSUN earlier in february, and it actually went really well! However, I understand that there are several interviewers that interview, and I was thankful I had a very easy going and nice professor that interviewed me. She made you feel comfortable, was interested, and engaging. Just the way I would expect a social worker to be. It should last no more than half and hour, and it is pretty much nonformal. they go over your PS, and anything that they are curious about my interviewer asked me to elaborate. Two weeks later, I was accepted!

As opposed to Cal State Fullerton's interviews...oh man... they drilled me in that interview, and the two people that interviewed me were very bourgeois, and they made me very uncomfortable.

I also had a friend who did an interview with a different person, and he asked her to talk about herself, and her interests, very laid back.

Good luck on the interview, as I am sure you will do well. Stay confidant, but don't act arrogant. :)

I am SO glad I found this page! I've been going crazy trying to wait for their decision!! I applied to CSU Chico, Sacramento, San Jose, San Francisco and Long Beach. I have already hear back from Long Beach and have been places in "pending status". I haven't heard back from any of the others, but I turned all my application in well before their due dates. Anyone heard anything else? Thanks a ton!! Can't wait to hear something (hopefully good news!! :) )

@LittleLO i also applied to CSU Chico and Sac State. Havent heard a thing back from them. However, we should know our status for Chico state by the end of march and Sac State by the end of April. I started to turn in my financial aid info for sac state and also my application for sac state is "pending GAR review" not sure what that means. But i really want to get into Sac State...would be a dream for me.

Hello, I'm not waiting for decisions and am a prospective student, but I was wondering, are all the Cal States extremely difficult to get into or just CSULB? And why is CSULB so hard to get into particularly?

@ MSW Bound, that's funny that you can't remember which concentration you chose lol. I know it stated it on the page that you had to turn into the department for acceptance. As of right now, I've only been accepted to CSUDH so we may very well be studying together! I chose the community capacity building concentration. I was just saying up above how I hope to be put in CSULA's waitlist because it seems as though they've accepted their first round already and what's left will be for the rest of us. According to the department I'll find out this coming week. Either way though I'm totally stoked that I got into a program. That said, I'd absolutely be ecstatic if I got in anywhere else so I could have a choice to make lol. And san jose's program I chose I really like too (their health and public health option)...I like it equally to the community choice at dominguez.

@ LittleLo it's nice to see someone who applied to San Jose and San Francisco, I almost applied to Chico but decided I just didn't want to live there, my mom lives in Redding so it would have been really close to her, but it was just too far from a larger urban area for me (great housing prices though). Keep me posted about SF and San Jose! I'll let you know if I hear anything from either too.

@Blueled, nice to see you on this post too. As far as Cal States being competitive:

1.First it's because the economy is not so great so there has been a surge in applications in the last few years compared to maybe the past, basically people can't find jobs and so they're going back to school to get more education so they don't just waste their time without work...and also they're choosing cal states more now because of their extremely low cost relative to other schools.

2. Certain CSUs are competitive because of different reasons, in general certain CSUs are competitive because of their general rankings on websites like US News report or other similar sites. They rank the CSUs against each other and other public/private schools and they look at such things as quality of teaching, career prospects, graduation rates and levels of debt accrued. These rankings can be iffy since such things as "career prospects" or "quality of teaching" can be very difficult to rate and the statistics are definitely bias in some way or another (example: your career prospects could have everything to do with your experience that couples your education and how much effort you put into job searching etc. ) Regardless, these rankings make people (especially young impressionable people) talk and talk and talk until everyone knows which school is ranked "better" than the others. I know from this type of talking that CSULB is ranked well among the cal states for various reasons. Also San Luis Obispo has been ranked number one for years...but that's because of things like they are amazing in engineering and science and still have a low cost compared to equally ranked other science schools etc. So as you can see depending on what you study these rankings could mean nothing.

3. Location is another thing, I mean who doesn't want to live by the ocean and have great weather and a cal state that's cheap and that people say is a great school (CSULB or SDSU).

4. Certain schools are just a lot bigger than others too, so they have more departments = more to offer all around and more people to talk about it. All of these things add to the competitiveness of these programs (aka how many good applicants apply).

In general the MSW programs that are better known or those that are in Southern California (because of weather and it's SoCal so people want to live here) these will be competitive. It's simply that less people go to the other programs and less people talk about them. So even if they have a great program, it's less talked about and therefore less people in turn apply each time. Example from myself, I almost applied to CSU East Bay too, but the location is definitely not as great as where I'm living right now (for me that is) and I've heard less about it. When I called them up and told them that CSULA has like over 700 applicants a year the lady laughed and said something like "lol yeah we don't have that many applicants, we have around 200+ each year". This is because LA county has around 17 million people in it. And then there's people who Want to move here! I mean wow right? That right there makes CSULA, which is totally a great price, competitive. LA is where people want to be just like New York or San Diego etc. the weather, or the job prospects, or the entertainment business. So if you're wondering why then all that which I just mentioned is why they are competitive right now lol. And keep in mind there are those programs that are not as competitive and that does not necessarily mean they are not good programs. You just might have to move somewhere you won't Love for 2 years, but I would consider applying to at least one school that's not as well known to up your chances of getting in somewhere if your biggest goal is to get into at least One program. If you don't mind waiting and location or something else is a bigger deal for you, then if you don't get in where you want just gain more experience in any way possible and try again.

oh and as if my last post wasn't crazy long (don't read all parts unless you're interested in CSUs competitiveness) CSULB and UCs and private schools will choose to be competitive within their own department based on how they want to be perceived and because they Can or Have to be more selective now that they have so many people applying. Like for all medical fields and even social work because it's a much needed field even during recessions, it becomes more competitive the more people decide to go back to school for those things. So CSULB might have a higher GPA average or accept people who have more experience because they either want to seem like a more prestigious school so they're selective, or because they have to choose them because what else sets the people apart from each other?

Anyone know anything about sac state's program? i applied there and wont hear a decision till april...sucks big time, kinda worried about it too. When i went to drop off my application i noticed a lot of people who were older than me, i assumed they would have more experience. I felt intimidated a bit. Some peoples packet was huge compared to mine. Im 21 and graduating from UC Davis, i have 2 internships and been there about over a year on each. I know Sac State does this "point" thing and noticed i dont have any paid experience in human services. The lady told me it may or may not effect my score...anyone have any idea with sac state???

Thanks for the feedback! I had some major transcript issues with San Jose, which finally all got figured out last week, so I may not here from the for a little while considering they are just now looking at my application! ugh, soo annoying! hopefully it wont negatively affect my admissions status!

@aalariemy, I would not worry too much about sac state...i have 2 friends in their msw program and one of them barely had any experience in human services and she got accepted. I also read her personal statement and it really wasn't all that great. I applied there also and am really hoping to get in!! good luck to both of us!!

Sorry to post AGAIN, but I'm an undergraduate at Chico State right now and was just told that their admission decisions are coming out this week and that they want to get them done before our spring break (which is next week), keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!