CSU's: Anyone accepted yet?

bounce

I just called into Chico State's Social Work department and they said that they would be emailing out decisions today and tomorrow for the 1 year and 2 year programs. They told me that they will be accepting 21 one year students and 30 two year students. Out of the three programs (1yr, 2yr & 3yr) they had ~150 applicants. I also received an email that CSUC's email server will be down tell 3/26/12 for maintance starting today at 5pm. I don't know if it will effect them emailing out the offers today and tomorrow but wish I asked....

Finally heard from Chico, got rejected!! :( but apparently they had a ton of older applicants with tons of experience this year!! oh well, their loss! still waiting to hear from a few more, so hopefully I will get better news!

They did it through email. It was sent out to me today via my email that was on my application. Sorry to hear that you didn't make it in LittleLo. I wish you luck with your other applications.

Aalariemy, read my post from earlier today. You could still hear from them tomorrow.

So I heard from CSULB on Tuesday. Apparently the will not be processing my application because it was decided to be incomplete. Said I am missing a LoR and my stats syllabus "does not provide enough info to evaluate." My boss who sent the LoR has the certificate of mailing so I know I can contest that, but does anyone know why they would say my statistics syllabus isn't good enough? What am I supposed to do about that? It was just a generic Introductory Statistics class taken at a community college and the syllabus outlined everything we learned. I'm confused. And somewhat pissed off.

Also, does anyone know if there is a deposit to intend to enroll at San Jose? I'm still waiting on SFSU and UCB but I don't want to lose my spot at SJSU!

Aalariemy,

I did get admitted to the advanced standing program!

Congrats on getting admitted!! Is the advance standing program the 1 year? I heard that one was really competitive also! I am an undergraduate at Chico right now and know a ton of people that applied to that program and didn't get in, so you must have some really great stats!! congrats again!!

Omg this stuff sounds like a nightmare! I mean the two of you who say that chico and long beach said your apps were incomplete? Ok angelamarie32 I would totally fight those two reasons if I were you (although it might be too late?) But common if it states what you learned in the class I would e-mail the director of the program, and at least one or two others who are professors or some title that matters who might look at apps. The assistant who I spoke with at CSULB months ago was a total you know what, I had to go around her and find another assistant to a diff. part of the department and then eventually found a good nice professor to answer my questions and make me feel better. I never did finish applying there (wasted $50 bucks! CSUmentor) because I really didn't like their attitude. My question dealt with wheather or not it would be ok to have one of my work references use personal letterhead since he works for LAUSD right now, but they are not permitted to write on LAUSD letterhead unless the person they are writing for also works for LAUSD and they also have to have an ethics committee usually review the letter. Anyways the admin assistant was really rude and told me in all the years she's worked there they've never had a person not turn in a letter on "official letterhead" and I was like "OK but you understand that this has to do with LAUSD a really huge school system and that my reference could get in trouble?" He couldn't use where we both used to work either as letterhead because he didn't work there anymore & they have strict policies too...anyways, they basically made me feel like this issue (which wasn't anyone's fault anyway) was going to prevent me from getting in!! A professor did eventually say it should be fine and didn't seem worried at all, but even she didn't answer that right away, but played phone tag for like two weeks first. Whatever, point is try to fight something lame like that at least once or twice to make sure they are serious and they didn't make some silly mistake...sometimes the people in charge of opening things and looking over things don't do them right! Also, when I was accepted to CSUDH the admin assistant there (who is actually realy nice) computed my last 90 quarter/60 semester unit GPA Wrong...goshhhh I was really upset, I actually called to make sure she did correctly because the last courses I took at a JC for nursing count and she sure enough didn't count them...but luckily in this case the conversation ended with her saying "well it really doesn't matter because you got into the program"....and I was like Excuse Me? lol So I didn't even get to find out through mail, she just heard how annoyed I was because the GPA was 2 whole points off and she's like ok well you got in. Definitely call them up! Double check at least since there's a lot of human error.

Im really annoyed at the fact that the school did not even take a look at my application. I have emailed them to make sure everything was there days before the deadline, i didnt receive a response until a month later. Chico is very unprofessional, looks like i only have Sacramento State as my last school. I really feel like i am competitive, My GPA for the last 90 units is a 3.4, i have 2 internships/volunteer with a year in each. These state schools need to notify students if there is anything incomplete, we all make mistakes sometimes dont deny entry and force us to wait an entire year to try again.

I am sorry that happened to you. If you do believe it is complete, you should ask if they have an appeals process and maybe you can appeal the decision. A family member of mine recently did a master´s at Chico State in another field and had quite a lot to say about the lack of response he got from the administrative people there. He had quite a few hiccups during the course of his program with transfer units, financial aid, etc, etc. I am sure it doesn´t happen to everyone but, he learned to keep good records in case he needed to prove something to them.

Edited by allyba

Thanks LittleLo, the advanced standing is the one year program. But it means I have to go to summer school.

Aalariemy, sorry to hear that happened to you. I would definitely appeal the decision if you feel you submitted a complete app. They're on spring break though this week. I sent off an email Thursday and didn't get a response.

Well, I don't know if hearing others are having issues makes me feel better or worse.

I applied for the MPPA at CSUS

I submitted all my paperwork (in person, all sealed) before the priority deadline.. October 2011. I called in January to find out if I was accepted and they replied -VERY RUDELY- that it was my fault that my application was incomplete. I called previously twice to make sure the application was complete.

My reference letters weren't exactly what they expected. How am I supposed to find that out if they don't tell me? Honestly, you ask for a sealed envelope from the sender, don't expect the aplicant to know what it's inside!!

Since, I've called just about every week and they still don't get around to reviewing my paperwork at the admissions office so the department can't make any decisions.

Such manner of conducting business is totally unaproppiate and has made me hesitate on my interest in Sac State.

Found out why my application was incomplete. I called in they finally told me that my official transcript was never received. They application said 1 official transcript, but the director said there was supposed to be one official transcript sent to the graduate office and the other sent to the department. Chico state did not highlight this, Sac State required 2 transcripts im assuming one to the graduate office and the other would be sent to the department. Well, now i await for Sac State.

Found out why my application was incomplete. I called in they finally told me that my official transcript was never received. They application said 1 official transcript, but the director said there was supposed to be one official transcript sent to the graduate office and the other sent to the department. Chico state did not highlight this, Sac State required 2 transcripts im assuming one to the graduate office and the other would be sent to the department. Well, now i await for Sac State.

wow...that is SOO annoying!! sorry to hear that! It's so ridiculous they wouldn't notify you about something like that before it was too late! I'm still waiting to hear from Sac State too!! Hopefully they decide soon!

Well, I don't know if hearing others are having issues makes me feel better or worse.

I applied for the MPPA at CSUS

I submitted all my paperwork (in person, all sealed) before the priority deadline.. October 2011. I called in January to find out if I was accepted and they replied -VERY RUDELY- that it was my fault that my application was incomplete. I called previously twice to make sure the application was complete.

My reference letters weren't exactly what they expected. How am I supposed to find that out if they don't tell me? Honestly, you ask for a sealed envelope from the sender, don't expect the aplicant to know what it's inside!!

Since, I've called just about every week and they still don't get around to reviewing my paperwork at the admissions office so the department can't make any decisions.

Such manner of conducting business is totally unaproppiate and has made me hesitate on my interest in Sac State.

I agree!! I have had SO many problems with Sac State regarding transcripts and such! I have called TONS of times because my student center says I still need my college transcripts, with a status of "initiated". Whatever that means! Everything was sent on time so they keep telling me just to wait for the person to scan it into the computer, which of course holds up the department from making a decision! SO frustrating!!

I applied to SFSU MSW Program for fall 2012. I check my admission status every day, 2-3 times a day. Does anyone know if they email you or not? I went in to the application process having NO clue that it was one of the most competitive programs to get into in the nation. I had already started my application so I just said why not finish it, and kept going. I am nervous now, but I feel like my statement, and my letters were very strong, as was my GPA. I think it's kind of lame how much emphasis all of these programs put on work experience. I have a few seperate volunteer sources and work sources within social work, but aren't we going into these programs in order to find work? Has anyone heard from SFSU either way? I turned my application in right near the deadlne, but I don't think that will make a big difference. Ok, thanks for your time! Good luck!

I applied to SFSU MSW Program for fall 2012. I check my admission status every day, 2-3 times a day. Does anyone know if they email you or not? I went in to the application process having NO clue that it was one of the most competitive programs to get into in the nation. I had already started my application so I just said why not finish it, and kept going. I am nervous now, but I feel like my statement, and my letters were very strong, as was my GPA. I think it's kind of lame how much emphasis all of these programs put on work experience. I have a few seperate volunteer sources and work sources within social work, but aren't we going into these programs in order to find work? Has anyone heard from SFSU either way? I turned my application in right near the deadlne, but I don't think that will make a big difference. Ok, thanks for your time! Good luck!

Same! I didn't know it was a competitive! I feel like I have a really strong application, but only about a year of experience :unsure:

I think it is pretty lame about the work experience too. I mean, I get it, it's important, I just wish they could see by my application that I was really busy being a great student! Obviously I want to do social work or else I wouldn't have chosen to spend a lot of money, time, and hard work getting a graduate degree, ya know?! haha :D Isn't the point of going to grad school to get the experience? haha Oh well, I haven't heard, but I'll let you know when I do!

Has anyone heard from sac state? I check my application every day, still nothing... I wish they'd say something like.. "you'll know by the end of April" or something of the sort :)

Silence keeps me guessing!