Northwestern

redherring

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to Northwestern this coming Fall. I'm planning to be there in June to start my research work early at the Chem department. I'm looking for roommates right now. If you guys are interested (and able to move in around June) please let me know.

Duncandam

I'm moving to Evanston in the fall for Northwestern's Communication Sciences and Disorders Ph.D. program. I'll be new to the area, so I'd love to get in touch with any other newbies! Also, anyone with advice on finding an affordable studio apartment/parking space there would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everybody, I am going for chemical eng.. :? :roll: :?:

like all of you, I would be happy to hear any info about housing arrangements... especially if someone knows good places for grads to live near campus. I did find some apt reviews from students here if anyone is interested: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/IL-Evanston.html

and feel free to pm me!

edit: anyone know anything about engelhart or mcmanus?

To all of you who will be new to Northwestern this year, here's my advice (as someone who moved here last year from philly for grad school):

Don't live in Evanston. It's very expensive.

I live in Roger's Park (where the NU shuttle picks me up conveniently 5 or so blocks away) and I have an amazing apartment (850 sq. ft) with really reasonable rent ($800ish) and I love my neighborhood. I don't live with roommates, and I live completely on my stipend.

If I were living in Evanston, I would have a much smaller apartment, for much more rent, with only Evanston out my front door. In Roger's Park, I've got all of Chicago just one train ride away.

Anyway, the point is, consider living in other parts of Chicago -- it's worth it. Not to mention you'll be holed up in your lab so much, that it's nice to get out to other parts of Chicago instead of being in Evanston all the time.

My two cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm officially headed to Evanston in September. When should I move? I was thinking about getting there some time around Labor Day. I really have nothing holding me here until I start school, so I see a few weeks early as a way to acclimated with my new city and finding a good place to live. Is that too soon, or should I start looking even sooner? I have a friend with whom I can crash in Chicago, so I think I might take a week before I move in to look for housing. Suggestions?

Well, I'm officially headed to Evanston in September. When should I move? I was thinking about getting there some time around Labor Day. I really have nothing holding me here until I start school, so I see a few weeks early as a way to acclimated with my new city and finding a good place to live. Is that too soon, or should I start looking even sooner? I have a friend with whom I can crash in Chicago, so I think I might take a week before I move in to look for housing. Suggestions?

All the apartments I've contacted in Evanston told me to view their apartments about 5-6 weeks before my move-in date. In fact, I'm heading to Chicago soon to visit relatives, and the real estate agents are refusing to show me their apartments because they don't yet know their availability for Sept. I guess there is such a thing as looking too early, but a few weeks beforehand shouldn't be a problem for you.

Hi everyone!

Am going to Northwestern for German Lit and Critical Theory. I am very excited! :)

Now, what's all this about not living in Evanston? I was hoping to live as close to Uni as possible... Not a good idea?? :shock:

I live close to Main and Chicago in Evanston right now. My apartment is decent size and I pay less than 700/month including heat and water. In addition, my apt is less than 5 minutes walking to the El train station and the NU intercampus bus stop. It's not as bad as a lot of people said to live in Evanston. It's a very nice area. However, you may be able to find better deal in Roger Park, but you will have to commute further. I'm gonna be an official graduate student in Sept,, but working in a chem lab at northwestern for the summer. Let me know if you guys wanna hang out.

After accepting my admission offer from Northwestern for the Chem PhD program, I decided to defer my enrollment for year--so I'll be starting Fall 2010. I'm excited about my gap year, but I'm jealous of you guys moving to Chicago this summer! I'll have to hit you guys up for tips next summer when I start scrambling for an apartment.

I live close to Main and Chicago in Evanston right now. My apartment is decent size and I pay less than 700/month including heat and water. In addition, my apt is less than 5 minutes walking to the El train station and the NU intercampus bus stop. It's not as bad as a lot of people said to live in Evanston. It's a very nice area. However, you may be able to find better deal in Roger Park, but you will have to commute further. I'm gonna be an official graduate student in Sept,, but working in a chem lab at northwestern for the summer. Let me know if you guys wanna hang out.

Hi duncandam!

Thanks for your post. I was actually looking at a few places in the area around Mail El stop and found the prices to be reasonable. you mentioned it is a nice area... If you have time, would you mind telling me a bit more about the area? Is it safe? Are there a lot of coffee shops around? Are there grocery stores? Is it residential or are there restaurants/shops etc.?

Many, many thanks in advance!

There is a star buck on Main (Conner b/w chicago and Main), 1 to 2 minutes walk to the El-stop. Right there is also the Northwestern intercampus shuttle bus stop, so when you have to Wildcard you can get on the bus for free (I have been doing that for the last week, since I'm working in the chem department right now). Jewel - Oscos (grocery store) and Whole foods (organic food store) are right down the street, a block from Main street. There is a mexican restaurant on Main, next to the metra station, subway at the corner of main and chicago, greek restaurant on Chicago, Thai restaurant about a week toward Northwestern direction, as well as an Ethiopian restaurant. There are many more in Davis street (downtown Evanston) only 15 minutes walk (about 3 blocks or 2 El-stops). The area is very safe, I have walked around at mid night and have no problem at all. However, you still need to be careful since you are still in one of the biggest cities in America. FYI, I live close to Main and Chicago. Main is the pretty long road so I'm not sure about other parts of Main. However, the area between main and Dempster are very good to live according to many graduate students walking in my lab.

It's also very easy to get to Chicago from Main. You can hop in the El-Train at Main, switch to Red line at Howard and get to downtown with only 2 dollars. If you like ethnic food, you can go to Argyle (tons of Vietnamese and Chinese foods) or go to Chinatown which is much further away on the south side of Chicago. They are both red line El-train stops.

Good luck with apt hunting

Anyone have any recommendation as to the best way to get in touch with other grad students for potential roommates? I'm already looking at apartments and think it might not be a terrible idea, and I've started looking through roommates.com, but obviously I'm not gonna pay for that site until perhaps I'd need to. Any suggestions?

Anyone have any recommendation as to the best way to get in touch with other grad students for potential roommates? I'm already looking at apartments and think it might not be a terrible idea, and I've started looking through roommates.com, but obviously I'm not gonna pay for that site until perhaps I'd need to. Any suggestions?

Craigslist isn't so bad, there are a ton of grad students looking for a place right now, you should have some luck there.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use