Graduate institute Geneva 2012 - 2013

Futurelawyerchick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got an acceptance last week for the Master in Development Studies. Waiting to hear back on financial aid still (they said by March 5). Didn't get all my materials in until early January, but that was just because one of my professors didn't send his recommendation in on time for the December deadline (everything else had been sent in by then) and then they didn't receive it the first time he sent it so he had to send it again a couple weeks later. So they might have evaluated it early because the only reason I didn't make the early deadline was that one recommendation. To tell you the truth, though, I was never quite sure what the point of the early deadline was since they didn't specifically say that they were going to notify people who submitted their applications for the eary deadline before everyone else. Okay, that was just a random aside.

Do you think you'd go if you got in? Geneva was my top choice (location is great, cost is great, chance to work on my French, etc), but I don't really know that much about the program, other than the information available on their website.

Edited by Alamako

IHEID is probably my top choice. My one concern is that, absent funding, I wouldn't be able to enjoy what Geneva has to offer given how prohibitively expensive it can be. We'll just have to see. Fingers crossed we start hearing sometime in the next two weeks.

I am with you lecorbeau. It is probably my top choice as well because of the location. I think the IHEID admissions representative I met with at the LA APSIA fair really convinced me, especially because of the high levels of funding they seem to give out. Even though I got an $18,000/yr scholarship from my only response so far, Korbel, it would still cost about $20K more over the two years than being unfunded at IHEID. (I included estimated living costs/accommodation for both schools.)

I hope the MIA admissions people update the follow up page soon! It has been stuck at "En évaluation" for (seemingly) too long now.

Heard today from the MIA program. I'm waiting to hear on other decisions from US schools, and of course on funding. I spent a semester in Geneva in undergrad, so I know a bit about the school, but I'm curious to hear from others what they know about it and why they've chosen it. I also don't know a ton aside from the website and bits that I heard several years ago.

Thanks!

I also just got an acceptance for the MIA program. Really interested in hearing your insight. Not sure about going, I have a couple of other applications still pending and also one other offer so far. Even if I attend, I'm thinking of switching to the MA Political Science/International Relations, which is supposed to be possible. It's all a blur at the moment...

I applied for the january deadline, same story, one of my referees was too late for october. So if i got it right, early applications received their answers this week?

I applied for the IR/Political Science Master. I didn't know that it is possible so switch from MIA to the IR/Pol science track. It looks like Geneva only takes 20 IR/Pol Science applicants, but way more MIA people, so I guess the latter one is more competetive to get in to.

I have quite a good degree and a high GPA with cum laude honours, but not a lot of experience (only one internship). My trump is I worked as a research assistant for a professor who recently published some articles together with one of the profs from Geneva, so i pretty much speculate that that'll get me in somehow...

...it seems so long unti end march and my feet are getting itchy

Got accepted for Masters in international economics (MIS)

Anyone else here applied for the same?

90% going here for sure.

Just waiting on some US schools.

I cant believe I got in. This was my top choice.

Hi everyone, congratulations on your acceptances. I was wondering if any of you considered the Unievrsity of Geneva International Organizations MBA in your research for graduate programs and if so, what do you think of the program? I've been accepted to the program and it sounds like a great inlet to the NGO/IO world, but I'm having a hard time finding any information on what other institutions or people in the international arena think of it. I've also been accepted to some US MPA/MPP programs and am having the hardest time deciding which one to attend.

Thanks in advance.

Thought I'd share this: I called IHEID this morning and funding/scholarship results will be released AS OF (à partir de) March 5th, and not all ON March 5th. In other words, it's going to be a slow trickle that starts today and ends who-knows-when.

Her advice to me? Just check your admission status every day. Ha.

Thanks for the update. I've been checking the application status nonstop all morning looking for financial aid information and was just revising my thinking to "maybe they mean the week of March 5." Looks like even that was overly optimistic . . .

As far as I have researched, this school has excellent reputation for IR plus the location couldn't be any better. But I'd like to know what people here have to say about it. I too have applied to some US schools,waiting for the results but I already dread the financial part. Will it really be such a big disadvantage to not attend in US and rather study in Europe ?

I think it depends on what your goals are - if you want to live and work in Europe, then the Graduate Institute would probably be great. If you want to live and work in the US, a US school is probably better. Personally since I'm from the US, the chance to live in Europe for two years and hopefully perfect my French is pretty appealing. The Institute seems to be highly enough regarded (at least from online posts I've read, haha) so for me I don't think having some slightly better reputation at a US school would really make a difference.

Although I haven't decided whether I'd like to work in Europe or US, the idea of studying in Geneva is actually quite appealing. I'm from India so both places will be new and exciting for me. I think I agree that a slightly better US school won't make much of a difference. Thanks. Just waiting on the scholarship decision.