Graduate institute Geneva 2012 - 2013

Futurelawyerchick

Ok, so guyz today I called the Institute and asked questions about the scholarship waiting list. They told me that we might hear about waiting list decisions throughout the next week or two weeks. They also said, that it is theoretically possible not to have any answer by April 15th. If so, she told me to call them on April 14th and they will let us know the decision before the payment deadline.

As it turned out they have ranking within the waiting list. The lady told me my chances depend on which number I have within the list. She said they are busy sending admissions now and can not look up my number, but if I call her next week, then they might tell me my number within the list.

Well I still haven't gotten it in the mail, but it seems that I bugged them enough through their admissions email that they just scanned it and emailed the documents to me :)

Theey emailed me a scanned copy of everything as well. They mentioned this was a response to my enquiries, funny thing since I didn't send them any email regarding my admission packet hahah.

But never the less I am less paranoid now, knowing that this is for real. :)

Anyone who was wait listed got a decision their scholarship?

I'm just so excited about getting accepted to IHEID with scholarship! (MA International History) I was a little confused about where to finally go but this offer is too good to turn down. Anyone else planning to go there ?

I haven't received the admission package yet, I hope it comes soon...

Edited by Urvi

About the scholarship I kwon that it is really difficult to have confirmed it for the second year . In fact, in their FAQ there is written that about 20% of FIRST YEAR student received a scholarship !!

For those who are in the waiting list for scholarship, my letter says that I'll received the scholarship only if somebody refuse it and that the decision will be available within 30 April !!!! (but the deadline is 15 April )

Also, since the scholarship offer is for one year, how high would be the chances of them renewing this offer next year ?

I tried asking them that directly and didn't really get an answer (more a "we can't share this information" type response). I do have a friend who is finishing up with the program right now and I asked her about that and she said that renewal wasn't universal but likely if you have good recommendations from your professors and good grades the first year.

Even if it isn't renewed it's still way cheaper than tuition most other places (for an American, anyway).

Edited by Alamako

I have a couple of questions about the exchange programs. Do you know how competitive the Fletcher and Elliott Exchange Programs are? Do we have to pay their tuition or only Grad Institute tuition for that time? I tried e-mailing, but haven't received a response yet.

wow!! and have you received this news because you had written them a mail to have some expications? or the application status is changed ?

I hadn't emailed them, in fact they emailed me with the official letter dated as of today and said they've sent it by traditional mail too. And yes my application status changed, but I checked my mail first and not the website.

Hi!

Can anyone of those that have already accepted admission at the institute look up the price of on-campus housing? I can't find it anywhere and haven't completely made up my mind yet.

Thanks,

Toni

Hi!

Can anyone of those that have already accepted admission at the institute look up the price of on-campus housing? I can't find it anywhere and haven't completely made up my mind yet.

Thanks,

Toni

hey

in the package you'll receive, they have provided a brochure which has information regarding the housing.

different categories of rooms and roughly pricing:

room with semi pvt bathroom: 650-740 CHF

room with pvt bathroom: 740- 840 CHF

Studio: 940-1040 CHF

Thanks.

For those interested:

I talked to admissions:

1. Last year, there were 6 applications for 2 spots at Fletcher. GWU usually has three spots, but it's more flexible. Academic merit in the first semester is the single most important factor.

2. The house has about 120 slots for first-year. Alltogether, they expect to have an incoming class (all the programs) of a little more than 300. Assuming not everyone applies, chances of getting in are about 1:2/3. The factors that they consider are: 1. Financial situation, 2. Distance and 3. Academic merit. Seeing as they have a lot of people from Switzerland, people from the US should have a high chance of getting in. My home address is Germany, so I might have problems. We can also apply for housing at uni Geneva, which varies a lot. Not sure how much outside housing would cost.

3. They weren't quite clear regarding classes and how to take them as a MIA students, but it seems to be first come-first serve basis for non-priority classes.

I'm currently leaning towards Geneva, just because it's a lot cheaper than my second option. I still haven't decided if I want to switch to MIS IR, but I'm currently leaning to not switching, because most of the classes I want to take are in other departments. I would love to take one or two of the core MIS IR classes, but I'm not sure how possible that is. I'll definitely be applying to Fletcher for third semester, so I plan to work my butt of in the first semester to get a perfect 6.0.

I'm def. considering doing a PhD afterwards, which is possible with the MIA if you're great (you can even do the Fast-Track option if "you're exceptional"), even though they recommend studying the MIS if you want to pursue a PhD. I'll see about classes next year and see if their MIS classes become less security-oriented, otherwise I'll stay in the MIA and make that word.

My second option is SAIS, with 20.000 fellowship, so I'm looking at 80 K in debt. How do you think does Geneva compare to SAIS?

the housing offered by heid is quite expensive, i think you should be able to find a place in town for around 400franc. also, if you want to learn french, the heid housing isn't the best option as you will live with a lot of internationals and not too many francophones

meur: That's good information to have. Do you have tips on how to find a place without being there? I probably won't be in Europe before mid-august, and I'd like to attend the French course (I took French and can read it, but don't feel confident to ... buy a loaf of bread^^). So I'd have to find a place from afar, which made institute housing so attractive for me. I'm no sure how to find a place for 400 francs though, I've been roaming the internet and it didn't seem possible.

Learning french is def. a consideration. At the same time, I'd really like to be close to my classmates to build good relations with them. I never lived on campus, but found it was much easier to find friends if you live close to uni than if you have to drive for 30 minutes or more.

I haven't really quite figured out what to do, but it's looking more and more likely that I'll be going to Geneva in the fall. I'd just like to make an informed decision.

in the admission package they send us you can also find some information on housing. i just gonna come to geneva in august and just couchsurf until i find a nice plays. looking for something from afar is always difficult and never turned out to be a good option (at least for me), so i prefer to get a feeling for the town first before a decide on where to live.

also, living in a proper flatshare has the advantage that you also get to know people from outside heid, also a nice thing i think

Yeah, I'd really love to do that as well, but I don't have the time. I really need a 6.0 in my first semester for Fletcher, so I need to be settled when classes start. I also want to take some more classes to take advantage of the year at IHEID in the proper way and go to a lot of events, so couchsurfing when I'm starting school is not an option.

I'll probably look online and see if I can find something, but still apply for (the cheaper) housing through the institute.