UT Austin Acceptances should be coming soon

Supernovasky

That's what I hear from friends, people on this forum, and researching when the acceptances were sent out last year. I'm hoping to hear something this next week! UT Austin is going to be a HUGE barometer for my application. Not getting in there would probably cut me out from a couple other places I applied to. I'm nervous but excited at the same time.

Everyone ready for the decisions to start rolling in from all of these schools?

Its coming soon!

I've been locked away in my own private, mental hell thinking and anticipating this very notice. I guess that means your anxiety, Supernovasky, might actually have a parallel. What specialization(s) are you interested in?

I noticed that the acceptance offer is for the demography-sociology program. This seems to be a little different from the rest of the program. Does anyone think that might account for this irregular, single, sent on a saturday acceptance notice?

I'm falling apart here...

Well, someone is clearly reporting they got a saturday acceptance. You are correct, it does seem it is for the demography program, so maybe that explains the weird acceptance day.

I know though that in years past, there seemed to be two rounds... Jan 15-18th, and then the end of the month.

I'm checking my gmail compulsively right now lol...

Evelyn, the graduate secretary, is the one who sends the official e-mail acceptances. Also, there is not a special application for the demography program, as anyone accepted into the Sociology department can essentially join the Population Research Center. If this person did get officially accepted, then I would assume s/he received an e-mail from Evelyn yesterday, as Evelyn doesn't work on the weekends. If this is so, then I'd say the first round of acceptances have gone out. However, this person, I guess, could have been contacted by their potential advisor today (that they will be getting an official acceptance soon), and that could maybe explain why s/he heard on a Saturday. Maybe s/he will speak up?

Evelyn, the graduate secretary, is the one who sends the official e-mail acceptances. Also, there is not a special application for the demography program, as anyone accepted into the Sociology department can essentially join the Population Research Center. If this person did get officially accepted, then I would assume s/he received an e-mail from Evelyn yesterday, as Evelyn doesn't work on the weekends. If this is so, then I'd say the first round of acceptances have gone out. However, this person, I guess, could have been contacted by their potential advisor today (that they will be getting an official acceptance soon), and that could maybe explain why s/he heard on a Saturday. Maybe s/he will speak up?

and so the plot thickens....

ysjIk.gif

I am hoping the later part of that is true, being that the comment was "4 years, more information soon..."

Talking to the professor of interest that I've contacted there, I've learned that the true admissions process won't be over probably for another two weeks. She said that the applicant pool is very competitive this year. Here's to hoping that my level of competition can match!

Supernovasky, did she mention whether they had already made some cuts? A friend at UT told me that he knows someone that applied and called to check on the status of her application. She was no longer in the running. My freind recomended that I do the same, but I'm having trouble mustering the courage to do what is at best ambiguis, and at worst soul crushing rejection.

Edited by Palito

She said she "didn't know the status" and I was not going to push the issue any further. The point of the email was not to get any admissions information from her, just to keep contact with a professor that I can see myself working with. But it does feel good to know we've still got 2 weeks worth of aps... and my ap still says under review, so if some aps have already been denied, then our chances are up!

Right, I was just curious about any details that came with the exchange that you mentioned. Thanks for sharing, it definitely helped my anxiety!

I have no reason to believe that anyone beside my friend's acquaintance received notification of the committee's decision, as she contacted the graduate coordinator. But I guess one less person out of our way is good. Why does the feel like Survivor?

Edited by Palito

Right, I was just curious about any details that came with the exchange that you mentioned. Thanks for sharing, it definitely helped my anxiety!

I have no reason to believe that anyone beside my friend's acquaintance received notification of the committee's decision, as she contacted the graduate coordinator. But I guess one less person out of our way is good. Why does the feel like Survivor?

Because it IS kind of like survivor, lol. One less person is one slightly higher chance that either of us get admitted. UT Austin would be incredible wouldn't it? haha. Interesting that she contacted the graduate coordinator... from reading the comments in the survey results up there, look at past years from the sociology at UT austin program and process... A lot of people got denied "after placing a call/contacting the coordinator."

My thoughts exactly! If they don't get ahold of you, it's probably not news that you want to hear!

And, yes, UT Austin would be amazing. It's hard to imagine a program better suited to my interests. Plus, being from Portland, OR, I can't help but feel an attraction to Austin. I sure hope the stars are alligned on this one.

Also, as an aside, I've heard that grad programs are much less likely to admit students who completed their undergraduate degree at the same university. Perhaps that was a major factor in this particular student's case.