Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

Just had a totally brutal interview with Yale - Skype (I'm in East Africa). Invitation was for an informal conversation - was definitely NOT informal. Anyone else have similarly intense interviews?

I also had an unpleasant Skype interview with Yale. While I'd love to be accepted to such a prestigious university, I'm now questioning if it's the right kind of place for me.

@ah2191 Maybe that's just their method? Agreed though - I was pretty set on Yale but now interested to see if my Northwestern interview leaves me with more warm fuzzies.

On a related note, I see on the results page that folks have received January rejections from Oxbridge Mphils via email. I was meant to be considered in the Nov. pool with results in January. Think that's a good or bad sign? Any other info out there on where they are in the acceptance/rejection process?

Hey guys--this is probably naive of me to ask, but does Northwestern interview ALL potential acceptances? The Department website doesn't say anything about even requesting interviews; however, the website for their medical anthro program says they interview THOSE candidates. Are all the interview entries on the results page for medical candidates? If I'm cultural, should I be writing Northwestern off since I haven't received an interview request?

On a related note, I see on the results page that folks have received January rejections from Oxbridge Mphils via email. I was meant to be considered in the Nov. pool with results in January. Think that's a good or bad sign? Any other info out there on where they are in the acceptance/rejection process?

For Cambridge I know that they are still in the process of going through applications, etc.They are quite slow (and term started like three weeks ago). Don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet. You'll probably hear later this month or in early March. I mean, I know more about the process in the Division of Archaeology, but I suppose it's similar for Socanth and Bioanth.

I don't know about Oxford though, can't help you there.

Edited by Anzaria

@Nic42 I'm med anthro/MPH - they only take 2 students or so which I'm assuming accounts for the interview. The results page says several folks have been invited to interview for sociocultural though and one mentions that 8 in total have been invited for 4 spots. So I'm not sure what to tell you, unfortunately.

@Anzaria thanks for the info! I think I may contact the departments as mail by post tends to get lost in the depths of the capital here. We've yet to work out a postal system, sadly. Just want to know if I need to go stake out the central office.

See, that's what I thought, too--but if you search the results for Northwestern anthropology, there are only two interview requests posted for this year, and only one is listed as cultural. Could it be possible that someone just selected the wrong program listing from the drop-down menu?

(Answer: no, of course not. The odds against such a thing are astronomical. Hope springs eternal...)

@MMkay tha

Received invite a few weeks back, they were clear they wanted to interview this week if possible. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update. I was hoping against hope that I would get one, but it looks like I didn't make the cut. It hurts less because I have heard better news from other programs, but I really wanted to dazzle them in an interview. I heard previously that the interviews for Yale were primarily about getting to know the student, but I guess that has changed this time around.

Hey, regarding GW I haven't heard anything, but I applied to their new anth phd, not hom.paleo like one person mentioned above. Unsure if they are doing interviews or not. Does anyone have word from UC Irvine, UCLA or UC Santa Cruz yet? do you know if the departments conduct interviews?

I got accepted to both my backup schools at least. Not Cal, but it's not like I was expecting to. Congrats to those who got in!

@MMcKay. Last year I got a decision from Oxford on January 28, but it wasn't until April 21 that I heard from Cambridge. (And yes, I did submit both applications by the November deadline as well.)

Edited by Anthroman

Delurking for a moment. Any Cornell applicants in the group? If so, has anyone heard anything?

Hey there Lurky McLurkerson!

I'm the person who wrote in the results page. I got a kind email from the graduate program director indicating that I should apply for FLAS. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that there isn't more mention of it on these boards since its great money. Anyways, I'm competent in a regional language but not the national language of where I work, and the adcom suggested that I apply since there is FLAS money for that language even though I didn't write about needing that language anywhere in my statement. I remember the FLAS coordinator telling me that the decisions wouldn't be out till sometime after the 20th (that memory is fuzzy) so I don't think announcements would happen before then. This might not be the news you were looking for, but I wouldn't be super discouraged yet, since not all languages are FLAS, and everyone has different needs for their training.

Just saw an acceptance from Missouri. I'm interested in Minnesota and Missouri but haven't heard anything yet. Think this counts me out completely? :(

I'm the one who posted the Missouri acceptance. I received an email including my acceptance and other information late this afternoon. Shortly after that, I received an email from the department's administrative assistant that included some pertinent information that had not been included in the original notification. There were 11 other people included in that email. Of course, this doesn't mean that they're done accepting but, obviously, they have made several offers.

Edited by Bregma210

I'm the one who posted the Missouri acceptance. I received an email including my acceptance and other information late this afternoon. Shortly after that, I received an email from the department's administrative assistant that included some pertinent information that had not been included in the original notification. There were 11 other people included in that email. Of course, this doesn't mean that they're done accepting but, obviously, they have made several offers.

Well congrats! I saw you're biological and maybe that was your list. Still holding out for archeological. :-)

Edited by zougal

In case anyone else has been wondering, Prof. at Oxford told me letters were mailed this week so if you applied expect to receive notice next week or just after.

I learned from Cambridge that my application was moved from Mres to Mphil committee so I'm told I likely wont know until the end of March. However, she tells me that many rejections have already been issued.

Has Berkeley for sure sent out acceptances? I haven't heard yea or nay. Just checked and my application reads that they haven't received my GRE scores yet either. Wonderful! :wacko:

They have. :(

I promise that your GRE scores not arriving did not negatively impact your application, if that's any consolation.

Hey there Lurky McLurkerson!

I'm the person who wrote in the results page. I got a kind email from the graduate program director indicating that I should apply for FLAS. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that there isn't more mention of it on these boards since its great money. Anyways, I'm competent in a regional language but not the national language of where I work, and the adcom suggested that I apply since there is FLAS money for that language even though I didn't write about needing that language anywhere in my statement. I remember the FLAS coordinator telling me that the decisions wouldn't be out till sometime after the 20th (that memory is fuzzy) so I don't think announcements would happen before then. This might not be the news you were looking for, but I wouldn't be super discouraged yet, since not all languages are FLAS, and everyone has different needs for their training.

Also that email was not an acceptance. KEEP FAITH.

Just had a totally brutal interview with Yale - Skype (I'm in East Africa). Invitation was for an informal conversation - was definitely NOT informal. Anyone else have similarly intense interviews?

Yes, I've had several intense interviews of the many I've done over two years, though not with Yale. It seemed as if some faculty enter the interview wanting to tear down the project (looking for all possible theoretical/methodological weeknesses) instead of actually intending to hear me out. The interviews I felt were most successful were those in which ideas were exchanged and constructive feedback was given.

Also, Skype interviews SUCK. They are much more difficult in my experience-- you can't read the other person's expressions/body language to respond appropriately, and any pause/hestitation makes you sound awkward and idiotic. That could have something to do with the tone of your interview. Anyway, best of luck! Who knows, they could have been super impressed with your ability to take the heat!