Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

I have only heard back from one school so far about an interview. I know two other people who also have received interviews from the same school. In some ways, I think the "Interview" stage might be a little bit more nerve-wracking -- you know your Candidate File is there, the AdComm members are looking at it, but you kind of wonder what exactly they were looking for in the interviews--did they have questions about weaknesses (which there are many!), or (in the most hopeful scenario), did they want to gauge my seriousness about their offer.

Needless to say, the interview was by far one of the most relaxing and ... I would say, fun, parts of the application process so far. There were actually very few questions about my research--the predominant questions were about why I was interested in the school and if I had considered moving to the town the school was in. I think I had good answers for both. I also think/hope it's a good sign that I was asked to interview so early -- I'm hoping I hear in the next few days, but am resigned it may take a few weeks!

Regardless, the school that interviewed me is one of my top picks, so I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't fumble the ball too much!

Edited by eaglespirit0

I'm looking at indicators for behavior and genetic interaction. Right now I'm working on a project that is attempting to trace migration patterns. I've applied to Penn State, UPENN, Tennessee, Ohio State, University of Arizona, and UNLV. What schools did you apply to?

Right now, I am especially anxious to hear about Duke Evolutionary Anthro. From past results, it seems like people are contacted for interviews around this time of year. I don't think I have a great shot, but it would be a dream come true.

Hey Rowlf, check out the results board, someone just got an interview for Duke!

Are you the one who posted the result that Anzaria mentioned? Are you evolutionary or cultural?

I heard from Duke over the weekend. I'm a semi-finalist and have an interview with them next week. No other details.

Savagemind, congratulations! May I ask, what is your area of interest? Who did you apply to work with?

I was really feeling hopeful about Duke, it's sad to know I've probably been rejected.

I heard from Duke over the weekend. I'm a semi-finalist and have an interview with them next week. No other details.

I was just trying to go through all of the schools that we know have been notifying students of some decision (acceptance, rejection, interview)...am I missing anything?

I figure people could copy, paste and add to this list every time we know of a new school.

Minnesota

Emory

Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)

UCSB

Northwestern

UNC

University of Virginia (UVA)

Duke

Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL)

Cornell

Cambridge

And, congratulations to everyone so far!

In my self-centered hunt for information, I forgot to congratulate you, Savagemind. Good luck with the interview!

Thanks, Rowlf. Duke is only school I've heard from out of 6, so think there's still much being decided. Nervous about the interview, but glad to get it. Keep the faith, everyone!

And since I was on a bit of a spree, I found out that Brown's decisions are coming out in mid-February.

To Thepoetsdaughter, you are not messing around with that line-up of top notch schools. Have you gotten much encouragement from those departments?

Hey Anthroman--I just applied to schools that I thought were the best fit, faculty-wise. I don't feel too optimistic at this point, but I guess we'll see.

Hey Thepoetsdaughter, are you the one who posted about a Brown interview? It looks like someone got one, as seen in the results survey. I didn't know that they did interviews. I didn't get any email. Should I take this as a bad sign (and forget about Brown)?

Hey Thepoetsdaughter, are you the one who posted about a Brown interview? It looks like someone got one, as seen in the results survey. I didn't know that they did interviews. I didn't get any email. Should I take this as a bad sign (and forget about Brown)?

Nope, wasn't me. I know that this is/has been a really hard time for everyone and that waiting is the hardest part of this whole process. But I'm beginning to see that we shouldn't write off any schools until we hear back from them officially. I think that a number of schools don't have a formal interview process but will interview a candidate that they're interested in, but want to know more about (maybe there's something inconsistent about their application or there's a hole in it or they just want to see if the person really is all that). Either way, I know that Brown hasn't interviewed all candidates. Unfortunately, we're just going to have to sit tight for the next two-three weeks and hope that these various committees make their decisions nice and early.