Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

• Please log in to reply
781 replies to this topic

#41 Thepoetsdaughter

Thepoetsdaughter

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Program:Anthropology

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

And since I was on a bit of a spree, I found out that Brown's decisions are coming out in mid-February.

#42 Anzaria

Anzaria

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Program:Anthropology/Archaeology

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

And since I was on a bit of a spree, I found out that Brown's decisions are coming out in mid-February.

Thanks for letting us know!
3 weeks to go, then...

#43 saveagemind

saveagemind

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

Are you the one who posted the result that Anzaria mentioned? Are you evolutionary or cultural?

Cultural.

#44 saveagemind

saveagemind

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

In my self-centered hunt for information, I forgot to congratulate you, Savagemind. Good luck with the interview!

Thanks, Rowlf. Duke is only school I've heard from out of 6, so think there's still much being decided. Nervous about the interview, but glad to get it. Keep the faith, everyone!

#45 anthro.fish

anthro.fish

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Program:Cultural Anthropology

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

To Thepoetsdaughter, you are not messing around with that line-up of top notch schools. Have you gotten much encouragement from those departments?

#46 Thepoetsdaughter

Thepoetsdaughter

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hey Anthroman--I just applied to schools that I thought were the best fit, faculty-wise. I don't feel too optimistic at this point, but I guess we'll see.

#47 Anzaria

Anzaria

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Program:Anthropology/Archaeology

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hey Anthroman--I just applied to schools that I thought were the best fit, faculty-wise. I don't feel too optimistic at this point, but I guess we'll see.

Hey Thepoetsdaughter, are you the one who posted about a Brown interview? It looks like someone got one, as seen in the results survey. I didn't know that they did interviews. I didn't get any email. Should I take this as a bad sign (and forget about Brown)?

#48 Thepoetsdaughter

Thepoetsdaughter

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:47 AM

Hey Thepoetsdaughter, are you the one who posted about a Brown interview? It looks like someone got one, as seen in the results survey. I didn't know that they did interviews. I didn't get any email. Should I take this as a bad sign (and forget about Brown)?

Nope, wasn't me. I know that this is/has been a really hard time for everyone and that waiting is the hardest part of this whole process. But I'm beginning to see that we shouldn't write off any schools until we hear back from them officially. I think that a number of schools don't have a formal interview process but will interview a candidate that they're interested in, but want to know more about (maybe there's something inconsistent about their application or there's a hole in it or they just want to see if the person really is all that). Either way, I know that Brown hasn't interviewed all candidates. Unfortunately, we're just going to have to sit tight for the next two-three weeks and hope that these various committees make their decisions nice and early.

#49 newleaf

newleaf

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Minnesota
Emory
Illinois Urbana-Champaign
UCSB
Northwestern
UNC
UVA
Duke
Washington St. Louis
Cornell
Cambridge
Yale

#50 whoneedsfreetime

whoneedsfreetime

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Minnesota
Emory
Illinois Urbana-Champaign
UCSB
Northwestern
UNC
UVA
Duke
Washington St. Louis
Cornell
Cambridge
Yale
Brown
accepted: 2 (1st choice, 4th choice)
rejected: 4 (2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th choice)
crazy how it plays out.

#51 FoxtrotNY

FoxtrotNY

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Program:Anthropology PHD

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am also waiting. I never sent my official transcript to Harvard for anthropology PHD emphasis on medical anthropology. I was not able to because there was a hold on my transcript due to owing money for school housing. I called and talked to the department back in December and they said that they would eventually want them but did not elaborate. Does anyone know if my application would be considered complete or incomplete?

Thanks

#52 lookinside

lookinside

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Program:anthropology

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

anyone got email from U of Chicago? I got an email from professor and wanted to talk to me via Skype. I never expected an interview from Chicago, but very nervous indeed.

#53 anthro.fish

anthro.fish

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:22 AM

Congratulations lookinside! Good luck with the interview. That is pretty exciting . . . one of the best programs in the world and all . . .

#54 nubiadoc

nubiadoc

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone else had gotten an interview from Yale? I saw a post in the results survey and was wondering if that means they had sent out all their interview invites.
thanks

#55 peachblossom

peachblossom

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

anyone got email from U of Chicago? I got an email from professor and wanted to talk to me via Skype. I never expected an interview from Chicago, but very nervous indeed.

congratulations! This is such a great program! I also applied to UChicago, but haven't heard from them yet, and I suppose that might mean a rejection.
Best of luck!

#56 jerzygrl

jerzygrl

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Program:Anthro

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Tomorrow is February 1 and most programs still haven't done interviews (based on the results survey) so I guess that means we are in for the long haul with admissions this year. I had expected to start hearing back already- based on last years results.
Applied: 4 PhD's, 1 MA
Accepted: 0/5
Rejected: 1/5

#57 newleaf

newleaf

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

Anyone got the scoop on Yale? I called them Friday and am too chicken to again and ask about interviews. I know they interview quite a lot of people (relative to other programs) but I want to knowwwwww...

#58 anthro.fish

anthro.fish

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

I also applied to Yale, hoping to do the combined degree program (Anthropology/F&ES). Haven't heard nary a whisper.

#59 leapfrog

leapfrog

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Application Season:2013 Spring

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I've also applied for this year. This must be the most anxious time for everyone - it's hard knowing that such a big change could (or couldn't) happen, with very little control over it. I haven't heard anything yet, but am hoping that it's still quite early in the process for many programs.

Good luck all!

#60 peachblossom

peachblossom

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Anyone applying for Davis? I just saw someone posted an acceptance. Not sure if that means if final decisions have already been made

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users