UW-Madison?

Guest pistolwink

I've just decided to attend UW Madison's math Ph.D program. I had a really hard time deciding, and in the end my second choice offer was from UCSD. I fear I will be wishing I chose UCSD come December or January :D

Guest Laeta

Dayton is a long street, running the length of the Isthmus. Like Mifflin, it can be party central if you are close to campus, but around the Capitol starts mixing in grad students and becomes more and more grad-y as you go east. I know grads who live on Mifflin about 6 blocks past the Capitol and it is fine. Don't be scared of what "guest" is telling you! Most grads will live on Old University (that seems to be generally med school/engineering area--I'm in a social science and don't know anyone there), Vilas south of campus, East Johnson street area, or Jenifer street area.

As for the weather, I'm from the South and hate the cold, but I've dealt with it for 4 years now. It's spring now--flowers are blooming, highs in the 60s, although the trees are just starting to get their leaves. People can ride bikes to campus now probably through October--some who are hard core ride all but the coldest days--they have special gear to deal with the cold. I find that the biggest problem with the cold is that it lasts so long--not many days are in the under 0 range, but for four months, you won't see many that are above freezing. People deal, though--invest in some long underwear and a good winter coat, gloves, hat, and scarf, and you'll be okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about deposits yet? I received all of my insurance-related stuff from my department along with a request for a teaching statement to determine if I would be classified as 'experienced' or 'inexperienced' but nothing about sending in a deposit or when I receive my Wisconsin email address.

Any insight?

Thanks! :D

Guest arrrrr

i haven't heard anything about anything yet! :? As far as I can tell, you can't activate your netid (which gets you your email address and access to the MyUW stuff) until you get your ID, which is apparently *different* from the ID they assign you during the application process (cause it doesn't work to activate the netid, i tried :D )

So, i dunno. Do you know anything about course registration, either? I assume that that info will come from my dept, but who knows...

• 11 months later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use