Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

I figured I'd start a thread for the actual reporting of results. It should help weed out false reports and make it easier for people to claim posts on the results survey and possibly share their profiles. More than just allow us to compulsively compare (as we all do), congratulate, and predict, it would be beneficial for future applicants to see the range of profiles (stats, pubs, ages?, education levels, etc.) that both succeed and do not. This will help future applicants get a better idea of where they have a chance. I certainly wish there was a centralized place for this while I was applying. Anyway, I hope everyone participates. This is closest anybody is going to get to blacklighting the dirty hotel room that is graduate school admissions.

Edited by sociology27

I'm WSU. As far as I know, I haven't been accepted yet. They called and told me I was nominated by someone from the soc. department to attend an event. It has something to do with diversity. (I couldn't hear her very well I was at work, on a boat.)

PSU is me. Confirmed acceptance by phone over the weekend! PM for more details if you want. :)

Congrats!

SocHope, I saw on another thread that your interests are im/migration and demography. So are mine, actually.

Did you apply to the joint programs at PSU and Berkeley or just the sociology depts?

Edited by panasic

Congrats!

SocHope, I saw on another thread that your interests are im/migration and demography. So are mine, actually.

Did you apply to the joint programs at PSU and Berkeley or just the sociology depts?

I applied to the joint program at UCB, and at PSU as well. If you recall, the PSU joint-application process was a little fuzzy, so I'm not sure if it registered with them that that was my intent, but during the phone call, it was mentioned in general terms. I think technically I've only been extended an offer via the soc dept. at PSU, not demography. Still exciting though! :)

And thanks everyone - we'll all have plenty more good news to share soon!

CONGRATS SocHope!! That's great news!

Supernovasky: "So it begins... lol."

You read my mind, except without the laugh. Mine was more like, "So, it begins... shit," with a wave of nerves rushing through my body.

I was accepted. One of the admissions committee members called me Monday evening, claiming that they had just finished the search. She told me that I should tell any profs I email in the coming days that I was accepted (if I had questions for them), as most of the faculty would not know about the decision for a few days.

Accepted into UNC and Minnesota--two of my top choices. In case people are curious, my undergraduate GPA is 3.9, 1350 GRE, and a co-authored publication in a top journal. Just a BA from a small public university.

UNC's visit is in late February, Minnesota's is late March.

Good luck everybody. I was worried about UNC since they have already contacted others. But since they seem to be doing phone calls I think it just takes longer to notify everybody--especially since a professor you hoped to work with seems to call you.

Also got into Minnesota but has not heard anything from UNC yet....prob it is gonna be a rejection.

R u going to Minn campus visit?

my stats: undergraduate last semester.

sociology BS/german BA stats minor

gpa 3.6 GRE 1500

no publication

had some quantitative research experience/wrote two honors thesis

Accepted into UNC and Minnesota--two of my top choices. In case people are curious, my undergraduate GPA is 3.9, 1350 GRE, and a co-authored publication in a top journal. Just a BA from a small public university.

Good luck everybody. I was worried about UNC since they have already contacted others. But since they seem to be doing phone calls I think it just takes longer to notify everybody--especially since a professor you hoped to work with seems to call you.

Edited by undmich

Fantastic stats.

Little by little my self-confidence crumbles more and more.