Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

I haven't heard anything from Northeastern, but BU emailed me.

I haven't heard anything from Boston University (BU) or Northeastern. I saw a number of people got accepted and there was a recent rejection posted from BU. Did you contact them to find out or have they sent out their notifications?

I got accepted to Northeastern via email from the graduate program head a few weeks ago - without funding though. I know they recently had an open house for admitted students. Try emailing them directly.

Anybody who got into Temple and nominated for a university fellowship hear back about that yet? Or funding from Knoxville?

Also, I saw on the results page that people have heard from Pittsburgh. I emailed them recently and was told they hadn't sent out admissions letters yet? Confusion.

@arandall I also emailed Pittsburgh and was told that decisions should only be notified via mail. And they hadn't sent all of them yet. Not quite sure what's going on.

Congrats!! I just joined the forum today, as I was looking around online to see if anyone had heard from VT yet. I applied to their Sociology program, as well, and they're the only school at which I applied. Unfortunately, I was late taking my GRE, so I still haven't heard anything, but you give me a little hope! Did they mention anything about Assistanship yet? :)

Unfortunately, they informed me that I would not be under consideration for an assistantship during my first semester. Oh well, I'm not worried about it. VT is my main choice because, even though I live in TN, VT's campus is only two hours away. I recently visited and was blown away by their campus. What a pretty place!

That's what I wondered. The person made it sound like it was just for sociology- "11,000 applications for 10 spots."

That's not what it actually says in the e-mail. They tried paraphrasing it but failed horribly.

It actually says:

"Thank you very much for applying to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Yale University. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. As you know, the very high number of extraordinary candidates among our more than 11,200 applicants far exceeds the number of places we have in each program, so we are not able to admit many excellent candidates."

seriously, what's with the schools that still don't accept, reject, or waitlist us.

In my experience, there are some programs that don't send rejects until their Graduate School decides to send an angry email telling them to get the damned things out. I know for a fact that UNC does this - it was a fairly common occurrence that was discussed in many a staff meeting (since the staff/graduate coordinators were the ones to send them out). I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case at other schools.

In my experience, there are some programs that don't send rejects until their Graduate School decides to send an angry email telling them to get the damned things out. I know for a fact that UNC does this - it was a fairly common occurrence that was discussed in many a staff meeting (since the staff/graduate coordinators were the ones to send them out). I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case at other schools.

Yeah, I guess things like that frequently happen, but my concern was, though, more toward those who haven't heard anything from the programs that have done all three in the last couple of months -- have accepted, rejected, and waitlisted at least some applicants.

So wait listed means a delayed rejection? I have heard from UNC and was told that I'm on the waiting list. So heartbroken as the chance of getting in is so slight...

Starbucks don't be heartbroken - there's definitely still hope. Especially with UNC. I got admitted and they really made it a point, more than other schools to mention in their emails that they would really appreciate knowing early if we were going to accept the offer or not, which made it sound to me like its probably a pretty dynamic waitlist. Anything can happen!

Starbucks don't be heartbroken - there's definitely still hope. Especially with UNC. I got admitted and they really made it a point, more than other schools to mention in their emails that they would really appreciate knowing early if we were going to accept the offer or not, which made it sound to me like its probably a pretty dynamic waitlist. Anything can happen!

Thank you so much realmadrid7! Congrats to the admission of UNC! It's definitely my dream school and I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the miracle to happen! Btw, they said that the wait list doesn't have a ranking...odd!

Thank you so much realmadrid7! Congrats to the admission of UNC! It's definitely my dream school and I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the miracle to happen! Btw, they said that the wait list doesn't have a ranking...odd!

Maybe they don't rank so that rather than going down the list they can admit their ideal cohort in terms of interests? So that they have a balance of interest areas... unfortunately this keeps you guessing where you stand, which I know from experience is annoying (I'm also waitlisted at another school)

In either case, wish you all the best!!

Just found out I wasn't accepted for the NSF internship at ICPSR at The University of Michigan. Didn't even get an interview. It hurts, but I figure I have to get used to the rejection if I am going to make it through this process.

Just found out I wasn't accepted for the NSF internship at ICPSR at The University of Michigan. Didn't even get an interview. It hurts, but I figure I have to get used to the rejection if I am going to make it through this process.

Super competitive, though. Still sucks :( keep your head up though, plenty of other fish in the sea!

So wait listed means a delayed rejection? I have heard from UNC and was told that I'm on the waiting list. So heartbroken as the chance of getting in is so slight...

No not at all - I was referring specifically to the applications that are flat-out rejected. Wait-listing is an entirely different story.

Yeah, I guess things like that frequently happen, but my concern was, though, more toward those who haven't heard anything from the programs that have done all three in the last couple of months -- have accepted, rejected, and waitlisted at least some applicants.

Yes...that situation is a bit bizarre. :)