I wonder how many people are on the list...

My impression is that there are around four strong Assyriology applicants this year, including the Yale student(s).

Edited by kaputzing

NELC at Yale is allowed only 2 new students, and those have to be divided between Assyriology, Egyptology, and (Greco-)Arabic Studies. I'd guess that Assyriology will get one new student at the most, and it seems to be unusual for an admitted student to turn the spot down.

Edited by Ardea

NELC at Yale is allowed only 2 new students, and those have to be divided between Assyriology, Egyptology, and (Greco-)Arabic Studies. I'd guess that Assyriology will get one new student at the most, and it seems to be unusual for an admitted student to turn the spot down.

I knew the number was low, but not as low as two for the entire department. I assume they didn't take any Egyptologists this round, though, so I guess it's one spot for Assyriology and one for Greco-Arabic studies?

• 2 weeks later...

Bummer. Were you rejected off the short list, or had you already been anticipating it? Congrats on Texas, though! Great program.

I have no clue, honestly. I doubt I was considered all that seriously, but who knows. I'm interested to know how many people were admitted to UT and, therefore, how likely it will be that I get any funding. No funding = no PhD for me.

I'm dreaming of a time when I'm not thinking about all this shit constantly.

. . . and the Hopkins rejection. No surprise there.

Well, I've heard back from all my schools now, just waiting on funding info (UT Austin) and/or change in wait list status (U Mich).

Sorry to hear about the Hopkins rejection. They have a great program on paper, but I feel like their admissions process is an enigma. Given their penchant for taking students into HB/NWS from a select number of masters programs, maybe it is largely based upon written recommendations. Who knows. 

Good luck with funding at UT though. As I've said before, Austin is a fantastic place to live!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insight on NYU's near eastern studies MA or Chicago's middle east studies MA? I was accepted into both programs and am having a hard time choosing between them.

I'm really interested in modern Arabic literature as well as Arabic dialect studies and at this time I'm not thinking about pursuing a career in academia.

Does anyone have any insight on NYU's near eastern studies MA or Chicago's middle east studies MA? I was accepted into both programs and am having a hard time choosing between them.

I'm visiting NYU's program this week. My sub-field is Central Asia, which NYU includes in Near Eastern Studies, but feel free to PM me if you have general questions about the program, and I'm happy to share any information I can. I'll be there Thursday-Friday.

• 4 months later...

Egyptology at Yale is definitely in a precarious position right now. Unfortunately, the scandal has also opened the GSAS to reduce the number of students in the NELC department, which has already been a shrinking department. Although the full extent of the damage remains to be seen, it is unlikely that the department as a whole will recover soon. I honestly can't imagine that the department will be able to legitimately move forward with both Darnell and Manasseh. I hope that the university will begin to make decisions to protect one of the best departments of its kind in the world, even though the administration probably has little regard for the humanities like most other Ivy administrations (just look at the state of the ancient program in NELC at Harvard).

• 4 months later...