Applied for UChicago's NELC PhD program and was just notified that they've accepted me to their Center for Middle East Studies MA program.  Is this a fairly regular thing? I've never really heard about this...(Given I'm very new to this scene - just finished my undergrad thesis an hour ago!)

Applied for UChicago's NELC PhD program and was just notified that they've accepted me to their Center for Middle East Studies MA program.  Is this a fairly regular thing? I've never really heard about this...(Given I'm very new to this scene - just finished my undergrad thesis an hour ago!)

I've been accepted to CMES as well! I only applied to MA programs so I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard of people being offered an MA in lieu of a PhD quite a bit.

I've been accepted to CMES as well! I only applied to MA programs so I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard of people being offered an MA in lieu of a PhD quite a bit.

This is pretty common, especially at Chicago.  If you apply for a PhD in a humanities division like NELC and they reject you, your application will be recommended to CMES, or MAPH and MAPSS instead.  These programs are typically unfunded, but it's possible to get some funding.

Harvard GSAS is forcing NELC to reduce the number of incoming students according to DSG. The ancient field is probably in danger. 

I hate the GSAS...

Besides, has Yale already sent out results? I saw one post in result research. 

I thought Harvard just posted an ad for an Assyriology lecture position though through Sasson's listhost? (Not subscribed to it myself, since I'd never be able to keep my inbox clean, but this is what I've heard from others.)

No clue about Yale, but I'd assume that they've made their picks by now. Congrats to whoever got in!

I thought Harvard just posted an ad for an Assyriology lecture position though through Sasson's listhost? (Not subscribed to it myself, since I'd never be able to keep my inbox clean, but this is what I've heard from others.)

No clue about Yale, but I'd assume that they've made their picks by now. Congrats to whoever got in!

That's true. But it's a three-year non-renewable position. Just like Dr. B's position, who left Harvard for a high school teaching position after this three-year lecturership last year. A great Akkadian teacher, always helpful. What a loss! What is the GSAS thinking about?

I'm sorry but in my previous post by DSG I meant DGS, so Prof. S. And it's pretty reliable. I don't know how exactly the GSAS wants to reduce it, but considering that Jewish Studies and Islamic Studies are much stronger programs than ANE currently, I can't interpret it in a more optimistic way. 

Yale has already made an offer for HB and he will accept. Since Hebrew Bible never gets more than one spot, it seems like HB is all wrapped up for this year.

I've been advised not to apply to Harvard because of the uncertainty there. It seems that the administration isn't interested in maintaining the strength of the ancient field. I think that Huehnergard and Hackett saw this coming 5 years ago, and so they retired to Austin. Indeed, Hackett told me as much. Since they are obviously in no hurry to replace Huehnergard and Hackett, I'm not sure why they would be in any hurry to replace Machinist or Stager. It's unfortunate really. Harvard has been at the top of HB/ANE for several decades, but now it seems that in 5 years they may not even have a program (at least not in NELC). At least places like Chicago and Texas are building their programs so people will continue to have first rate places to study.

Yale has already made an offer for HB and he will accept. Since Hebrew Bible never gets more than one spot, it seems like HB is all wrapped up for this year.

I've been advised not to apply to Harvard because of the uncertainty there. It seems that the administration isn't interested in maintaining the strength of the ancient field. I think that Huehnergard and Hackett saw this coming 5 years ago, and so they retired to Austin. Indeed, Hackett told me as much. Since they are obviously in no hurry to replace Huehnergard and Hackett, I'm not sure why they would be in any hurry to replace Machinist or Stager. It's unfortunate really. Harvard has been at the top of HB/ANE for several decades, but now it seems that in 5 years they may not even have a program (at least not in NELC). At least places like Chicago and Texas are building their programs so people will continue to have first rate places to study.

They seem to have gotten the permission to start searching for a new philologist. 

Joining the Yale waitlist club!

Do you know if they'll contact students prior to April 15 if spots become available? The letter suggests that they won't, and if that's the case, then there's no point in staying on the waitlist for me.

Joining the Yale waitlist club!

Do you know if they'll contact students prior to April 15 if spots become available? The letter suggests that they won't, and if that's the case, then there's no point in staying on the waitlist for me.

That's true. I think it only makes sense to remain on the list if one doesn't have another acceptance or if Yale is the first choice regardless. 

Anyone claiming the Harvard acceptance?

I can claim the Egyptology acceptance. I had an informal Skype interview back in January, and received the news through email a few days back.

Apparently the Memphis committee is meeting this week. Anyone else excited to hear from them?

Are you applying to the M.A. or Ph.D. program? I'm finishing up my last semester in the Art History M.A. program, so if you have any questions I can try and help you out.

That's true. I think it only makes sense to remain on the list if one doesn't have another acceptance or if Yale is the first choice regardless. 

My thoughts exactly. Additionally, does anyone care to share how many cuneiformists they accepted this year, and how many of those cuneiformists are already Yale Masters students? Just to give me an idea of whether or not I should even think about staying on the waitlist; I imagine if they are already there, then they'll stay there.

Also, I spy another Assyriologist posting results to the Results Search and waitlisted at Yale as well? Please say hi! :)

Edited by kaputzing

I can claim the Egyptology acceptance. I had an informal Skype interview back in January, and received the news through email a few days back.

Congrats! Didn't know that Egyptology was already accepting new students. Prof. Manuelian is super nice and extremely helpful. 

Edited by la sarar

My thoughts exactly. Additionally, does anyone care to share how many cuneiformists they accepted this year, and how many of those cuneiformists are already Yale Masters students? Just to give me an idea of whether or not I should even think about staying on the waitlist; I imagine if they are already there, then they'll stay there.

Also, I spy another Assyriologist posting results to the Results Search and waitlisted at Yale as well? Please say hi! :)

Last year they accepted 1 doctoral student in Assyriology. He was an external candidate. This year there was at least 1 (probably 2) internal candidates applying for Assyriology. I have no idea who was accepted this year, but it seems likely to me that either candidate would accept if offered. Given how small Assyriology is at Yale, I would expect that the decision will be made sooner rather than later. So, if I were you, I'd stick it out on the waitlist for a couple of weeks, unless you don't plan to come anyway. 

Last year they accepted 1 doctoral student in Assyriology. He was an external candidate. This year there was at least 1 (probably 2) internal candidates applying for Assyriology. I have no idea who was accepted this year, but it seems likely to me that either candidate would accept if offered. Given how small Assyriology is at Yale, I would expect that the decision will be made sooner rather than later. So, if I were you, I'd stick it out on the waitlist for a couple of weeks, unless you don't plan to come anyway. 

Thanks. :) I've decided to stick on the waitlist for now. I just combed through my emails, and Frahm had mentioned they'd only take one or two applicants this year, so I imagine my chances are incredibly low, but I'll give it a shot, I suppose.

Thanks. :) I've decided to stick on the waitlist for now. I just combed through my emails, and Frahm had mentioned they'd only take one or two applicants this year, so I imagine my chances are incredibly low, but I'll give it a shot, I suppose.

I wonder how many people are on the list...