Moving to the USA: To Do List

edost

Thank you, everyone! Maybe it's not so scary as it looks afterall :)

No, it's an adventure and something to look forward to instead of being scared of. It's going to be awesome!

• 1 month later...

Here's my personal to-do list:

1) Get an F-1 Visa- I already have my I-20 so I just have to wait for my next salary so I can pay the necessary fees and schedule an appointment

2) Book air tickets- My mom will stay a few days with me to help me get settled and we'll also visit some relatives before we go to my city. We had to break up the trip somewhere as all the legs will take 20+ hours!

3) Start an inventory of what things to bring and what things I have to buy, especially winter wear as my uni is in the Midwest- I have a hand-me-down coat, an autumn jacket, a windbreaker, some wool socks, a few thin leggings and shirts for layering, and that's about it. Of course I'm going to buy the rest of the stuff I need in the US, but I want to have a good idea of what I need before I go.

4) Learn all my favorite native food recipes that I haven't learned yet

5) Find housing! I hope to avoid having to find a room only when I arrive.

Any advice on how to find housing before arriving in the states?

Are you familiar with Craigslist.org? It has spaces for people to post about rooms, apartments, furniture... all sorts of useful stuff. (Sorry if that's old news; I don't know how widespread it is or where you're coming from.)

There's also real estate agents, but young folks on the cheap usually use Craigslist.