The first rejection (and the emotions that follow)

habanero

Acceptance letters are beginning to make their way to students (as we can see from the survey). Instead of an acceptance, did you get a rejection? How are you holding up?

University of Illinois-UC offered me an unfunded Masters instead of a funded PhD. It was terrible to get the email, particularly because it said that I had been "accepted". Naturally, this is what my eyes gravitated to first. I rapidly fell from extreme elation to intense depression. I'm worried that this is a sign of things to come, and I'm about ready to quit my job and run away to Mexico. It's upsetting that a 330/340 GRE, excellent GPA, and 3 extremely good letters with a year+ of solid research experience isn't even sufficient to get me a spot on the wait list! I certainly always knew that 100% rejection was a possibility, but the prospect of having it become reality isn't exactly pleasant.

STAY STRONG!

Edited by habanero

That does seem upsetting, especially if they worded it as if you were about to get everything you wanted. Generic advice would usually dictate that you should at least be grateful for having gotten in, but I sometimes get the feeling that for Masters degrees, schools can always "open up" an extra spot if they're making full tuition off of it.

It looks like you applied to plenty of other schools though! I'm sure you'll hear back some great things in the next couple of months. And a bit of advice that I always took to heart is that if you haven't gotten a couple of rejections at all, maybe you weren't aiming high enough anyway :) Keep your head up!

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you are being recommended for admission to the Department of Computer Science

- Master of Science (MS) program at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign beginning with the Fall 2012. With successful completion of the MS program, you can petition and with departmental approval continue on for the PhD program.

It's upsetting that a 330/340 GRE, excellent GPA, and 3 extremely good letters with a year+ of solid research experience isn't even sufficient to get me a spot on the wait list! I certainly always knew that 100% rejection was a possibility, but the prospect of having it become reality isn't exactly pleasant.

Your strong profile does not say that you will be accepted. the important thing is the statement. does your research subject fit the faculty research fields?

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you are being recommended for admission to the Department of Computer Science

- Master of Science (MS) program at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign beginning with the Fall 2012. With successful completion of the MS program, you can petition and with departmental approval continue on for the PhD program.

That seems like quite a let down. Perhaps phrasing it differently would have been nice. Just remember - I'm sure you will be accepted to one of your other programs. (As foucaultmania said - its all about research interests!), plus now you definitely have a program to attend should the unthinkable happen. I know this is not much of a consolation, but it's not a disaster!

Best of luck with your remaining applications!

Justin

Well look at the bright side, in the end you can go to UIUC if nothing else works out. Maybe even get funding after a semester there? Apply to external scholarships. And really don't worry. You have yet to hear from so many places!

Your strong profile does not say that you will be accepted. the important thing is the statement. does your research subject fit the faculty research fields?

A little less than the other schools, maybe, but it did mesh.

Thanks for the support and sweet words, y'all. I apologize for the wallowing post. :)

I don't think being offered an unfunded MA is uncommon. U Chicago often refers sociology docotoral applicants to a masters in social sciences. People on this forum have said that those who opt for the masters program often have great success in applying to doctoral programs after.

Bats, don't think of it like that! Maybe you have been placed on the waiting list, or maybe they have not even gotten to your application yet! Perhaps they have just offered spots to those who they already knew would be getting in (i.e. those who had already worked with the professors or those who came with funding)!!! Don't lose hope until May. Some schools are just very slow with the whole process.

I got a straight up, simple and automated rejection email from UCSD. All that work and I get the feeling they never bothered looking at my materials. When I read the title of the email I had a sinking feeling despite it not mentioning rejection. At first, upon reading its contents, I didn't feel anything, moments later I felt seriously depressed, hours later angry/shamed. Now, a few days later I'm back to not feeling much except a bit depressed when someone mentions my application.

Trying for UCSD in my situation was a bit of a stretch anyway, doesn't mean the rejection didn't hurt though.

Hey, axc, hang in there - people here are rooting for you! I have rejections too, 2/5. I guess we'll just walk through the feelings now and then later work on the next step. Whatever happens, you will be moving forward next year, in one way or another (yeah, not much consolation right now, but....).

Haven't recieved a rejection yet, but the results page shows that one of my schools has gotten back to 4 students this month and the offers were made to people with numerous publications. I have none. I can almost feel the rejection email coming :( This is so depressing :(

Edited by Deema

Haven't recieved a rejection yet, but the results page shows that one of my schools has gotten back to 4 students this month and the offers were made to people with numerous publications. I have none. I can almost feel the rejection email coming :( This is so depressing :(

Don't give up the fight just yet! It isn't a rejection 'til the letter comes in the mail, and you never know if they might still be considering admitting more students. One possibility is that you might get waitlisted. Those people with a million publications are likely to get more than one acceptance, and there's probably a good chance that not all of them will go to this particular school. I guess the best advice I've gotten on this particular matter is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Don't give up the fight just yet! It isn't a rejection 'til the letter comes in the mail, and you never know if they might still be considering admitting more students. One possibility is that you might get waitlisted. Those people with a million publications are likely to get more than one acceptance, and there's probably a good chance that not all of them will go to this particular school. I guess the best advice I've gotten on this particular matter is to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

You're right, I should be more optimistic. Thank you for the words, I needed to hear them.

Hey everyone --

I was really relieved to see this thread. I've applied to four Ph.D. programs in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies -- the University of Minnesota, Emory, Ohio State, and Arizona State. Within the last twenty hours, I've been rejected by both Minnesota and Emory. Rejection is never fun, but the first one (or, in my case, two) really stings. Plus, I can't help but feel like these two rejections are indicative of what's to come.

I've spent the last seven years of my life in Bachelor's and Master's programs with the goal of attending a Ph.D. program. I worked my butt off to receive a 4.0 in grad school and do well on the GRE. Now I feel like it may have all been for nothing. I just sort of feel like a failure, I guess. Does anyone else out there feel this way?

Hey everyone --

I was really relieved to see this thread. I've applied to four Ph.D. programs in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies -- the University of Minnesota, Emory, Ohio State, and Arizona State. Within the last twenty hours, I've been rejected by both Minnesota and Emory. Rejection is never fun, but the first one (or, in my case, two) really stings. Plus, I can't help but feel like these two rejections are indicative of what's to come.

I've spent the last seven years of my life in Bachelor's and Master's programs with the goal of attending a Ph.D. program. I worked my butt off to receive a 4.0 in grad school and do well on the GRE. Now I feel like it may have all been for nothing. I just sort of feel like a failure, I guess. Does anyone else out there feel this way?

Don't give up! Even if you don't get in this year, there's always next year. You never know for sure why you've been rejected; it might just be bad luck that they had too many super awesome applicants like yourself, and they just had to draw metaphorical straws. Or maybe, someone else just had better fitting research interests. Whatever results you get, you are definitely not a failure! The schools are just silly for not seeing just how good you are.

Don't give up! Even if you don't get in this year, there's always next year. You never know for sure why you've been rejected; it might just be bad luck that they had too many super awesome applicants like yourself, and they just had to draw metaphorical straws. Or maybe, someone else just had better fitting research interests. Whatever results you get, you are definitely not a failure! The schools are just silly for not seeing just how good you are.

^ I couldnt say it better myself. My first application season was a...disappointment to say the least. The current season seems to be shaping up much better. I am the same person: sure I improved my app here and there, did what I could etc. Deep down though, I'm the same applicant. Don't doubt yourself, or feel hopeless - there are so many factors totally beyond our control! You still have 50% of your apps outstanding, so wait and see. Even if you need to reapply next season, you will get there!

Hey everyone --

Don't sweat it. You will be fine. A result (rejection/acceptance alike) is still better than no news at all, which is what most of my friends are experiencing. Frankly speaking I'd really appreciated the schools who notify me early on about their decisions so I can go for my plan B. So you may have a change to go for your plan B i.e. hurry up and find some other schools or alternatives. Time is money. Time is life. So waiting is not such a good thing to do.

A rejection at first is not a sign for anything. Different schools have different consideration - think about it, PhD is VERY DIFFERENT from a Master. Most of us paid every penny of our Master tuition bill out of our own pocket. But PhD is a big investment (~100k-200k total in 5 years) from the school on the student. So it's perfectly understandable that the school would make a very careful choice about who they are picking, because this student will represent the profit and reputation of the school in the future.

So long story short, it's more important to work with a compatible professor/program/department than getting a prestigious school, in my opinion. If you got accepted, congratulation! If not, well, don't stress yourself too hard. There's always another way!