The first rejection (and the emotions that follow)

habanero

I applied to the MA Philosophy program @ MSU and received my rejection via email this past saturday the basically said "thanks but no thanks. we've turned down lots of qualified people blah blah blah..." I was ok with it @ 1st but idk last i had a dream that i was filling out apps (despite already having filled them out and turned them in) and i just couldn't get everything done in time. i think that the rejection coupled with this dream is making me freak out right now like they're all going to say no. i applied to 4 schools (MSU, western mi uni, CO St. uni, and bowling green). i knew this was a long shot when i first app b/c i know i'm not the best they have. my overall gpa sucks and i knwo the cutoff is 3.0 and while my phil gpa is > 3.0, i know it's nothing 2 scream about. my gre was ok (570 V/590 Q/ 4 W). my professors wrote good recs and liked my st of purop and writing sample, but i'm trying not 2 be 2 hopeful so i don't cry myself 2 sleep in march. i empathize with those who have received similar news. it's awful. :(

Also received a rejection today. If it had to be any school, I'm glad it was this one (my last choice), but it stings nonetheless. Coming right out of undergrad, I'm extremely nervous that PhD programs will instantly write me off as unqualified. I'm hoping that this decision isn't indicative of things to come, but that doesn't really help the mounting dread I feel. Rejection always, always, ALWAYS sucks - it isn't something I've gotten used to yet, and I doubt I ever will!

I've been told that it's really all a matter of how we fit into the program and sometimes it could be a perfect fit but the professor who is interested has other things going on and can't take on any more ie. she/he might be welcoming a baby soon, or they already have the max number of grad students and can't handle or aren't allowed to have "just one more" (no matter how perfect the fit), or they are thinking of switching research interests and don't want to do Africa/post-colonialism/Vietnamese Art/etc any longer - or, perhaps more frequently, the dept doesn't have "enough" funding and they opted to take on less students so that each one can have a full ride.

Anyway, that's what I've been advised by my current professors.

I didn't get any rejections nor any acceptances. The waiting is killing me, so look on the bright side - at least you know and can move to plan B, whatever it is. However, I know it's not easy to handle it, but it's usually a lottery, so don't blame yourselves, please.

Take care!

My first rejection really sucks...

And it pretty much makes Ann Arbor not likely at all... eliminates it even

So I have Wash-Seattle ... which I did not know was as competitive as I've found out it is

and Colorado Boulder, where I may not be that great a fit

And then LSU... which I am probably a shoe in but where I don't want to get my PhD. I dont even know why I applied here.

Sitting at my desk at work trying (and failing) not to cry right now. First notification, and it's a rejection, and from one of my top choices. Yep. This sucks.

Big gigantic hug!!!!!! We're all rooting for you! Please know that we're here to cheer you on and ?!@?@$$#!?! with you too when you vent... if the sadness turns to anger.

FutureEdStudent, thank you!

Expecting a rejection and actually getting one are two very different things. I'm going to try really hard not to let this one make me think everyone else will reject me too... but that thought is definitely in the forefront of my mind right now. Staying positive is not easy for the chronically depressed, but I will try my bestest.

Keep hanging in there, everyone!

Sitting at my desk at work trying (and failing) not to cry right now. First notification, and it's a rejection, and from one of my top choices. Yep. This sucks.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get into one of your top schools. :( But I hope that you get into others! Crossing my fingers for you.

With mine, I just went numb, but at least could console myself with the fact that it was not one of the top ones for me. Hope to hear better news from you soon.

This thread is a little schadenfreude but it is nice to know I'm not the only one out there. I received a rejection from University of Rochester for their microbiology program about 3 weeks ago. It was my first one of this round (im on my second year of applying to phd programs) and I literally broke down and cried hard. I didn't have my heart set on going there...but it was one my adviser said I would have a really good chance of getting in to. I am still hopeful for other schools but it really does hurt (even though Im a pro at this :-/)

chipper up chipper monkeys! It will all work out in the end!

(P.S. try reading that line without chuckling. i can almost guarantee you cant say it without smiling)

Two rejections and zero acceptances right now... Not fun. I'm just hoping that the universities I applied to are getting the rejections out of the way early, and that there will be acceptances to follow. Thankfully, I have not been rejected by any top choices yet, but it still makes me feel terrible...

Staying positive is not easy for the chronically depressed, but I will try my bestest.

I know how you feel. I don't want to have to run out of class to have a breakdown. But hey, you've still got quite a few applications in, so I wouldn't think about crying yet, though I know if you invested a lot of research into the location, that just makes it worse.

Crossing fingers for you. :)

FutureEdStudent, thank you!

Expecting a rejection and actually getting one are two very different things. I'm going to try really hard not to let this one make me think everyone else will reject me too... but that thought is definitely in the forefront of my mind right now. Staying positive is not easy for the chronically depressed, but I will try my bestest.

Keep hanging in there, everyone!

Sorry to hear about that and the bolded is so true. We just have to keep on keeping on

I was just rejected yesterday for PhD by U Buff, and it stung surprisingly little. I wish they'd do away with the "your application was very impressive, BUT" business; that got to me more than the rejection. They're considering me for their terminal MA, which I assume they are doing for all rejected PhD applicants.

I had a very sobering conversation with one of my professors a few weeks ago, and ever since then I've had a 100% pessimistic attitude. Assuming that I will get in nowhere has made the waiting process one of ambient dullness, and my disappointment over Buffalo was a similar feeling. No high–flying emotions here. This process has turned me into an automaton.

Funny story: I told my PI that I was rejected from a school and he replied "They are stupid anyway. I reject anyone from THEIR school! Retaliation."

I am glad to have a PI with a sense of humor. I hope I can find the same when (not if but when) I get into a PhD program.

keep it optimistic!

Funny story: I told my PI that I was rejected from a school and he replied "They are stupid anyway. I reject anyone from THEIR school! Retaliation."

I am glad to have a PI with a sense of humor. I hope I can find the same when (not if but when) I get into a PhD program.

keep it optimistic!

Your PI sounds like such a cool person. Glad they're in your life. Would really help having someone like that around during this stressful time. Cheers.

I like this forum. Last year I was waitlisted then rejected from CSULB for social work, before that I had never been rejected from a university. After that experience I've now lost all faith the competitiveness of my application. I applied to two schools this year SJSU and NYU, I haven't heard anything but I'm expecting rejections from both due to CSULB.....

Thought this was pretty funny...if all else fails, I might get inspired to do the same!

Dear Admissions Committee:

Having reviewed the many rejection letters I have received in the last few weeks, it is with great regret that I must inform you I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year, after applying to a great many colleges and universities, I received an especially fine crop of rejection letters. Unfortunately, the number of rejections that I can accept is limited.

Each of my rejections was reviewed carefully and on an individual basis. Many factors were taken into account - the size of the institution, student-faculty ratio, location, reputation, costs and social atmosphere.

I am certain that most colleges I applied to are more than qualified to reject me. I am also sure that some mistakes were made in turning away some of these rejections. I can only hope they were few in number.

I am aware of the keen disappointment my decison may bring. Throughout my deliberations, I have kept in mind the time and effort it may have taken for you to reach your decision to reject me.

Keep in mind that at times it was necessary for me to reject even those letters of rejection that would normally have met my traditionally high standards.

I appreciate your having enough interest in me to reject my application. Let me take the opportunity to wish you well in what I am sure will be a successful academic year.

SEE YOU IN THE FALL!

Sincerely,

Paul Devlin

Applicant at Large

Thought this was pretty funny...if all else fails, I might get inspired to do the same!

Dear Admissions Committee:

Having reviewed the many rejection letters I have received in the last few weeks, it is with great regret that I must inform you I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year, after applying to a great many colleges and universities, I received an especially fine crop of rejection letters. Unfortunately, the number of rejections that I can accept is limited.

Each of my rejections was reviewed carefully and on an individual basis. Many factors were taken into account - the size of the institution, student-faculty ratio, location, reputation, costs and social atmosphere.

I am certain that most colleges I applied to are more than qualified to reject me. I am also sure that some mistakes were made in turning away some of these rejections. I can only hope they were few in number.

I am aware of the keen disappointment my decison may bring. Throughout my deliberations, I have kept in mind the time and effort it may have taken for you to reach your decision to reject me.

Keep in mind that at times it was necessary for me to reject even those letters of rejection that would normally have met my traditionally high standards.

I appreciate your having enough interest in me to reject my application. Let me take the opportunity to wish you well in what I am sure will be a successful academic year.

SEE YOU IN THE FALL!

Sincerely,

Paul Devlin

Applicant at Large

I think this is worth starting a new thread by just sharing a rejection letter to the rejection letter!

In hopes to get-in somewhere, I ended up applying to 15 schools. I feel like I binged on too much cake, the kind with lots of thick, clumpy icing; and now that the frenzy is over, I'm stuck with a bad taste in my mouth and heaviness in my gut (not to mention one very-drained bank account). I haven't heard one word; but there's been many acceptances with full-funding posted within the last few days for two of my top schools. I feel the rejections coming on. It makes me regret. I know that I'm getting ahead of myself, there's a lot more chances to go . . . but the once shining, hopeful "what if" has turned into a pensive, depressing, "what if not." What if I'm not good enough? Ouch. A year ago when I decided to do this, I didn't realize how agonizing the waiting and the rejections would be. Knew it would be rough, but not this rough. Typically I am the type of person who'd just busy myself with formulating Plan B and Plan C and Plan D.... But as of now, my stomach hurts too much. Anyone got an antacid?