People must not know about the UCSB Art program

Curious12345

Well the thing that gets me is the assumption that I even saw ALL of the applications, they had been picked through and we were seeing the "top 40" in the faculty's eyes...so I don't even know if I saw any of your applications. What I can say is that these applications look WAY different on the other side than you'd think they look, its a whole different world looking at things objectively when something like whether or not you go to grad school is on the line. But do know that the faculty looks VERY closely at each application.

Ok :) No problem!

But, per your initial comment when you first started this Forum/post:

"...and to be completely honest, our applications were pretty dismal this year (minus a few in my opinion)"

That sounds like you saw the all the applications! :)

Edited by OutWest

Listen, if you guys were offended or hurt just because someone referred to some artwork as "dismal," then maybe you better look for another field. And you're certainly not ready for grad school. You'll hear a lot worse there, and it will be said to your face about your own work.

By the same token, the OP's subsequent rant was a bit of an overreaction as well, if you ask me.

First off, this Forum is not Grad school. The psychodramatic circus will be coming to town in Aug/Sept for the people that get accepted for Fall. Let's not start it early is the only point. And, I prefer it when it is "in my face" (I've been through a few critiques, so I know what they're like), rather than in a large online forum.

Point being, this is "happy time" for those of us that have applied and are really excited to hear back from the schools we've applied to (UCSB included!). We don't want to grow our hard shells just yet. :)

lols @ all those who think my comments about being dismal were out of line. Just because I got to see your portfolios and read your statements does NOT mean I had any effect on who they let in. Sorry if you didn't get a call and you are putting two and two together with my dismal statement and not being accepted, don't act like I had ANY hand in it (we really didn't). Everyone knows the MFA application process is the most fucked thing to make it through...sometimes you get accepted because you DO suck as an artist. In any case I definitely encourage you to GET ANGRY with some stranger on the internet because they called what they saw dismal...(no but seriously, don't try to blame me). I know people who got into RISD and Yale, but got rejected by schools that weren't even in the top 100.

Also, UCSB being commercial??? HA HA HA... I don't even know what you mean by that considering you guys say your sources are "at the top of the gallery scene", "art heavy hitters" (the fuck do either of those things even mean?), what the hell is "the gallery scene" if not completely commercial art sales? Unless you are talking about editorial work or design type stuff...which from what I'm experiencing, couldn't be farther from the truth. One of the grads is making a god damned wooden surfboard right now to do performance work on! Half of us barely make physical work...hahaha. Lackluster alum?? Jesus, just cause we don't tout that Richard Serra graduated from here or that there are two artists on Steve Turner's roster that are UCSB MFA alum (should I go on?) doesn't mean that people who graduate from here are deadbeats.

I too am personal friends with some "heavy hitters" and they didn't actually know anything about UCSB. Like they said, its no UCLA or USC, but when it comes down to it, when you are at the top, there is nowhere to go but down. I think at LEAST half of the top schools are living on their own credit half of the time. Take UC Davis for example...even their own people dont even know why they get so many applications. In the end, it really doesn't matter what school you go to, ya it might be "easier" if you get into one of the top 5, but even then, the "failure" rate is still huge at those schools too. It is all about the person from what I've seen.

Look, the lesson here is that you shouldn't take one person's opinions as the end all of what you consider your work to be. Have some confidence! Also, you should go experience things for yourself if you really want to consider a school. Like I said, I visited before I accepted.

If you want to see our work: 2012) http://artsite.arts....e/graduate/2012 2013) http://artsite.arts..../graduates-2013

Curious, I don't think anyone was actually blaming you, they were just pointing out that calling work that was potentially theirs dismal wasn't tactful. of course it's your opinion, and it shouldn't change how they feel about themselves. But people come on this forum for information and because applying to mfas is a taxing process (for all the reasons you mentioned), and they just don't want to be insulted.

It's great that you are in a program that you love so much.

Edited by kazoo

What a confusing thread. It read as if you played a roll in the admissions process therefore it is inappropriate and unethical to throw out criticisms of applicants. Simple stuff. That was my first thought and I see others had the same one in variation. A small constructive criticism because frankly you're a bit dramatic…see your late post below. ;) I was simply responding to YOUR QUESTION.

That was what was relayed back to me when I asked about the painting program at ucsb ect. It wasn't a direct attack of your whole being. Good Lord. Take it down a notch.

I def agree in that I too know people who were snubbed by low ranking programs and accepted into top ranking ones. It's a funny +long + tiring process. I simply thought insulting those who applied wasn't a smart promotion tactic.

Best of luck!

lols @ all those who think my comments about being dismal were out of line. Just because I got to see your portfolios and read your statements does NOT mean I had any effect on who they let in. Sorry if you didn't get a call and you are putting two and two together with my dismal statement and not being accepted, don't act like I had ANY hand in it (we really didn't). Everyone knows the MFA application process is the most fucked thing to make it through...sometimes you get accepted because you DO suck as an artist. In any case I definitely encourage you to GET ANGRY with some stranger on the internet because they called what they saw dismal...(no but seriously, don't try to blame me). I know people who got into RISD and Yale, but got rejected by schools that weren't even in the top 100.

Also, UCSB being commercial??? HA HA HA... I don't even know what you mean by that considering you guys say your sources are "at the top of the gallery scene", "art heavy hitters" (the fuck do either of those things even mean?), what the hell is "the gallery scene" if not completely commercial art sales? Unless you are talking about editorial work or design type stuff...which from what I'm experiencing, couldn't be farther from the truth. One of the grads is making a god damned wooden surfboard right now to do performance work on! Half of us barely make physical work...hahaha. Lackluster alum?? Jesus, just cause we don't tout that Richard Serra graduated from here or that there are two artists on Steve Turner's roster that are UCSB MFA alum (should I go on?) doesn't mean that people who graduate from here are deadbeats.

I too am personal friends with some "heavy hitters" and they didn't actually know anything about UCSB. Like they said, its no UCLA or USC, but when it comes down to it, when you are at the top, there is nowhere to go but down. I think at LEAST half of the top schools are living on their own credit half of the time. Take UC Davis for example...even their own people dont even know why they get so many applications. In the end, it really doesn't matter what school you go to, ya it might be "easier" if you get into one of the top 5, but even then, the "failure" rate is still huge at those schools too. It is all about the person from what I've seen.

Look, the lesson here is that you shouldn't take one person's opinions as the end all of what you consider your work to be. Have some confidence! Also, you should go experience things for yourself if you really want to consider a school. Like I said, I visited before I accepted.

If you want to see our work: 2012) http://artsite.arts....e/graduate/2012 2013) http://artsite.arts..../graduates-2013

Edited by HopeDreamPaint

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciated the question...and more importantly, I appreciated this question from a unique "insiders" perspective. Not many people on this forum are from Curious12345's perspective as a current grad student, who had the opportunity to view a selection of upcoming applicants work. I thought the purpose of his question was clear...and a thread of clarifying questions about the selection process appeared. Thank you Curious12345 for the original post. Personally, I had not heard any specifics about the UCSB MFA program.

I was also curious about the selection process and it was interesting to hear his feed back. Now...that said, it was not necessary to throw back the harsh language swearing and such. I understood that using the word "dismal" was not a direct reflection on the applicants who did apply (but then I did not apply to UCSB so perhaps i would feel differently had I applied) All and all, your perspective Curious12345 was interesting and your question, a learning opportunity for all of us not informed about your MFA program. Gathering and sharing information is the point of the forum.

Yes, the insider perspective was (is) excellent, no doubt! And, I, personally, have long been a fan of the program...

In the end, this tit-for-tat unfortunately became a bit heated, but the word "dismal" was indeed applied to the applicants' work being submitted...this is plainly clear in the first post.

Regardless, it is terrific to hear someone give the love to this program because it certainly does not get enough!

I appreciated the question...and more importantly, I appreciated this question from a unique "insiders" perspective. Not many people on this forum are from Curious12345's perspective as a current grad student, who had the opportunity to view a selection of upcoming applicants work. I thought the purpose of his question was clear...and a thread of clarifying questions about the selection process appeared. Thank you Curious12345 for the original post. Personally, I had not heard any specifics about the UCSB MFA program.

I was also curious about the selection process and it was interesting to hear his feed back. Now...that said, it was not necessary to throw back the harsh language swearing and such. I understood that using the word "dismal" was not a direct reflection on the applicants who did apply (but then I did not apply to UCSB so perhaps i would feel differently had I applied) All and all, your perspective Curious12345 was interesting and your question, a learning opportunity for all of us not informed about your MFA program. Gathering and sharing information is the point of the forum.

That's too bad man, it's a solid program with epic funding...

I'm sure it is and my lack of interest really has nothing to do with the school (although this thread has turned it even more sour). I lived in Southern Cal. for 8 years and that was about 5 years too long. I just don't care for it that much. Though I do enjoy visiting San Diego and San Francisco. Yes, it did apply to UCLA because of its high rep and funding levels and a couple of schools in San Fran because it's a great city. But I just don't care much for all the real estate in between the two San's. I just don't dig the wall to wall sprawl, masses of people, and high cost of living.

I'm just saying if you want to promote a school, then talk about the damn school and not the applicants. End of story. But really... I'm sure the program will be great for those who want to go there. Good funding at UC Santa Barbara is much better than no funding at $57K-a-year Columbia any day. :)

• 1 month later...

@Curious12345... I found this thread interesting and helpful. Question...

I am applying to the UCSB MFA program this year for Fall 2013 admission. What is the first/ most important part of the application does the admission comittee look at? \

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

@Curious12345... I found this thread interesting and helpful. Question...

I am applying to the UCSB MFA program this year for Fall 2013 admission. What is the first/ most important part of the application does the admission comittee look at? \

Thanks.

Portfolio. Portfolio is always first.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure it is and my lack of interest really has nothing to do with the school (although this thread has turned it even more sour). I lived in Southern Cal. for 8 years and that was about 5 years too long. I just don't care for it that much. Though I do enjoy visiting San Diego and San Francisco. Yes, it did apply to UCLA because of its high rep and funding levels and a couple of schools in San Fran because it's a great city. But I just don't care much for all the real estate in between the two San's. I just don't dig the wall to wall sprawl, masses of people, and high cost of living.

I'm just saying if you want to promote a school, then talk about the damn school and not the applicants. End of story. But really... I'm sure the program will be great for those who want to go there. Good funding at UC Santa Barbara is much better than no funding at $57K-a-year Columbia any day. :)

I disagree with you there, good applicants make the school that much better. More applicants = more competition = more win for everyone. No one talks about the schools that the no ones came from before they even had a chance to become somebody, but they ALWAYS talk about the someones and where they went after they did become somebody, catch my drift? UC Davis gets absurdly high number of applicants because of the Bruce Nauman and Co. that went there in the 70s. That creates more competition there in the 2010's. When I said dismal, I really do mean that. Dismal applicants included people who failed to research the program and submitted industrial design portfolios, graphic design portfolios, and so on. We don't have either of those programs available in the art dept, therefore dismally prepared. Their work may have been stellar in their respective fields, but very dismally prepared. Its like applying for a gardening job with an advertising resume, it just doesn't make sense.

As for the rest of the questions, Michael Webster is 100% dead on, portfolio! That and coherence of your statement vs. the portfolio. Artists today have a wide range of practice, myself included, and that means there is a lot to look at. Focus on visual coherence! How does it all tie into what you are interested in? The faculty are aware of contemporary art making and its many forms, so don't think you have to have work that all looks the same or is all the same medium, just make sure it "flows", THAT will get you noticed. Also, it is a GREAT idea to have someone else read your statement and look at your work to see if it makes sense, hopefully you are fortunate enough to have worked with someone who is familiar with your practice...and lastly COME VISIT US! :)

• 1 year later...

This is a very, very sensible post which I would really advise people to take heed of.

Think to yourselves: where will I gain more experience at the absolute hub of American Culture - sitting in the rain at Yale watching your classmates take another adderal, or at the #1 party university in the US ?

Take your time.

Think to yourselves: where will I gain more experience at the absolute hub of American Culture - sitting in the rain at Yale watching your classmates take another adderal, or at the #1 party university in the US ?

Just chiming in to say that this made me LOL

To answer your actual question - I hate SoCal, having grown up there, and I need to stay where I am right now. I'm sure I would have looked at the program if I was open to moving. All the UCs look like pretty decent programs.

I will say though that your posts are kind of an anti-recruitment. You seem to have good reasons for the word you used but damn, it's called respect. If that's what crits are like there, I don't want to go! I came from a place where we chose our words with care. Dismal is an interesting choice even for careless applicants. If there were 7-9 good applicants then that is enough, no? To say they're dismal is an implied insult to those who do eventually get in. "You only got in because you were a notch above dismal!" Doesn't really successfully promote your school.

Also, I'd assume that most MFA apps, like any type of apps, are fairly uncompetitive, and that it's really only 20% of applicants who are ever really in the running at selective school programs. People don't necessarily have an accurate grasp of where they stand, but that's how it is and ever will be.

Why are people responding to a two year old thread? :huh:

Because the program needs recruitment... Even if it's only on gradcafe? I have a friend who went to ucsb and loved it. I think it's because she got to surf between classes.

Edited by Yellow Magnet

Yeah the OP probably already has his MFA by now. :lol:  

Good observation, I have gotten my MFA since I last posted - I stand behind my words and think that people should apply to the program because it has a lot to offer! It is so small and gets a good amount of applicants, so treating it as a safety school is not very smart.

Edited by Curious12345

Hi, yes, I def. applied to UCSB because it has, as you mentioned, excellent funding (an understatement), terrific resources (fine overall research university, connections with the MAT program, awesome Film Studies and other intellectual/departmental connections ,etc), and highly interdisciplinary in nature (a boon for a "new genres" person such as myself).

As far as the program having a high profile with "recruiters", et al, no. It doesn't seem to be promoted like places such as CalArts, etc., but I don't expect it to be. Mainly, I found out about it through other artists (MFA's mainly, at my current university, UCSD) who all recommended it as a place to apply.

So, I hope my application was not one of the "dismal" ones... ;)

Hey, Am an international student, have been invited for yale sculpture interview scheduled for wednesday, do you have any concern about this program you will like to share? haven teen preview to seeing their facilities though, so…any tip?