Mechanical Engineering Fall 2012 Results

impulse_nerve

at least they are replying to the emails :)

in addition here are some stats that i found from the grad cafe archives they may not give an accurate pic but may serve as an indication

In 2011 mech started reporting approx by 24 feb

in 2010 by 12 feb

in 2009 by 24 feb

so they shud start this year between 15th to 25th feb i think.

Just FYI: Purdue ME has had a problem for the last two years where they are exceeding their internal enrollment cap. That, coupled with funding sources drying out will make admissions much more selective this year. Don't be surprised if they expect you to pay for your education - thats how they make up for lost funding.

Edited by AbaNader

I don't know if this helps anyone but I got an informal offer from JHU. The POI said formal offers will be sent after visit days (which she invited me to) which is after Feb. 24th. If you haven't gotten an offer yet, then don't despair...it seems official offers are sent much later. In fact, if you haven't gotten a rejection yet, that might be a good sign.

I don't know if this helps anyone but I got an informal offer from JHU. The POI said formal offers will be sent after visit days (which she invited me to) which is after Feb. 24th. If you haven't gotten an offer yet, then don't despair...it seems official offers are sent much later. In fact, if you haven't gotten a rejection yet, that might be a good sign.

Hope so... ;)

Hope so... ;)

Got into MIT MechE, but very confused about financial aid. They said- all the students are admitted without assistantship, and later matched with advisors. Now, what happens if they don't find a match? Do I need to pay on my own (which is not going to happen)?

Got into MIT MechE, but very confused about financial aid. They said- all the students are admitted without assistantship, and later matched with advisors. Now, what happens if they don't find a match? Do I need to pay on my own (which is not going to happen)?

Congratulations!

I'm still waiting on MIT, Caltech and UCSB. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Edited by AbaNader

Congratulations!

I'm still waiting on MIT, Caltech and UCSB. Do you mind sharing your stats?

BS in Aerospace Engineering, BS in Physics, Minor in Mathematics (a top US public university)

GPA: 3.99/4.00 (Both of my majors GPAs are 4.0)

GRE: 650/800/4.5 (V/Q/Q)

TOEFL: 117/120

Research experience.

• Lab A: 3 years in a space science lab (2 summers)
  • Lab B: 1.5 years in a dark energy research lab (1 summer)
  • In freshman year, worked on a student team design project (but I don't think it was "research").
  • Currently working in both the labs.

Awards:
    • Important one is: one of the top 3 juniors in the engineering college.

Others:
      • Advanced coursework: completed 1/2 of the requirements of a Masters degree as an undergrad.
      • One semester study abroad. 2 months of work abroad.
      • Working as an academic adviser for 2 years now.

LORs:

• Research adviser in lab A (see "Research experience" above).
        • Professor under whom I took a graduate class in my junior year.
        • Work supervisor (a PhD) for my advising job.

Publications:

[*]NIL. But one article in an undergraduate research journal.

Stuff I don't have:

[*]Never did any research outside the university. Limited industrial experience.

[*]Don't have any contact with any professor at MIT.

And thank you AbaNader. It would be a shame if I don't get to go there for not getting any funding.

I'm still waiting on MIT as well. Did anyone else get in? Based on previous years' results, they send out most acceptances within a span of a few days. The decisions released later in March are almost always rejections...

Edited by 10sor

Not much. Just stated that I should look for RAship from professors with matching interest. They will only notify about fellowships after the open house.

Same here. But getting an MIT fellowship is probably not my thing.

^^ Were the emails for Stanford MS or PhD? I applied for MS and haven't heard anything yet... Quite a few of my friends were admitted to the MS program without funding in early Feb. My background is similar to many of theirs, so I hope it'll turn out alright.