• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what stage the UVA adcom is in? Does UVA do interviews?

If last year is any indication, you've got a LONG wait ahead of you. Last year, UVA was still sorting application materials well into February. I don't think they do interviews, but I could be wrong about that.

I've also heard that UVA runs late. I guess they're in no rush.

I've also heard that they don't give interviews. Other than Emory and Stanford, do any of the major programs bother with interviews? I feel like they'd be distracting. If you can't present yourself on paper, then no amount of presenting yourself in person can matter.

The boards have some acceptances from UVA as early as late February. I applied to UVA before I entered the MA, and at that time, I wound up in UVA purgatory for a long time -- no rejection or acceptance for the PhD or MA -- well into late March. Who knows why, perhaps because they are a state school and their funding issues are often TBD until much later in the calendar year. UVA seems to go in stages as compared to Brown or Columbia, both of which tend to make all or most of their acceptances in a single week, then release their flood of rejections the following week.

I applied to their MA program in French; the results from last season indicated that the French department gets in touch with prospective candidates at about this time. And, indeed, I got an e-mail on Sunday to attend their recruitment weekend at the end of February.

Consequently, I think that they are pretty true to form each year: most of their notifications for English begin mid-February and continue until March.

The deadline for UVA was moved up this year; last year it was Jan. 1 (I believe) and this year it was Dec. 15. That may or may not affect their timeline...

Oh crap! That's true! Now I'm having a heart attack because my rejection...I mean acceptance....no, be real, my rejection letter is likely only 3 weeks away instead of 4.

• 3 weeks later...

I am one of the acceptances, yes. Didn't get much over the phone: was too excited to ask pertinent questions.

Congrats MK! I wonder how many people they called today... I would love to go there, though I'm not holding my breath for an acceptance from them -_-

Edited by Stately Plump

Congratulations MichaelK! My heart jumped and not in a good way when I saw this topic, but I've been really philosophic about (implicit) rejections of late. I love hearing about people getting acceptances when they're feeling the most hopeless, gives us all hope. And so cool to get a phone call acceptance. Seems somehow more serious, like they want you more, even though I know it's just how certain schools do things. Out of curiosity, what's your focus? And was UVa your top choice or are you still waiting on others?

Thanks everybody for the congratulations. As evidenced by my post today in the 0% thread, I was in no way expecting good news. I wish I'd asked some questions so I could offer you all some insights into whether they admitted all today or not (though I would have had to phrase that sort of question cleverly).

For Yank: my focus is modern and postcolonial literature with a dash of posthumanist philsophy thrown in for good measure.

Oof, the wait list postings on the results board seem to confirm an implicit rejection over here. On to the next one!

Yea, it's def discouraging seeing wait-listers on the results board but having no wait-list email in my inbox <_<

We don't know for sure till we know for sure, though!

Anyone know if you UVA is done?

I don't know, but I'm interested in the same information.

It seems like there have been a few acceptances and a few wait-listers. I feel like there should be more, but perhaps the other aren't on here. I haven't counted them out yet, though my sense is that with each passing day, our chances diminish greatly -_-